Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rear Decklid Rubbing on Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/14, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Decklid Rubbing on Bumper

Name:  zj916wu.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  1,009.3 KB
Name:  84hFxPu.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  980.1 KB

Is this happening to anyone else? It looks like the decklid is rubbing up on the bumper. Not sure why it would be doing this.
Old 8/31/14, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine does it just a tad on the right side, not sure how it happens as i dont see it contacting the bumper
Old 9/1/14, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by puma1552
mine does it just a tad on the right side, not sure how it happens as i dont see it contacting the bumper
I'm not sure how it happens either. Does your car have a spoiler? I'm thinking the spoiler pushes the lid down at speed and causes it to rub.
Old 9/1/14, 11:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Make sure those little plastic pin "trunk bump stops" are still in your car. Can't post a pic on this app but the are half the size of a dime and are on both corners of the inside trunk lid, closest to the windshield. They look like a plastic retainer except smaller.

I took mine off because every time I closed the lid it chipped some paint off the contact area of the trunk lid.

Sadly, doing that made the deck lid panel edge rub the bumper going over bumps or long drives. I put them back in.

You may have faulty trunk lifters with that kinda damage tho.

It's a design flaw. IMO
Old 9/4/14, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Make sure those little plastic pin "trunk bump stops" are still in your car. Can't post a pic on this app but the are half the size of a dime and are on both corners of the inside trunk lid, closest to the windshield. They look like a plastic retainer except smaller.

I took mine off because every time I closed the lid it chipped some paint off the contact area of the trunk lid.

Sadly, doing that made the deck lid panel edge rub the bumper going over bumps or long drives. I put them back in.

You may have faulty trunk lifters with that kinda damage tho.

It's a design flaw. IMO
I haven't had a chance to look if the bump stops are the issue. However, it is at the dealer now and they sent pictures to Ford. Ford authorized to repaint the bumper. I don't think the dealer found out why the trunk would be doing this.
Old 9/8/14, 12:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Make sure those little plastic pin "trunk bump stops" are still in your car. Can't post a pic on this app but the are half the size of a dime and are on both corners of the inside trunk lid, closest to the windshield. They look like a plastic retainer except smaller. I took mine off because every time I closed the lid it chipped some paint off the contact area of the trunk lid. Sadly, doing that made the deck lid panel edge rub the bumper going over bumps or long drives. I put them back in. You may have faulty trunk lifters with that kinda damage tho. It's a design flaw. IMO
Patrick, as I posted in one of the other threads, download the "Internet Brands" app, and the Mustang Source is one of the forums as part of the app. You can post pics with it.
Old 9/27/14, 06:37 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
trunk lid rubs because of airflow... gently pull back on the bottom of your lower valence and watch the bumper rise up and rub the trunklid.

my wifes 07 v6 has it bad- rubbed all the way to the plastic, and my 06 gt has it pretty bad...still blue, but almost thru the basecoat.

keep it clean/waxed it minimizes the problem...a dusty bumper will rub thru a lot faster.

if you look at the silly bend over tabs that just barely support the bottom of the bumper cover, its amazing they dont flutter at highway speeds...

keep the lower trunk edge touched up to prevent corrosion... the bumper dont seem to mind, just kinda sucks to see when you pop the decklid
Old 9/29/14, 06:47 AM
GT Member

My new mustang has the exact chafing marks as the op's picture.
I do believe it is when the car is at highway speed that it makes contact. Sitting still there is clearance so it seems to be the only cause.

I have some automotive 3M clear body panel film in my garage and I cut a strip and placed on that area so at least the paint won't wear to primer and plastic.
Old 10/12/14, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Alright, the decklid is rubbing on the bumper again! This time its worse than before. Awesome!
Old 12/10/14, 04:09 PM

Dave,

Did you ever figure out a solution? I just noticed this on my 2012 black GT500, just on the right side. Maybe it's more noticeable on dark colors, based on what others have posted. I saw you had it fixed and it's doing it again. If it's a design flaw, I guess I should ignore it. But since Ford did fix it for you and you saw it happening again, I'm curious if Ford had anything to say or will be doing anything else.

Last edited by ///austinl; 12/10/14 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12/10/14, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ///austinl
Dave,

Did you ever figure out a solution? I just noticed this on my 2012 black GT500, just on the right side. Maybe it's more noticeable on dark colors, based on what others have posted. I saw you had it fixed and it's doing it again. If it's a design flaw, I guess I should ignore it. But since Ford did fix it for you and you saw it happening again, I'm curious if Ford had anything to say or will be doing anything else.
All they did before was repaint the bumper and adjust the little rubber things on the trunk. It came back worse than before. They don't seem to have a fix and the dealership is refusing to make an appointment with me.

Just take it in and see if they have a fix!

Last edited by dave07; 12/10/14 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12/17/14, 12:01 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ///austinl
Dave,

Let me know what the dealer says when you bring it back in, ///austinl.

Deysha