Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Odd bearing wear issue along with some rear brake oddities:

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/13, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Odd bearing wear issue along with some rear brake oddities:

I've got a couple oddities with my last brake change and fun outing.

The car has a bit of a roar which sounds like a bearing. I can hear the rear diff whine with the seats down (which I've always heard on this car), but this new noise doesn't sound like its pinion or drive-shaft-related, more so an outer axle bearing. I've had the passenger side replaced due to a faulty seal, but I believe its driver side. Yesterday I had the car in the air and in third gear/operating, I couldn't hear anything. Yet when driving on the ground, it definitely has a roar. I've spun the front wheels, but not really hearing much there. Sound is speed dependent, not load or RPM.

I should take it to the dealer, but considering my standing 1:3 success record for powertrain warranty coverage, I may be looking into this one on my own. Anyone have thoughts?

The second oddity is in the rear brake pads. The sets I removed both had canted wear patterns, withe both inboard pads having thir lower leading edges almost worn to the backing plates (less than 1mm). The opposite side of the pad had 4mm. I re-greased and moved the caliper pins, but they showed no signs of bind, and everything else checked out ok. Anyone have thoughts on how/why that could happen?

Pics coming shortly.
Old 3/6/13, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

At this time its at the dealer and so far they are proceeding under powertrain warranty for the repair.
Old 3/7/13, 05:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
replacing the seals and axle Bearings?
Old 3/7/13, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

From what it sounds like, that is the case. Additionally applying the turkeybaster vent TSB. Hopefully they aren't messing with the pinion bearing, as I'd hate to have any additional ring/pinion noise, mine's loud as it is.
Old 3/9/13, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im curious if you saw this on your rear brakes ...
When I had my rear calipers out to paint them I noticed that on both sides of the car, one of the two pins that allows the caliper to float was super sloppy. It looks as if the hole that the pins goes into had been machined oversize.
Now I wouldn't think this would cause any binding but your story just made me think of this.
The front calipers were fine, this was just on the rears, both of them