Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Paint bubbling.

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/15, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some of the issues people run into is the dealer not wanting to deal with the issue. My dealer is a volume dealer and it took an hour to get the approval for the new hood. This dealer has their own body shop and you can not tell that there was ever anything wrong with the car. And how long has Ford had this problem? My 1997 Mark VIII which was the first year of that car with the aluminum hood has severe aluminum corrosion on the underside.
Old 10/18/15, 09:50 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by scott9050
I think some of the issues people run into is the dealer not wanting to deal with the issue. My dealer is a volume dealer and it took an hour to get the approval for the new hood. This dealer has their own body shop and you can not tell that there was ever anything wrong with the car. And how long has Ford had this problem? My 1997 Mark VIII which was the first year of that car with the aluminum hood has severe aluminum corrosion on the underside.
yes, some dealers try to keep customers happy- but again, it was not in any way the dealers fault- Ford knows they have ignored a known process issue forever and expect the buyers(or a few friendly dealers) to just accept it or fix Fords shoddy work on their own... says a bit about Fords commitment to quality. why spend the extra buck a car if the warranty can be weaseled out of(corrosion hidden underneath hood always starts long before it 'shows' up top- by then too late, ford gets to keep their buck, but you-or your dealer- are out 500-2500 for a hood.)
Old 10/22/15, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deysha got me escalated back to the Pittsburgh area customer service representative that I was talking to before! Thanks Deysha!

Anywho, they told me to call the dealership to get an appointment. The dealership is still saying the part is on back order. Apparently they contacted Ford to see what was going on. Ford said the hood was on national back order because the last hood batch failed quality control! So there you have it!
Old 10/23/15, 06:45 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dave07
Deysha got me escalated back to the Pittsburgh area customer service representative that I was talking to before! Thanks Deysha!

Anywho, they told me to call the dealership to get an appointment. The dealership is still saying the part is on back order. Apparently they contacted Ford to see what was going on. Ford said the hood was on national back order because the last hood batch failed quality control! So there you have it!
You're very welcome, dave07!!

Deysha
Old 10/23/15, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
yes, some dealers try to keep customers happy- but again, it was not in any way the dealers fault- Ford knows they have ignored a known process issue forever and expect the buyers(or a few friendly dealers) to just accept it or fix Fords shoddy work on their own... says a bit about Fords commitment to quality. why spend the extra buck a car if the warranty can be weaseled out of(corrosion hidden underneath hood always starts long before it 'shows' up top- by then too late, ford gets to keep their buck, but you-or your dealer- are out 500-2500 for a hood.)
I am basing that on what my dealer told me, that the only way to handle the problem is to replace the hood, versus the explanations and runaround others are getting. My dealer says that Ford has approved every under warranty hood replacement they have submitted, it is the only way they do it. But I agree that Ford should have found a way after nearly 20 years to fix the problem.
Old 11/4/15, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Add another 2013 car to the list

I've got one spot on the leading edge of the hood over the headlight, and a bunch of spots on the underside. Dealer is trying to deny it, saying I'm past the B2B warranty (I'm at 39,5xx).

I'm going to argue:
-I bought the Premium level Extended Service Plan (good to 5yr/60k)
-The car has a 5yr corrosion warranty
-It's bad business to pull the 'legal' card and leave your customer high and dry. It's obviously a manufacturing defect. A 3yr old car should not be suffering paint failure.
Old 11/4/15, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133

I've got one spot on the leading edge of the hood over the headlight, and a bunch of spots on the underside. Dealer is trying to deny it, saying I'm past the B2B warranty (I'm at 39,5xx).

I'm going to argue:
-It's bad business to pull the 'legal' card and leave your customer high and dry. It's obviously a manufacturing defect. A 3yr old car should not be suffering paint failure.
Good luck.
Fords stance on several issues including this one has shown they don't give a crap about what is good or bad buisness. This will likely be my last new from Ford because of it.
Old 11/4/15, 09:35 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
When the paint bubbles on my 2013 GT500 it will be my last Ford.

Like 9 model years they've been dealing with this and can't even begin to prevent this. Ridiculous.
Old 11/5/15, 07:18 AM

I'm going to argue:
Good Luck mfc133, you will need it. Many owners (like me) denied within the 3yr B2B warranty.

Get Deysha (Ford Service) involved as soon as you can.
Old 11/5/15, 09:54 AM

I'm going to argue:
Have you been able to address this with your dealer, mfc133?

Originally Posted by luap1376
Good Luck mfc133, you will need it. Many owners (like me) denied within the 3yr B2B warranty.

Get Deysha (Ford Service) involved as soon as you can.
Thank you for the mention, luap1376!

Deysha
Old 11/9/15, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Have you been able to address this with your dealer, mfc133?

Deysha
Hi Deysha,

The dealer said they took pictures of the issue and sent them to Ford, but has been unresponsive since. Could you escalate this for me?

Thanks
Old 11/9/15, 09:09 AM

Hi Deysha,

The dealer said they took pictures of the issue and sent them to Ford, but has been unresponsive since. Could you escalate this for me?

Thanks
I'll look into this for you, mfc133. I'll get back to your PM as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 11/9/15, 10:04 AM

I am having the same issue on the hood of a 2014 V6. It is a Ford Certified Pre-Owned vehicle and there is one bubble on top of the hood and bubbles on the inside edge (left and right sides).

I have not contacted a dealer yet.

Last edited by Coyote&Voodoo; 11/9/15 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Image
Old 1/2/16, 01:33 PM

i have a bubble on the edge of my hood. mine is a 14 black GT with less than 18,000 miles. i am going to the dealership Tuesday. More than likely i will not get any help from them because i did not buy the car from them. they had attitude when i took it in for a bad battery. i asked them to check the passenger side puddle light because it is distorted when it shines on the ground. needless to say they didnt.

I hope everyone gets their hood fixed, but with the hoods being on back order this might be tough.

Last edited by DAJOKER07; 1/2/16 at 06:09 PM.
Old 1/6/16, 12:56 PM

Posted on the longer thread in the 05-09 forum since I saw others who had done the same, but figured I should post here to...

Found bubbles on the leading edge of the hood on my 2012 V6. Didn't notice them when I detailed and waxed last spring, but I honestly could have missed them because of the angle.

I called my dealer about the issue today and they won't even look at the car. It has ~22k mi on it, but it's been more then 3 years since purchase. PremiumCare Warranty I purchased with it "doesn't cover paint". They referred me to their body shop (a 3rd party) and gave me the number.

It looks like only these two spots on the passenger side right now. Pretty lame if you ask me. Trying to figure out my options now...

This isn't a great picture of it, I'll get a better one later:

Old 1/27/16, 11:54 AM

Question Hood Paint Bubbling in front

I have 2012 GT Kona Blue with paint bubbling on front edge of hood. Took to local dealer's body shop. They looked at it and said Ford won't cover it under thier warranty(43K) then explained it is from aluminum oxodation but not covered under powertrain or corrosion. I am no engineer but this is the first car I have owned that has paint bubbling up with under 100K and there is clearly a problem on this hood from factory. I am looking for some common sense here as Ford has always been good with thier warranty in the past. Please help Deysha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1/30/16, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishnchipcc
I have 2012 GT Kona Blue with paint bubbling on front edge of hood. Took to local dealer's body shop. They looked at it and said Ford won't cover it under thier warranty(43K) then explained it is from aluminum oxodation but not covered under powertrain or corrosion. I am no engineer but this is the first car I have owned that has paint bubbling up with under 100K and there is clearly a problem on this hood from factory. I am looking for some common sense here as Ford has always been good with their warranty in the past. Please help Deysha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't get any satisfaction from Ford. They just wash their hands of the problem. Deysha is going to tell you some robotic answer like - you should contact your dealer as they are in the best position to help you with this. And you aready did, so you know where that is going to go. Someday, years from now, the class action suits will be settled and they will offer us a pennies on the dollar settlement for the money we had to lay out for repairing this. I had mine repaired under warranty. It came back in a different spot. My warranty was up. I took it to my body shop. They repaired the corrosion again. I looked recently, and what do you know, it is back in a different spot. I think ultimately, I am going to bite the bullet and pick up a fiberglass Cervinis hood. Ford hoods are junk. They were made improperly and I believe they are all susceptible to the same issue. - at least for the S197. I haven't heard the problem rearing its ugly head on the new generation Stangs.
Old 2/17/16, 05:46 PM

Add me to the list. 2014 GT Premium. Multiple spots along the leading edge of the hood around the headlights. TWO year old car, ~40k miles. Deysha can you check your IMs please.
Old 2/19/16, 06:03 AM

Well i wish you luck, it has been almost 30 days & no response.
Old 4/12/19, 08:26 AM

Bubbling Issue

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello BaerwaldeStang,

I agree with houtex. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area and help get this resolved.

Deysha
Deysha,
Are you still working these issues for Mustangs with Bubbling paint?

Quick Reply: Paint bubbling.