Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Really not liking 3rd gear engagement

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/13, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really not liking 3rd gear engagement

So as some of you have read I bought a 2013 GT/CS, well this time around I bought a manual versus the automatic. I havent driven manuals in a very long time so I am getting used to it all over again. No biggy
Anyways I have a problem with gear mesh or engagement when going into 3rd every time I shift. I mean it almost feels like it is hitting the gear teeth (if thats what it is) everytime I shift to 3rd. I dont have any problems with any other gear other than the a notchy feeling but I am gettiig used to that.
So, is anyone else experiencing this or do I need to take the car in?
Also will changing the shifter help with the notchy feeling when shifting? If so what brand do you recommend.
Ive heard Hurst makes a good one along with Barton and MGW.
Old 1/18/13, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have that tranny looked at first. The only time I have had a problem with 3rd is at redline, and it was like it wasn't there until the rpm's dropped. I had an issue with second and that notchy feeling and changing to Redline MTL helped a bunch. The other big bang for my buck was installing a urethane bushing in the shifter from Energy Suspension, it replaces the stock rear very soft and rubbery bushing and made a huge difference for less than $20. I have driven a 5.0 with the MGW and it is a good solid shifter, and I will get one when I can afford it, but what I have works well for now.
Old 1/18/13, 01:31 PM
GT Member

Basically the stock shifter can be a tempermental POS. I've read (and experienced) that most of the problems occur under higher RPMs (worse closer to redline) and when the driver grabs the handle and tries to put it into 3rd aggressively. Many people on here have recommended more of an open hand push of the handle from 2-3. The stock shifter is actually ok at finding its own way into 3rd most of the time.

In addition to these technique changes, I went with the Steeda bracket (any aftermarket bracket has got to be better than the stock piece) and that helped a lot just keeping the shifter better aligned with the transmission under hard throttle.

With both combined, I can chirp 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 without any problem (except the speed at the 3-4 shift is not really recommended for surface streets).
Old 1/18/13, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
8k miles on my 2013 and not a single issue so far. Many shifts at redline in all gears and she's never hiccuped once. Sorry to hear you are having issues with yours. How many miles do you have?
Old 1/18/13, 05:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the same issues in the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift. Almost non-existent in the summer, but before putting it away for the winter and driving in some cold (20º-30º) weather it could be pretty bad for the first 15-20 minutes of driving. There were times when going from 1 to 2 it was like not using the clutch at all, or I missed it totally. Double clutching sometimes helped too.
Old 1/18/13, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm going to upgrade the bushing/shifter when my 14 arrives, but...

In thinking about the problem of torque deflection causing trouble while shifting - isn't that point entirely moot seeing as how the engine and tranny are no longer connected while the clutch pedal is depressed? Wouldn't that then place the burden of blame on the synchros?
Old 1/18/13, 05:27 PM

have the same issue too. sometimes when i change from 1st-2nd it goes straight to 4th. I gotten use too though.
Old 1/18/13, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by logan_franchise
have the same issue too. sometimes when i change from 1st-2nd it goes straight to 4th. I gotten use too though.
That would be the skip-shift mechanism, not the car malfunctioning.
Old 1/18/13, 06:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ive had that happen a couple times. Only if I lift at high RPM's while trying for third. Power shifting, have never had a problem. Does it do it every time when shifting into 3rd?
Old 1/18/13, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

It's probably skip shift. Do you see a message in the gauge cluster happen at the same time saying shifting from 1 to 4? Sometimes the message appears without the lock; just like there are times the lock happens w/o a message. Does it happen @ WOT?

420 HP / ~3700 lbs without a gas guzzler tax? You can thank skip-shift.
Old 1/18/13, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
Ive had that happen a couple times. Only if I lift at high RPM's while trying for third. Power shifting, have never had a problem. Does it do it every time when shifting into 3rd?
No it does it when I'm driving leasurly around town, you know slowly taking off from lights or stop signs
Old 1/18/13, 10:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
8k miles on my 2013 and not a single issue so far. Many shifts at redline in all gears and she's never hiccuped once. Sorry to hear you are having issues with yours. How many miles do you have?

365 give or take a few miles
Old 1/19/13, 04:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I would give it a few more miles. Just don't force it into gear. Might just be from not being used to driving a manual again. The gears are notchy and closely spaced. Takes a little to get used too
Old 1/19/13, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to the dealer
Old 1/19/13, 11:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
No it does it when I'm driving leasurly around town, you know slowly taking off from lights or stop signs
Well it can't be the skip-shift, 2013s don't have that. I've never had the problem while taking it easy in the 8600 miles I've put on mine. It's either just a matter of you still getting used to driving a manual again or possibly a problem. I'd take it to the dealer just to make sure.
Old 1/19/13, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by JMac

Well it can't be the skip-shift, 2013s don't have that. I've never had the problem while taking it easy in the 8600 miles I've put on mine. It's either just a matter of you still getting used to driving a manual again or possibly a problem. I'd take it to the dealer just to make sure.
Since when do 2013's not have skip-shift?
Old 1/19/13, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Pretty sure they do, I thought it was the 2013 Bosses that don't have it.
Old 1/19/13, 12:25 PM

Cold Weather Shifts

Originally Posted by denlem
I have the same issues in the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift. Almost non-existent in the summer, but before putting it away for the winter and driving in some cold (20º-30º) weather it could be pretty bad for the first 15-20 minutes of driving. There were times when going from 1 to 2 it was like not using the clutch at all, or I missed it totally. Double clutching sometimes helped too.
Had same problem, Told Dealer to drain then fill with AmsOil ATF.
Dealer advised against it but after swap, no problems shifting in cold weather!
Old 1/19/13, 02:11 PM
GT Member

No skip-shift on '13s, it's been mentioned many times here and verified by Ford reps too (for those who think we with '13s wouldn't notice the diff between 2 and 4 or whatever it does).
Old 1/19/13, 02:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cfraser
No skip-shift on '13s, it's been mentioned many times here and verified by Ford reps too (for those who think we with '13s wouldn't notice the diff between 2 and 4 or whatever it does).
Nice. Hadn't seen that. Mine rarely comes on anyway.

Quick Reply: Really not liking 3rd gear engagement