Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

A recent aftermarket audio experience

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/14, 09:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A recent aftermarket audio experience

As many of you probably know from a previous post I had purchased a Clarion NX605 from a dealer in West Kelowna, B.C. on 10th October. The install date was this past Thursday (17th).

After the install was complete I was told to pair the Iphone with the Bluetooth when I was a few blocks from the shop. No problem this worked fine. When I got home about 20 mins later I could not get the cd player to work. All the other features worked fine but no cd/dvd action. So I phoned the install outlet and was advised to bring the Mustang in on Friday to have a technician look over the Clarion. The technician could not figure out the problem. So I was advised by the manager of the install shop that they could put my original factory stereo back in the Mustang and they would ship the Clarion back to the manufacturer for warranty repair.

I explained to the installation manager that this was not right they should have checked to see if the unit was working properly before they installed it in the Mustang. His response was that all they do is install the product and when they do so they "assume" that the unit is working properly. If there is a problem with the unit after installation this creates a warranty relationship between the manufacturer and the customer. Their view essentially was we have your money now, end of story.

So I went back to the outlet where I bought the Clarion unit to speak to the manager who I found out was on holiday. So I spoke to the assistant manger and advised him of the situation. His response was welcome to the electronic world, we are not required to make sure the unit works as we rely on the manufacturer's word. Basically he gave me the we only sell it attitude. I was extremely pissed when I left the store considering that the unit will install came to almost $900.00.

When I got home I called the HQ outlet and asked for the phone number and address of customer service. The young fellow on the other end realized that there was a problem and put me in direct contact with the general
manager.

The general manager took the view that the attitude of the retail outlet was an example of poor customer service. No kidding. He was also of the opinion that rather than put my factory stereo back in the Mustang his installation outlet staff should have shopped around to the other 17 locations in the province for the same Clarion model.

So needless to say he did this for me and a replacement Clarion is supposed to be back in the Mustang on Tuesday. I did explain to him that perhaps his staff should have checked the unit before the install. His response was similar to the retail staff and the installation manager that they reply on the manufacturer that the product works. But he assured me that he would make sure that the installation staff fully checks over the unit and makes sure everything works on Tuesday. I explained to the manager that I could understand perhaps having a warranty issue 6-8 months down the road but not the same day the unit is installed.

Personally if I owned the retail chain I would want to make sure anything I sold to a customer works. If not I would be bending over backwards to satisfy the customer. I understand from the General Manager that the Assistant Manager at the retail shop has a new rear end. These were his
exact words.

I just wanted to put this story there in case any of you are planning on ditching your stock stereo for an aftermarket item. This attitude is what you can expect if the aftermarket unit your purchased does not work after the install by expert and certified technicians.

Last edited by poldrv; 10/19/14 at 12:32 PM.