Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

How many miles on OEM 18" Pirelli Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/13, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How many miles on OEM 18" Pirelli Tires?

Just curious what kinda mileage folks are seeing on these stock tires? I am at about 32000 miles and am at 3/32 and 4/32 tread depth on the tires. I have rotated them regulary, not an agressive driver and have never done burnouts.
Trying to see if thats the norm with these tires as I look for replacements... Thanks for your input
Old 3/7/13, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by carfreak666
Just curious what kinda mileage folks are seeing on these stock tires? I am at about 32000 miles and am at 3/32 and 4/32 tread depth on the tires. I have rotated them regulary, not an agressive driver and have never done burnouts.
Trying to see if thats the norm with these tires as I look for replacements... Thanks for your input
Assuming you're talking about the All-Season P Zeros...with 32K, you've done well. The guy who had my car first didn't rotate them, I don't think, so they were done by 24K. I've got about 17K on my second set and they are probably going to last until at least 30 I'd say. I rotate them every 5K.
Old 3/7/13, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Assuming you're talking about the All-Season P Zeros...with 32K, you've done well. The guy who had my car first didn't rotate them, I don't think, so they were done by 24K. I've got about 17K on my second set and they are probably going to last until at least 30 I'd say. I rotate them every 5K.
Oh ok thanks for the info... and yes I have the all season's
Old 3/9/13, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OEM tires are a slightly softer compound then the same aftermarket tire. I would lean towards a higher quality tire for a replacement. Nitro ha s a new one called Motivo that is a great all season tire that should last 60k with the type of driving that you described. My stockers lasted all of. 37 miles before I replaced them with Nittos.
Old 3/10/13, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

32k miles isn't bad at all for a Mustang. Can you get more, sure, but you have to been keenly aware of all the subjective items that affect a tires overall life.

Some variables are:
- speeds driven
- road surface
- temperatures (road/air/tire)
- tire pressure
- weight of the vehicle
- alignment accuracy and type
- percentage of city or highway driving
- driving style (very subjective)

As to driving style, just because you aren't laying rubber, doesn't mean you are not causing increased tire wear. When you brake hard, change speeds rapidly, perform spirited/fast lane changes, accelerate quickly, you will cause accelerated tire wear.
Old 3/10/13, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

i replaced the oem tires on my '11 5.0 at 15,500 miles. i thought the pirelli's were pretty good. I went with 255/45/18 bridgestone potenza 970's.
wow, 32000, i have never come close to that on original tires!
Old 3/10/13, 07:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I am at 15000 and change and will probably change tires in the fall. Oddly, only the rears are showing any real wear. It's like someone has been stupid with the accelerator and turned tires into smoke.
Old 3/11/13, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11GTStang50
The OEM tires are a slightly softer compound then the same aftermarket tire. I would lean towards a higher quality tire for a replacement. Nitro ha s a new one called Motivo that is a great all season tire that should last 60k with the type of driving that you described. My stockers lasted all of. 37 miles before I replaced them with Nittos.
Aaah that makes sense.. I was wondering why most tires I looked at for replacements were offering 50-60k tread life and the reason for this thread... Thanks

Originally Posted by tstrick9
i replaced the oem tires on my '11 5.0 at 15,500 miles. i thought the pirelli's were pretty good. I went with 255/45/18 bridgestone potenza 970's.
wow, 32000, i have never come close to that on original tires!
Performance wise OEMs are pretty good, I just have an issue with the amoount of road noise

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I am at 15000 and change and will probably change tires in the fall. Oddly, only the rears are showing any real wear. It's like someone has been stupid with the accelerator and turned tires into smoke.
Ha Ha
Old 3/11/13, 06:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
32k miles isn't bad at all for a Mustang. Can you get more, sure, but you have to been keenly aware of all the subjective items that affect a tires overall life.

Some variables are:
- speeds driven
- road surface
- temperatures (road/air/tire)
- tire pressure
- weight of the vehicle
- alignment accuracy and type
- percentage of city or highway driving
- driving style (very subjective)

As to driving style, just because you aren't laying rubber, doesn't mean you are not causing increased tire wear. When you brake hard, change speeds rapidly, perform spirited/fast lane changes, accelerate quickly, you will cause accelerated tire wear.
Very True...Everything that I have control over, I baby this lil v6... Most of those miles were in MI (Got to be the worst roads in the country) so that may have played a role. But seems like I got good life out of them.... Back to Shopping