Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Unresponsive?

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/11, 07:04 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unresponsive?

Every so often when I press down on the accelerator the car doesn't seem to rev or even make noise until a few seconds after. Almost like not stepping on the gas. Other times when I do the car takes off like a bat out of hell. Any ideas why this is on my 12 GT auto?
Old 7/23/11, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JohnNy5126
Every so often when I press down on the accelerator the car doesn't seem to rev or even make noise until a few seconds after. Almost like not stepping on the gas. Other times when I do the car takes off like a bat out of hell. Any ideas why this is on my 12 GT auto?
Dont have a clue. Take it to the stealer. Its just one more reason to hate drive by wire. I betcha that is at least part of the problem. Its what we have to.
Old 7/23/11, 07:26 AM
GT Member

If it is just the adaptive learning in the transmission from babying the car too much, you can either drive it like you stole it for several minutes or some people have pulled the battery cable or fuse to clear out the memory.

It may also be the traction control depending on your situation.

Is this straight line or when turning? I found the auto tranny to be sluggish as hell especially in turn situations.

Edit: My previous car (Mercedes) had a way to reset the adaptive learning. You can read it here as I have NO IDEA if it works on the Mustang or not: http://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/1...set-works.html

Last edited by Timeless; 7/23/11 at 07:28 AM.
Old 7/23/11, 07:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All auto's do this. This is why a tune is important on a auto just for this and the **** points and firmness.
Old 7/23/11, 01:10 PM

Yep. Took mine to the dealer and reproduced it and he told me "that's how it works"
Old 7/23/11, 01:29 PM
Cobra R Member

I've noticed a slight delay that I think is attributable to the spool-up of the torque converter, particularly if you've slowed down greatly from a higher speed and then try to accelerate, where you find yourself waiting momentarily for the transmission to downshift back into 1st or a at least a lower gear. (which is exactly what it is doing).

I think there's a way to tighten up this response, and it is what I am hoping a tune will mitigate. Oh wait, we can't have no stinkin' tunes!!
Old 7/23/11, 03:29 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
All auto's do this. This is why a tune is important on a auto just for this and the **** points and firmness.
the censors
Old 7/24/11, 05:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Nothing to do with the torque converter. Its like all moderen autos on electronically controlled throttle cars\trucks. They build in safety lag to make sure you really want that acceleration. It can be removed with a tune.
Old 7/24/11, 07:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
Nothing to do with the torque converter. Its like all moderen autos on electronically controlled throttle cars\trucks. They build in safety lag to make sure you really want that acceleration. It can be removed with a tune.
Really? What kind of tune? I guess this is one reason why everyone wants a manual tranny.
Old 7/24/11, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I think you're stuck with it. I was hoping the tune would fix this, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

It's really annoying when you do a rolling stop, say for a right hand turn at an intersection, then put your foot in to it enough to accelerate, and the tranny stays in 3rd for several seconds. It's almost like it's saying: are you sure you want to accelerate?

Another instance would be accelerating from a stop with traffic. Someone in front of you slows causing you to briefly lift off the gas. Now the trans upshifts several gears, but when you put your foot back into it, it won't downshift.

It wasn't too bothersome with the stock mufflers, but with axel-backs the drone as you apply throttle while being stuck at 1000 rpm is awful. I hate to sound so negative, but I have serious buyers remorse about getting the auto.

Last edited by Keystone; 7/24/11 at 08:34 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 7/24/11, 10:31 AM
V6 Member

It is ridiculous. There's such a delay when u staples on the gas its like you're not even stepping on it until a few seconds later.
Old 7/24/11, 10:32 AM
V6 Member

There were no gear options with the auto was there?
Old 7/24/11, 11:05 AM

There is a 3.31 gear option with the automatic trans from ford. They're real hard to come by at least here in nj. I ended up ordering my car with them from ford.
Old 7/24/11, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0

Wrong. My auto doesn't do this. When I hit the gas it goes.
Old 7/24/11, 12:16 PM
V6 Member

Mine does it. It doesn't do it as much now that I installed a CAI, but I can tell it still does a little. I'm hoping the Street Tune from a Bama tuner will help as soon as I have the funds to order one. If not, I'll just punch the gas a little more. I drove a stick for too long through clogged Atlanta traffic to feel anything but relief with my automatic. No remorse here.
Old 7/24/11, 03:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Wrong. My auto doesn't do this. When I hit the gas it goes.
So does mine....I havent experienced the excessive lag the op is describing...
Old 7/24/11, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine certainly doesn't lag longer then it would take in a manual to drop three gears.
Old 7/24/11, 04:12 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
If it is just the adaptive learning in the transmission from babying the car too much, you can either drive it like you stole it for several minutes or some people have pulled the battery cable or fuse to clear out the memory.
Agreed. My Chrysler winter car is an auto and it adapts. If I've been driving too careful (snow & ice) for awhile it shifts & accelerates slower, though not necessarily what the OP is describing. But when I reset the battery, drive it like I stole it, it is much more responsive after that.

Worth a try... its free and doesn't mess with your warranty.

PS: research your owner's manual too.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/24/11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 7/24/11, 06:01 PM

Nothing against Auto owner, that's one of the reason i have been driving manual transmission for 20+ years. I have drove many automatic cars and i cant stand every single one to a certain degrees. If the lag didn't get you, the gear hunting will. Step on the gas, 1 sec later then car drop down 2 or 3 gears and as soon as you let go of the gas, jump up 2 or 3 gears. I pray to god that there will always be cars with 3 peddles. The way things are going, i would not to surprise to see all automatics in 20 yrs.
Old 7/24/11, 06:01 PM
V6 Member

I've got 3.73 gears and a tune in my 2011 GT auto. When you step on it, it downshifts and goes like a bat out of hell.

I've found that the nature of the auto seems to seek the highest gear as soon as possible, so when you go to punch it while rolling at some speeds it occasionally seems laggy. A tuner can probably help with this 'issue', though honestly I don't think I want any worse gas mileage than what I'm getting now .

I have absolutely no remorse about getting the auto. It is a beast, plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Unresponsive?