Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Unresponsive?

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/11, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading and posting from memory on this thread I decided to verify my earlier post. I was traveling at 55 mph tonight and dropped the hammer, car instantly dropped to second and was gone. I'm not sure what kind of lag any of you are talking of but it's not in my car. I have also noticed that if you want the car to downshift a little more aggressively in 30-45 mph traffic, place it in the hill descent mode. it locks out overdrive and will respond quicker under lighter throttle applications.
All of you auto haters start hitting the drag strip and you tell me which cars are running quicker, more consistant times.
Old 5/11/12, 08:38 AM

My '06 GT auto is doing this as well. It's normal about 85% of the time but it does weird stuff. Yesterday, I was doing about 40, almost missed a turn I was looking for, braked hard, made the turn and then started to accelerate down the other road. When i hit the gas, it kinda revved, did nothing, then jumped like I had popped the clutch on my 1st time driving a stick. It does this from time to time. Infrequently enough to make me think something is wrong with the tranny.

So do I need to get the car tuned? For reference: its a 42k mile GT convertible with an auto tranny and the only 'mod' is the BBK cold air intake (done by previous owner)

thanks
Old 5/11/12, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
If it is just the adaptive learning in the transmission from babying the car too much, you can either drive it like you stole it for several minutes or some people have pulled the battery cable or fuse to clear out the memory.
Holy crap that's the second time I heard that and I'm babying mine, the SVT Shelby manager said the same thing too. I'd hate to turn it into a Buick regal from all my careful driving
Old 5/11/12, 03:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
Nothing to do with the torque converter. Its like all moderen autos on electronically controlled throttle cars\trucks. They build in safety lag to make sure you really want that acceleration. It can be removed with a tune.
that's stupid. If anything, the lag itself is a safety hazard. when I mash the skinny pedal, there's usually a reason.

in my work truck (2010 E-350) to get around this, I load up the converter by pushing both the brake and the gas, that way there's no lag. If I just mash the pedal from a dead stop....... one Mississippi...... two Mississippi...... three Mississippi..... van starts moving, get rear-ended.

Chock it up to drive by wire. If I could find a way to switch my mustang to cable/linkage, I would, in all my other cars/trucks cable throttle has been problem/maintenance free over hundreds of thousands of miles.

Sometimes new technology is actually a step backward....