Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Possible hood repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/15, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible hood repaint?

I just now noticed that along the edge of my hood and the adjacent location on the fender that my paint is stripped. I'm not sure how this happened, but I'm curious if this is one of the notorious paint issues.

Old 2/25/15, 01:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
One of the sad things Ford has had problems getting right. The 05's had paint chipping issues. I'm sure someone will chime in suggesting you take it to your local dealership for a fix.
Old 2/25/15, 02:59 PM

sadly that's what I am kinda hoping for.
Old 2/25/15, 07:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
thats not from contamination, but from rubbing... if the cars been bent they wont cover it, but otherwise, I'd bet the rubbers arent adjusted correctly and hood shake at speed was causing contact.

with hood shut, hows the gap to fender from driver to passenger side? guessing its tight on drivers side- else hood shake would have to be pretty violent...
Old 2/25/15, 08:01 PM
legacy Tms Member

re looking at pics- yout strut tower brace looks a mile high- been hit on the left front, or maybe a massive chuckhole hit? in pics it sure looks to me like the drivers strut was stoved inward somehow
Old 2/25/15, 08:05 PM
V6 Member

I just had my car in for the paint contamination or bubbling on the front hood, they paid for everything rental car included as well. To be honest I am not sure what they will say about that, the guy that took care of my claim said Ford can be very tough on their warranty claims. But it doesn't hurt to try, best of luck!
Old 2/25/15, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pics, but are you sure it's not just dried wax?
Old 2/26/15, 07:42 AM

It isn't dried wax sadly, however, upon inspection in the daylight I can see a slightly bigger gap on the passenger side leaving the driver side slightly tighter, which, I guess lead to rubbing leading to this. The question now is, can I put this on ford? I've literally never messed with anything hood related on my car, or even anything under the hood. Literally it is how it is from the factory.
Old 2/26/15, 09:32 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cise
I just now noticed that along the edge of my hood and the adjacent location on the fender that my paint is stripped. I'm not sure how this happened, but I'm curious if this is one of the notorious paint issues.
Hello and welcome to the forum, Cise! Have you addressed this with your Ford Dealer yet? Be sure to speak with your service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know what they say.

Deysha
Old 2/26/15, 10:07 AM

I will be soon. I'm about due for an oil change so I was gonna do everything in one go for convenience.
Old 2/27/15, 05:39 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Cise
It isn't dried wax sadly, however, upon inspection in the daylight I can see a slightly bigger gap on the passenger side leaving the driver side slightly tighter, which, I guess lead to rubbing leading to this. The question now is, can I put this on ford? I've literally never messed with anything hood related on my car, or even anything under the hood. Literally it is how it is from the factory.
unless the hood wasnt lined up correctly, this shouldnt be possible...I had the fenders off mine brand new to do some undercoating with bedliner before driving, was impressed to see the fenders use no shims and bolt hole clearance is tight- no adjustments needed... the hood can be adjusted, but would hit at a corner first- not the middle- still looks to me like the shock tower got bumped inward from a severe suspension bottoming or similar...

perhaps shipper bound the car down improperly during delivery? Might be a sound issue to pursue- saw they were busting control arms on f150s a few years ago... not all the guys tying these things down are careful. was that tower brace factory- and has it rubbed the hood insulation in the center? sure looks bowed upwards... good luck