Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Troubleshooting o2 sensors and long tube headers issues

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/24, 02:38 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,915 Posts
I Was Pointing Towards The Noise App I Guess I Should Have Been Specific.

There is Also Talk on Driveshaft in The Thread!

No Pun Intended For The Finger Loss & Pointing!

Kc
The following users liked this post:
krcn (4/5/24)
Old 4/5/24, 10:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by krcn
I replaced both upstream o2 sensors.
Rear sensors dont show any error because I used defoulers.
I dont have any device because its almost impossible to get it in my country. Shipping a bama tuner will be like 700 total including taxes.
I believe you misinterpreted my statement, so I'll clarify... What I intended to say was before your car was shipped to Europe, the previous owner used a hand-held tuning device to re-flash your vehicle's ECM with a calibration tune designed to run Long Tube headers... Once the vehicle was re-flashed, the original stock calibration tune was then transferred into the hand-held tuning device where it is kept stored in the device's memory until in the event the vehicle requires being returned to the stock calibration tune...

Therefore, unless the previous owner of your car included the hand-held tuning device which stores the original stock calibration tune within its memory, you will not be able to re-flash your vehicle back to the original/stock calibration, if in the event it should ever become necessary... I know this thru personal experience, as the previous owner of my car misplaced his hand-held tuning device which still has the original/stock calibration tune in the device, so if in the event I would ever need to return my car back to the original stock calibration tune, I would then have to take my car back to a Ford dealership and have them re-upload the original stock calibration tune into my car's ECM...

In the meantime, I hope this clarifies any misinterpretations on my part... And I'm also very pleased that your car is now back up and running fine since replacing the front 02 sensors... Congrats!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/5/24 at 10:06 PM.
Old 4/10/24, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tips how to deal with o2 sensors on BBK long tube headers

Hello everyone!

I finally managed to fix my o2 sensors for good and I thought it might be helpful for someone dealing with similar issues.

I spent roughly 2 weeks of non stop research about long tubes on different cars, o2 sensors, BBK, moisture, sensor placement etc.

As you probably know, running BBK long tube headers and an off road x pipe deletes the cats so you WILL get 2 codes. Getting rid of them is quite simple, just get defoulers or a tune to disable rear/downstream sensors on both banks.
The whole journey starts when there are problems with your upstream sensors.
Example error codes - P0155, P2627, P2254, P2251 and many more that will indicate faulty sensor.

Your o2 sensors MIGHT be bad if you see P2254 and P2251, but most likely they just swim in moisture that cause them to not read the air/fuel ratio properly.
BBK long tubes o2 holes are positioned in a so bad angle that the moisture gets to them and cause those errors.
How to fix it? Place them on a 45 angle facing transmission, a little bit closer to the top or use o2 sensor heat sinks. It won't make your readings bad and for sure it will secure the sensor from getting wet.

Sometimes your o2 sensor extensions could go bad, so just swap them and check if errors follow up with the bank they're currently in.

In my case P2627 and P2254 indicated bad o2 sensors, I replaced them with used ones, deleted codes and P2254/P2251 showed up right after driving around 10 kilometers.

Hope this will help and someone will manage to fix their sensors and BBK headers. I was so desperate I wanted to sell them and buy original headers with cats but this time I won
Hit me up on priv if you've got any questions.

PS: Fix applies to both 3.7 and 5.0 engines.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/11/24 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Thread link attachment deleted, as it's no longer necessary.
The following users liked this post:
Bert (4/10/24)
Old 4/10/24, 04:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,031 Posts
thanks for posting
Old 4/11/24, 11:11 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated and glad you figured out a solution regarding the front 02 sensors.

Also, just wanted to let the OP and everyone else know that I went ahead and merged "The dealing with 02 sensors on BBK long tube headers and "02 sensors and long tube header issues" into one thread ...

The reason, both threads were pretty much directly related to one another and didn't think it was necessary to have 2 or more separate threads floating around that are directly related to the same topic...
Therefore, it should now be much more convenient and easier to locate all troubleshooting steps in one place.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/11/24 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Merged the dealing with 02 sensors on BBK long tube headers and 02 sensors and long tube headers issues into one thread