Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Starting 1/10 tries.

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/20, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting 1/10 tries.

Hey guys have a 2012 mustang v6 that won’t start all the time. It’s a manual trans, and so basically when it doesn’t start it’s as if I’m trying to start it without stepping on the clutch. Even though the clutch is fully engaged. After a few tries it eventually starts if I’m lucky but it’s getting worse. Still have electricity through the whole car, checked the breaker and the fuse relay for the starter and tried swapping them, so I’m curious will this be a clutch problem? The car shifts fine while it’s driving and when it does engage the starter it fires up quick, so looking to see if this would be ignition signal problem or a sensor in the clutch line
Old 1/28/20, 11:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
That'll be a starter. Having just had one do this sort of thing m'self on a Dodge Caliber, and having to extract that thing and swap it out. Ought to be pretty easy to swap out. I'd advise you get the thing on jackstands, take the right front wheel off for some better access, have a loooong extension... and one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flexible-...lack/517682434

And this would be a good thing to have as well to go with that:
https://www.harborfreight.com/48v-14...kit-56544.html

Notasponsor, notarecommendationperse, either example. Although the mini driver... you can use any 1/4" driver you like, I'd guess.

I picked up the flexible shaft from... somewhere. Auto parts store I think, can't say which. I found it interesting and thought maybe... and I got that lil' mini driver, and together, they made working on that starter MUCH easier in my Mustang. Sitting in the area the wheel used to be in the right wheel well. First, you break them loose with the looong extension, which you'd use to also tighten them, and then you drive them off with the flex/driver combo. Reverse installation. Hands can't fit. Loooong extension makes it difficult to thread the bolts in (I suppose taking them off isn't all that bad). If that helps any.

As to why it's a starter... well, I dunno your experience/knowledge about the things, but the commutator and brushes are hitting a dead spot. A bad bit of wiring, either shorting out or open and won't flow. It's intermittent, but will get worse. You might can, if you can get a tool down there, smack the starter (loooong extension and a brass hammer work, or maybe a dead blow hammer) and then it turns over. Doing this while someone is 'starting' the car would work better than just you flailing on it then trying to start the car solo.

I did this on that Caliber. Weirdest thing. Thing didn't have any starting issues. It'd always started until this just happened out of the blue. Parked it, went outside, thing wouldn't start. Read codes (weren't any), smacked the starter as described with looooong extension and dead blow, and voila it started. Stopped the motor to reset my trip that was interrupted, and it was done done done. No more smacking would fix it. So... swap starter. Killed my weekend, for the most part, that thing did NOT want to be extracted. Miserable configuration. And bolts that were just that kind of annoyingly positioned and never had been touched since manufacture. Fun times.

Anyway. For what that diatribe is worth in helping explain my theory on your issue. They mostly do what you're describing, not just go out like mine did.

And for sure, if I'm wrong, that's fine. I'm sure someone else will be by to help out. But I think I got it...

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums!

Last edited by houtex; 1/28/20 at 11:11 PM.
Old 1/29/20, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
but first, make sure that switch on the clutch pedal is working properly -- not sure how to do that, but there has to be a way!

when you say "it's like I am not stepping on the clutch" you mean that nothing happens, like when that safety switch is not engaged; NOT that the car is moving forward when you turn the starter, right?
Old 1/29/20, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
but first, make sure that switch on the clutch pedal is working properly -- not sure how to do that, but there has to be a way!

when you say "it's like I am not stepping on the clutch" you mean that nothing happens, like when that safety switch is not engaged; NOT that the car is moving forward when you turn the starter, right?
This was what I was thinking also. Clutch pedal safety switch and or what ever it is called. At least take a look under there and see what you can see. maybe something loose under there?
Old 1/29/20, 09:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Ooooh... Great point! I totally forgot about that. Darned automagics making me forget already...