Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 Mustang GT Issues, Dissappointing

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/14, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mustang GT Issues, Dissappointing

Here are some issues that I am having:

1. Trunk leak: If the sun is out I see light through the area where the gasket meets the trunk right where the curved portion over the tail light is. Got a $90 new gasket, no difference, waste of time, effort and $90.

2. Weird Sound at speeds over 70 MPH : I get a weird sound at speeds of 70 and higher. Almost like a very big bee, its hard to describe but it is very noticeable.

3. Sync Stopped Working today: Sync is gone. Was working fine last night and today when my son was trying to access the USB by pressing the AUX button, sync does not even show up. It shows up for a second and then disappears.

4. Hood Paint is bubbling : Really? This is 2014, get with the program Ford, cheap thin paint and poor quality finish.

Anyway, very disappointed in Ford and the quality of its cars. First and Last Ford product, to be honest other than the heritage and the engine its complete crap for paying close to 40K for a car. Should have bought a Honda, Toyota or Hyundai, I feel as if I have wasted my money. As soon as I resolve these issues I am dumping this car. I am frustrated because I have owned a BMW, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai they were all fine, and cheaper than this (BMW was used) car by almost 10K. The biggest waste of money I have done till now. The only other car I had issues and water was my 1989 Chevy Cavalier that I bought with 100K miles on it when I started college. This has been disappointing non the less. I really enjoyed the car, but I guess there is a reason why Fords are good for Initial Quality and then its all down hill. Sorry for sounding negative, but anyone else who cares for value for money would get it.

Last edited by 2011BlackStang5.0; 10/15/14 at 05:28 PM. Reason: was not complete
Old 10/15/14, 05:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you have any of those checked out under warranty?
Old 10/15/14, 05:59 PM
GT Member

I am out of warranty! Mileage is 63K

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Did you have any of those checked out under warranty?

I am out of warranty, I have 63K on the car.
Old 10/15/14, 06:00 PM
GT Member

BTW any suggestions for fixes are welcome.
Old 10/15/14, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wowza. I have no idea on the fixes. You can probably touch up the paint on the hood or just get a aftermarket hood. I'm having a ton of issues with my car as well. I will not be owning this car out of the basic warranty. It is utter crap.
Old 10/15/14, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny becouse i traded a 2011 Honda civic Si in for my 2014 Mustang GT "i paid 28k otd" for the GT. The Civic was such a peice of crap it was awful! 6k miles on it and the tranny was grinding and poping out of gear, dont believe me google "third gear issue 8th gen civic Si" and you will see! **** thing wouldnt start some days and the paint was already fading. I had a Toyota solara v6 03 with 60k miles and the car would hesitate so bad when i gave it gas that it almost killed me!! My Mustang has been solid and reliable i spite of how bad i abuse it! My 2003 explorer has 130000k miles and still everything works and runs like new! Im constantly fighting off offers for it! I also have a 2010 Focus thats been bullet proof!! Im sorry to here that your having these issues, the trunk issue sounds like a bent trunk hood! Maybe sombody trying to stuff oversized lugage in the small trunk lol! But dont be so quick to judge an entire auto maker for a few lemons lol! Ford is consistently in the too spots in consumer reports reliability!
Old 10/15/14, 09:18 PM
GT Member

Astenax, you have just got your GT, like I said the car is a work horse, 28k after a trade in is not really a cheap car, but then again to you 28k maybe chump change for me it's a lot of money.

It's 2014 still, let's see what happens in 3 years, cuz I loved my car in 2011, I still love it, but am disappointed in the build quality. I should have gone with the 2 year old 5 series bimmer instead, at least the interior appointments are nicer. Anyway, I like my car.

Ford has an adhesion issue with the aluminum hoods, I took it to three reputable body shops in the area surprisingly I got the same input from all. My fix for sync will probably be pulling the battery cable out to reset electrical system and see what happens, if nothing I will probably throw in an aftermarket NAV unit, sync is ok not the best, my car is too loud for voice recognition.
Old 10/15/14, 09:46 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Trunk leak: If the sun is out I see light through the area where the gasket meets the trunk right where the curved portion over the tail light is. Got a $90 new gasket, no difference, waste of time, effort and $90.

Talk to a dealer? try adjusting your trunk? why would you spend money on the gasket? Its clearly not the gasket.

2. Weird Sound at speeds over 70 MPH : I get a weird sound at speeds of 70 and higher. Almost like a very big bee, its hard to describe but it is very noticeable.

Where is it coming from? Trans? motor? wheel?

3. Sync Stopped Working today: Sync is gone. Was working fine last night and today when my son was trying to access the USB by pressing the AUX button, sync does not even show up. It shows up for a second and then disappears.

Really? read a little and you will find how to reset sync...

4. Hood Paint is bubbling : Really? This is 2014, get with the program Ford, cheap thin paint and poor quality finish.

it might be 2014 but you do not own a 2014 so whats the point?
Old 10/16/14, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011BlackStang5.0
Astenax, you have just got your GT, like I said the car is a work horse, 28k after a trade in is not really a cheap car, but then again to you 28k maybe chump change for me it's a lot of money.

It's 2014 still, let's see what happens in 3 years, cuz I loved my car in 2011, I still love it, but am disappointed in the build quality. I should have gone with the 2 year old 5 series bimmer instead, at least the interior appointments are nicer. Anyway, I like my car.

Ford has an adhesion issue with the aluminum hoods, I took it to three reputable body shops in the area surprisingly I got the same input from all. My fix for sync will probably be pulling the battery cable out to reset electrical system and see what happens, if nothing I will probably throw in an aftermarket NAV unit, sync is ok not the best, my car is too loud for voice recognition.
Well i really dont drive mine that much, maybe 2 or 3k miles per year. Its more of a toy for me, a 3rd car anyway's. In 3 or 4 years she will probably see even less use as i plan on snatching up a last model year C7 by then. Anyway, i wish you luck and hope things go well for you!
Old 10/16/14, 08:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Here are some issues that I am having:

Hello 2011BlackStang5.0,

Have you addressed these with your dealer? Your service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 10/16/14, 03:01 PM
V6 Member

Hmm, a Mustang isn't even the same class of car as Toyotas and Hondas, but they too have their issues. It sounds like your issues are relatively minor and a 11' model with 63k is not necessarily a new car anymore.

My car is a 13' model purchased in 2012. I have around 8300 miles on it and it is not a daily driver. My rear end does have some whine (3.73 gears) but that's my only issue.
Old 10/17/14, 05:58 AM
GT Member

Update,

1. SYNC : Pulled the fuse and killed power to the SYNC unit, tried to bring up SYNC it did not work. The person who referred to reading a bit, your snarky remark is not really helpful. If you actually read, the issue was that SYNC did not come up at all, the screen said SYNC for a split second and then went to AM radio. If you actually read the SYNC reset instructions, you have to be in SYNC menu.

2. Weird sound: This is not a whine or any other mechanical noise, it's a wind noise, my bad for not explaining this properly. It's almost as if at higher speeds that air is making through a crevice, but it does not whistle it is more as if some thing small is flapping so fast that it becomes a low base noise. Anyway, I think their is a windshield issue.

3. Trunk leak, nothing was stuffed in it, I took it to dealership and they said bring it back for the water sealer guy, $100 for assessment and I don't remember the want $400 to $500 and this guy will go over and seal the car.

4. Paint, dealership says its out of warranty so I get it that's fine by me. I just did not expect paint to start bubbling.

Everyday car or not, I did not buy the car to park it and polish it, it is used to get around.

Someone compared this to a Civic, I can buy two for the price of one Mustang, not sure if that comparison is apples to apples.

I am surprised at some of the responses, they sound like you all work for Ford or just don't want to hear anything negative. So please read my post again, I love the car and the way it sounds, the way it looks and I can go on and on, I waited 14 years since my freshman year in college to afford a Mustang GT because now I can afford it. Just did not expect musty smell and noisy interiors (I like the good noise not the bad one I get)

If you have nothing helpful to add that's fine. I was just wondering if others had similar issues, but seems like your cars in perfect shape so thank you for the input.
Old 10/17/14, 06:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello 2011BlackStang5.0, Have you addressed these with your dealer? Your service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome. Deysha
Deysha,

Thank you for responding. I have addressed the water leak to my Ford Service Advisor, they have told me to bring the car back and they have a water proofing vendor who takes care of it and it's Monday through Friday by appointment only.

Paint, I did not ask because I just learned about the issue but I will follow up was not sure since it is out of the 36k warranty period.

SYNC : has resolved itself for the time being

Noise: did not address because it does not happen all the time. It only happens on windy days at a certain speed, next time I will record it.
Old 10/17/14, 06:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bubbasuwannee
Hmm, a Mustang isn't even the same class of car as Toyotas and Hondas, but they too have their issues. It sounds like your issues are relatively minor and a 11' model with 63k is not necessarily a new car anymore. My car is a 13' model purchased in 2012. I have around 8300 miles on it and it is not a daily driver. My rear end does have some whine (3.73 gears) but that's my only issue.

Bubba, the whine is to me is the good noise. I get it to and my son and I enjoy all the mechanical noises and the exhaust note the car makes. The engine noise the Mustang 5.0 makes is why I chose it over the Corvette and M3.
Old 10/17/14, 06:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If you have nothing helpful to add that's fine. I was just wondering if others had similar issues, but seems like your cars in perfect shape so thank you for the input.
To be fair, I don't recall you asking for any help. You just wanted to ***** and whine.

Why was nothing fixed while it was under warranty? Or did you buy it used?...If so, then these are the perks of used.

The trunk sounds like damage from the owner.

The mysterious noise could be almost anything, since you've done nothing to isolate the potential cause and you've provided no information regarding it.

Sync can be finicky. That's technology.

The hood paint...I'll give you that. It's been a problem for the last decade. You won't be able to fix it, and (even if you had a warranty) Ford isn't likely to fix it for you either. You'll need a new aftermarket hood, if you never want to worry about it again.

Pro-tip: If you want help, *ask* for it. And try not to sound like an *******...it makes people not want to help.
Old 10/17/14, 07:17 AM
GT Member

To be fair, I don't recall you asking for any help. You just wanted to ***** and whine. Why was nothing fixed while it was under warranty? Or did you buy it used?...If so, then these are the perks of used. The trunk sounds like damage from the owner. The mysterious noise could be almost anything, since you've done nothing to isolate the potential cause and you've provided no information regarding it. Sync can be finicky. That's technology. The hood paint...I'll give you that. It's been a problem for the last decade. You won't be able to fix it, and (even if you had a warranty) Ford isn't likely to fix it for you either. You'll need a new aftermarket hood, if you never want to worry about it again. Pro-tip: If you want help, *ask* for it. And try not to sound like an *******...it makes people not want to help.
Like I said read the post, any help or suggestions are welcome. I have Fords attention I will deal with them. So two out of four issue technology are not made up, the trunk was brought up with dealer, they don't have anyone on staff to take care of it. The hood is an issue, and you think it's OK ? Maybe you spend your time at the dealer more than drive the car.

The trunk I give it anything is possible, I was reading a post on hear from a person who bought a new car and had a dead animal in the dash and was charged money by the dealer. So anything is possible just because it is not you does not make it untrue. You did not have to respond to the post if you did not like it.

Have a good day!
Old 10/17/14, 07:29 AM
GT Member

. The hood paint...I'll give you that. It's been a problem for the last decade. You won't be able to fix it, and (even if you had a warranty) Ford isn't likely to fix it for you either. You'll need a new aftermarket hood, if you never want to worry about it again. Pro-tip: If you want help, *ask* for it. And try not to sound like an *******...it makes people not want to help.

Read what you wrote: It's an issue for 10 years and Ford isn't likely to help you, regardless of warranty or not! Haha, and you are ok saying that paying what you paid for the car.

A new aftermarket hood is over $500 to paint it install it etc the total is $1500. I paid about $36500 for my Mustang GT Premium and I have to buy new hood??? OK maybe I am whining but to me that is not acceptable.
Old 10/17/14, 10:30 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
he agreed with you on the hood and you are still crying...

maybe you bought to much car if you are unwilling to pay the cash to properly maintain it. FYI you paid $36k for a engine and trans.
Old 10/17/14, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
he agreed with you on the hood and you are still crying... maybe you bought to much car if you are unwilling to pay the cash to properly maintain it. FYI you paid $36k for a engine and trans.
More like just an engine and chassis. The German designed, Chinese built transmission isn't worth
Old 10/17/14, 04:37 PM
V6 Member

Bubba, the whine is to me is the good noise. I get it to and my son and I enjoy all the mechanical noises and the exhaust note the car makes. The engine noise the Mustang 5.0 makes is why I chose it over the Corvette and M3.
Yea, I'm not too concerned about the little bit of whine I get; it's only at higher speeds and when I get on it the exhaust drowns it out anyways. I hear ya though; these 5.0 engines sound beastly. I fell in love when I test drove a 2012 and ended up buying my 2013 about 10 months later.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT Issues, Dissappointing