Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Tire Question - Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/12, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tire Question - Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S

Can anyone tell me if the stock Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S is a side specific tire.
I was taking off my winter tires, and putting the Pirelli's back on, when I noticed the tire tread on the passenger side tires was running in reverse of the tire tread on the drivers side. The tires are mounted correctly (they are marked 'Inner" on the inside of the tires. They have never been off the rims. They came from the factory this way.

I went into the dealer this morning for the differential vent failure, and showed the advisor the tires. He said he had never seen this before and gave me the Ford customer service number. I have sent an e-mail to Pirelli, but have not received an answer. I was waiting to call Ford to see if Pirelli responds.

In the mean time, I was wondering if anyone has reported this in the past. I googled for two hours last night and saw the same questions on the BMW, Audi and Mercedes forums, but no definitive answer. I am attempting to load photos, but there was a "security token" missing.Not sure what that means.
Old 3/14/12, 11:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
They are called asymetric nondirectional tires. This means that even though the tread LOOKS like it should go one way, it doesn't matter. My Cooper Zeon RS3-As are the same way: Looks unidirectional, but aren't. Do not worry about it, they're designed to be that way on purpose.

They are made to also, in the case of the Coopers, and I suspect the Pirellis too, to cross rotate, meaning the X pattern can be employed for every other rotation, to ensure even wear. If you care to, that is, I'm sorta the "one way" kind of guy and go back-front only. Seems to work well so far, no weird wear patterns...

Last edited by houtex; 3/14/12 at 11:31 PM.
Old 3/15/12, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Thank you! I appreciate your answer. I have been concerned about driving at speed until I received some type of response from Pirelli or Ford, especially when the dealer said they had never seen anything like that before and referred me to Ford to solve the "problem".

Like you, I do the front to back rotation and that was what drew my attention to the tread design appearing to run backwards on the passenger side when I installed them, after taking my winters off.
Old 3/16/12, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 12 GT which I picked up last week also has these tires. If you read the owners manual, Ford does recommend you rotate using the X pattern.
Old 3/17/12, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by redneb
My 12 GT which I picked up last week also has these tires. If you read the owners manual, Ford does recommend you rotate using the X pattern.
Yep...I only rotate front to back. I was taking my Blizzaks off and putting the Pirelli's back on when I noticed the sidewall has a rotation indicator. On the drivers side it is pointed forward, while the passenger side points to the rear of the car. And the tread pattern points down on the drivers side and up on the passenger side. That was my concern. But, HOUTEX cleared that up for me.
Old 3/22/12, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

I just received Pirelli's answer to my e-mail...here it is. Thanks again to HOUTEX for setting me straight.

" We thank you for your recent inquiry. The PZero Nero A/S is not a directional tire, it is asymmetric. The tire does specify outside or outer and should be mounted with outside visible when on the vehicle. This will indicate that the tires are mounted properly for the vehicle.

Pirelli Tire North America
Consumer Affairs "
Old 3/22/12, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does an asymmetrical tire have a rotation indicator?
Old 3/23/12, 04:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ordie
How does an asymmetrical tire have a rotation indicator?
That was my question to Pirelli. If you look at the side wall of the tire it appears to have an elongated arrow pointing to the front of the car on the drivers side and to the rear of the car on the passenger side. My question to Pirelli was simply is this tire side specific.

Apparently, what looked like a direction of rotation indicator is simply a design placed on the side wall and has nothing to do with rotation direction.

I "googled" this to death before I posted my original question and found confusion about this on other forums, i.e., BMW, Audi and Mercedes. But, no one ever received a definitive answer.
Old 3/23/12, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Coopers clearly have an "OUTSIDE" in text marked on them. Or "INSIDE". I wanna say "OUTSIDE". Maybe it was both, I dunno, I forget, I slept, the dog ate my homework, the bus was late again, and THEY made me do it.

But there wasn't any mistaking it unless you couldn't read that word, whichever it is. I'm not sure the Pirellis would use an arrow, as that's direction, but whatevers. I'm not goin' back to 'em any time soon as long as Cooper makes the Zeon RS3-A's.

Last edited by houtex; 3/23/12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 3/24/12, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea mine have "Outside" on them.. never really looked for a rotation indicator though.
Old 3/24/12, 10:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just confirming my previous:

OUTSIDE

it says on the sidewall.