Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Paint bubbling.

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/12, 01:36 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
I would have thought that would be covered under the paint warranty. Isn't it 5 yr/50,000 miles....or something like that.
Yeah I thought the corrosion warranty was longer than the bumper to bumper. My warranty stuff is in the glove box under cover in storage still so I can't verify.
Old 6/12/12, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah I thought the corrosion warranty was longer than the bumper to bumper. My warranty stuff is in the glove box under cover in storage still so I can't verify.
On the 2007's they have a 5yr/60,000 corrosion warranty but my dealer told me today that Ford does not consider the bubbling to be "corrosion" .. only if a hole is corroded into the body would it fall under this warranty.. Even though it is a very common issue now.
Old 8/9/12, 10:26 PM

Paint bubbling Mustang 2010

I too have noticed that the paint is bubbling and coming away on the rights hand side of the hood. I was going to by an 06 but I knew they had this issue so instead I spent more money to get a 2010 thinking that Ford had solved this issue. Seems not. I always wanted to buy a mustang, and now I have one, I feel dissapointed and let down. All I here on these forums is that Ford don't want to know about the problem. I guess I should sell and get a Camaro instead. I'm really disappointed about a few aspects of the build quality. I just Think of sucks that loyal consumers get **** on like this
Old 8/9/12, 10:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Mills
I too have noticed that the paint is bubbling and coming away on the rights hand side of the hood. I was going to by an 06 but I knew they had this issue so instead I spent more money to get a 2010 thinking that Ford had solved this issue. Seems not. I always wanted to buy a mustang, and now I have one, I feel dissapointed and let down. All I here on these forums is that Ford don't want to know about the problem. I guess I should sell and get a Camaro instead. I'm really disappointed about a few aspects of the build quality. I just Think of sucks that loyal consumers get **** on like this
*hear
Old 8/10/12, 05:47 AM
GT Member

The wifes 05 did the same thing. We just took probably a $1000 hit selling it because of the bubbling. I can't believe in all the years this has been happening and Ford continuing to screw customers trying to get it fixed that nobody has organized a class action lawsuit. Any attorneys in the forum? I'd be happy to throw my name in the class.
Old 8/12/12, 02:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2006 had the bubbling paint on the hood issue, got it repainted and it bubbled again a year later.
Old 8/13/12, 12:48 PM

I have the same issue with my 2011, but Ford has agree to repaint the hood.
Old 8/13/12, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Clarification:

Bubbling is NOT corrosion. It is paint separation from the panel. Corrosion is rust, and aluminum doesn't rust like steel, hence it's only covered under the standard warranty. You will likely never see an aluminum hood corrode through, it'd take forever, and that is because the aluminum oxide that forms on the outside will just simply prevent further corrosion... i.e., it's 'self healing/self sealing'.

Unless actively persued to corrode through, that hood will likely outlast us all.
Old 8/27/12, 02:15 PM

so I have a 2011 Mustang. I noticed a few months ago the bubbling on my hood. I took it to my local ford dealer and they told me it had to break thru the paint before they would do anything. so about 2-3 weeks ago, it broke thru. I took it to them, and they flatly denied the claim. saying the corrosion would have to go thru the metal for the warranty. The car is out of standard warranty (it was when I bought it).
I got a complete run around from the service dept there. they first told me they sent it to their body shop to be evaluated. then they said they sent it to ford. who denied it. yet when I contact ford and their body shop, both say the service dept never got in touch with them. I am attempting to to contact other ford dealers, but it's an aggravating process.
Any ideas on what I can say or how I can phrase things. I really don't want to have to buy a new hood.
Attached Thumbnails Paint bubbling.-hood-corrosion.jpg  
Old 8/27/12, 03:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
2011 Mustangs are covered for bad paint, with the B2B warranty. As long as it's bad paint, of course. The bubbling is going to be covered for that, period, and asking a *service advisor* about paint is... well, not recommended. Go to a FORD body shop/collision center, and have them work out the details.

I would find it... odd... that you'd need to buy a hood. Get the current hood repainted, sure, but.. not a whole hood.

That being said, the picture is not exactly helpful, I'm sorry to say, in that this looks like it is paint that was peeled back by some trauma, not a bubble. Perhaps a few other pics from farther and closer would help in determination.

To be honest, I can't even tell that's a *hood*, much less where it is on the thing that paint delamination is.

But if it's bad paint lifting... they should cover it. Go somewhere else if that one won't, and contact Deysha, who makes it around these parts.
Old 8/27/12, 09:48 PM

ya. the problem is that when I first took it in, I was told (by the Ford Service manager) that it had to break the paint before they would have the shop look at it. so since it broke the paint, the paint is coming off. I've already complained to ford about the run around I got at that dealer and am currently shopping for a new dealer.
ya. the pic was just a quick phone shot to show the damage.
Old 8/28/12, 06:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BaerwaldeStang
so I have a 2011 Mustang. I noticed a few months ago the bubbling on my hood. I took it to my local ford dealer and they told me it had to break thru the paint before they would do anything. so about 2-3 weeks ago, it broke thru. I took it to them, and they flatly denied the claim. saying the corrosion would have to go thru the metal for the warranty. The car is out of standard warranty (it was when I bought it).
I got a complete run around from the service dept there. they first told me they sent it to their body shop to be evaluated. then they said they sent it to ford. who denied it. yet when I contact ford and their body shop, both say the service dept never got in touch with them. I am attempting to to contact other ford dealers, but it's an aggravating process.
Any ideas on what I can say or how I can phrase things. I really don't want to have to buy a new hood.
Originally Posted by houtex
2011 Mustangs are covered for bad paint, with the B2B warranty. As long as it's bad paint, of course. The bubbling is going to be covered for that, period, and asking a *service advisor* about paint is... well, not recommended. Go to a FORD body shop/collision center, and have them work out the details.
contact Deysha, who makes it around these parts.
Hello BaerwaldeStang,

I agree with houtex. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area and help get this resolved.

Deysha
Old 8/28/12, 07:27 AM

Deysha, PM sent
Old 8/29/12, 06:56 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BaerwaldeStang
Deysha, PM sent
Thanks. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 9/6/12, 12:55 PM

Just spoke Dennis from Ford. wasted an hour for him to explain in various ways how this isnt covered by ford at all.
Old 9/6/12, 01:50 PM

if you take your car to ford and they deny it, make sure they do not mark the damage as "environmental", apparently once that is done there is nothing Ford will do. I find this odd, given that the dealer saw the damage before and after it went thru the paint.
Deysha, the gentleman you had call tried to tell me the warranty is non-transferable. but when pushed, he couldn't produce that in writing
Old 9/11/12, 09:43 AM

Wow... Disappointed to find this happening to our Mustang too, we just got it at Christmas.... Got two spots on the hood within a 3 week period. I'm worried that if I get it fixed in 3 weeks another will show up...
Old 9/11/12, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
Clarification:

Bubbling is NOT corrosion. It is paint separation from the panel. Corrosion is rust, and aluminum doesn't rust like steel, hence it's only covered under the standard warranty. You will likely never see an aluminum hood corrode through, it'd take forever, and that is because the aluminum oxide that forms on the outside will just simply prevent further corrosion... i.e., it's 'self healing/self sealing'.

Unless actively persued to corrode through, that hood will likely outlast us all.
You fail to take into consideration that the metal the hood is made out of is an aluminum clad aluminum alloy, not pure aluminum. The hood will corrode if the alloy is exposed to the elements. The aluminum needs to be specially treated to insure proper paint adhesion. If the aluminum is not properly prepared, the paint will peel.
Old 9/11/12, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy49
You fail to take into consideration that the metal the hood is made out of is an aluminum clad aluminum alloy, not pure aluminum. The hood will corrode if the alloy is exposed to the elements. The aluminum needs to be specially treated to insure proper paint adhesion. If the aluminum is not properly prepared, the paint will peel.
So... If the hood started bubble paint, it wasn't properly prepared, which means this likely is just the beginning of the problem for the hood. Easiest fix would be a new hood that hopefully was properly prepared.... I don't see a body shop sanding the paint off the whole hood. Or would they?
Old 9/11/12, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the body shop sands through the aluminum clad coating you would make the core material vulnerable to corrosion. It would be better to chemically strip the hood, liquid paint stripper, or soda blast it. Then use an alodine solution on the bare aluminum and then prime with a suitable water based epoxy primer.
Make sure the body shop you use is experienced with the prep and paint requirements for aluminum.

Quick Reply: Paint bubbling.