Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Tuner and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/11, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner and warranty

I have an SCT tune from Bamma/American Muscle. Is there anyway to fully remove the tune? I am worried that I will have my warranty voided.
Any thoughts on this?
Old 9/25/11, 04:00 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What year vehicle?
Old 9/25/11, 04:28 PM

Sorry, 2011 Mustang GT, manual, base model.
Old 9/25/11, 04:33 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by jimj3125
Sorry, 2011 Mustang GT, manual, base model.
Too late if you put it on. It's tracable. There is no way to remove it. Only way I could see working is if you buy a new pcm and have it programed for your vehicle. But be ready to pay a couple grand.
Old 9/25/11, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

My friends is the service manager for a gm dealer, They do it all time, especially on Diesel trucks.
Old 9/26/11, 12:28 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

The pcm don't forget that it had been tuned. and nothing you do will erase that it had been tuned. Good luck when you try to make a warranty claim lmao.
Old 9/26/11, 02:25 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The PCM may have a flash counter. Not sure. But it won't tell where the flash came from. Not sure. From what I remember at GM, disconnect the battery and touch the positive and negative cables together, that should erase any learned data.
Old 9/26/11, 02:25 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Secondhandloser

As a guy working in computer hardware for one of the biggest companies out there, I'd love to know how you do it.
From an (admittedly cursory) look at the PCM, I find your claim extremely difficult to believe. If Ford has some magical trick and you understand it, there is an opp here for you to make a lot more than you make now.
There is a new pcm flash counter built into the pcm. It counts the number of times the pcm has been flashed.

We can compare the flash count with the vehicles history to see if someone other than Ford has messed with the pcm.

Say there is a pcm update out. And a mustang gets the update. The pcm will show that it has been flashed again. But we can look in the history and see when it was flashed.

When a vehicle comes in with 15 flashes on the flash count and there has only been one update and the history shows it has received the update then we know the vehicle should show 2 flash count and not 15. It's pretty simple and straight forward.
Old 9/26/11, 02:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
There is a new pcm flash counter built into the pcm. It counts the number of times the pcm has been flashed.

We can compare the flash count with the vehicles history to see if someone other than Ford has messed with the pcm.

Say there is a pcm update out. And a mustang gets the update. The pcm will show that it has been flashed again. But we can look in the history and see when it was flashed.

When a vehicle comes in with 15 flashes on the flash count and there has only been one update and the history shows it has received the update then we know the vehicle should show 2 flash count and not 15. It's pretty simple and straight forward.

How do you differentiate between a hard reset? How about a failed factory flash that increments the counter but must be re-performed?
Old 9/26/11, 02:39 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

How do you differentiate between a hard reset? How about a failed factory flash that increments the counter but must be re-performed?
Hard resets do not count as a reflash therefore the counter ignores them. A hard reset clears the kam. But does not reflash the pcm. And if there is a failed flash the tech records that in the vehicle history
Old 9/26/11, 02:45 PM
V6 Member

Hard resets do not count as a reflash therefore the counter ignores them. A hard reset clears the kam. But does not reflash the pcm. And if there is a failed flash the tech records that in the vehicle history
From what I've seen, a hard reset on the PCM will reset flash count to 1

More importantly, since the counter is unprotected...what do you do about people resetting it?

Lots of techs fail to record such things...
Old 9/26/11, 02:49 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

From what I've seen, a hard reset on the PCM will reset flash count to 1

More importantly, since the counter is unprotected...what do you do about people resetting it?

Lots of techs fail to record such things...
To access the flash count one must obtain a rotunda ids. Even then we cannot reset the flash count.

Flash count is not stored in the kam so no hard reset will not clear it.

And if someone figures out how to hack it then good job. They are now able to claim warranty

Easiest way to get rid of it is to order a pcm through ford and install it. And I'm not completely shure that will even work.
Old 9/26/11, 03:07 PM

So I'm enjoying the back and forth here, thanks. Quick question for you all, I had a SCT tuner (93 octane) tune on my 2011 5.0 for about 9 months, after which i could noticably hear a misfire. I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to fixing mustangs so I took it into Ford. Ford had to flash it back to stock, they removed my CAI, and told me that the tune caused the engine to run too hot and it ruined the coils, also caused me to drop a cylinder. Anyone else with similar problems or experience? I got a memo then from Ford telling me that tuners will void my warranty...I want to reinstall as the car ran like a dream before...but is it worth it?
Old 9/26/11, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Matty27x
So I'm enjoying the back and forth here, thanks. Quick question for you all, I had a SCT tuner (93 octane) tune on my 2011 5.0 for about 9 months, after which i could noticably hear a misfire. I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to fixing mustangs so I took it into Ford. Ford had to flash it back to stock, they removed my CAI, and told me that the tune caused the engine to run too hot and it ruined the coils, also caused me to drop a cylinder. Anyone else with similar problems or experience? I got a memo then from Ford telling me that tuners will void my warranty...I want to reinstall as the car ran like a dream before...but is it worth it?
What tune did u have on it? Since that was a while ago tuners messed with the knock sensors to push these 5.0s to the limit. They have since learned from their mistakes and have corrected their errors.
Old 9/26/11, 03:12 PM
V6 Member

To access the flash count one must obtain a rotunda ids. Even then we cannot reset the flash count.

Flash count is not stored in the kam so no hard reset will not clear it.

And if someone figures out how to hack it then good job. They are now able to claim warranty

Easiest way to get rid of it is to order a pcm through ford and install it. And I'm not completely shure that will even work.
It's not difficult to hack the firmware. Passing a reset command will take care of it.

More to the point, one without any skill could readily sc the PCM leaving no evidence.
Old 9/26/11, 03:17 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

It's not difficult to hack the firmware. Passing a reset command will take care of it.

More to the point, one without any skill could readily sc the PCM leaving no evidence.
As far as I know its in a seperate part of the pcm module and not the pcm itself. A standard one can not locate it. Requires fords ids. Not saying it isn't hackable. But as far as I know of it has yet to be hacked. And based on some ppls post here I would not say some ppl could easily do it. The tool to access the counter is not cheap. Several grand actually.

If you can do it I say go for it. Sure you could make some good money with that power.
Old 9/26/11, 03:23 PM
V6 Member

I've got no intentions to tune personally. Just saying, it's not difficult to reverse engineer the setup. And of course, don't be surprised when a huge number of customers come in with smoking pcms
Old 9/26/11, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
What tune did u have on it? Since that was a while ago tuners messed with the knock sensors to push these 5.0s to the limit. They have since learned from their mistakes and have corrected their errors.
I'd have to check. I had the shop do it after the CAI was installed. He told me it was a 93 octane tune, also eliminated skip shift. I had heard elsewhere that there has been a documented cylinder problem with the 5.0 so hoping tune had nothing to do with it.
Old 9/26/11, 03:25 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
all the documented cylinder problems were due to tune.
Old 9/26/11, 03:26 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I've got no intentions to tune personally. Just saying, it's not difficult to reverse engineer the setup. And of course, don't be surprised when a huge number of customers come in with smoking pcms
So is this position you were talking about still open?

Quick Reply: Tuner and warranty