Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Noise in the rear end

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/16, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Glad to learn you guys are working with your dealers. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
is there a tsb for this condition? it is well documented.
the links from BMR are too small for the swaybar on the 2012 GT coupe = 24MM
Energy Suspension 4.5195R Rear Sway Bar Bushings
Old 2/14/16, 09:57 PM

Rear end rattle on 2012 V-6

Originally Posted by MLM
The noise is only when the vehicle is cold and generally when shifting gears (no load on the driveshaft). After a few hundred yards of driving the noise goes away, which is making it hard to diagnose. The colder it is, the louder the noise and the longer it lasts. I still have not had a chance to take it back to the dealer.
New member here, just picked up a 2012 V-6 convertible with manual transmission, 21K miles in great condition. Found this thread by searching for "rear end rattle." My car makes rattling noises (intermittent knocks, not a steady whine) in the rear end, also only when cold (we're having some very cold weather in Maryland.) I thought it might be differential, but after reading this thread it sounds like what everyone here is talking about.

Why does this noise go away after the car warms up? Mine takes about 15 minutes to quiet down. I'll take it to my local dealer for confirmation. If this is on my nickel, then I'll probably spring for the BMR end links rather than original.

Thanks.
Old 2/18/16, 02:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Guy, I found the noise in mine was depending on the outside temp. The warmer the weather the less noise it would make. My dealer replaced the entire sway bar assembly last year, and it's been quiet since then. They said the bushings were the culprit. Good luck.
Old 2/18/16, 05:20 PM

Jim, thanks. I'm pretty sure this is the issue I'm facing. Getting confirmation from local mechanics is difficult, since the condition is most pronounced for the first 10 minutes or so on cold mornings. The parts are not that expensive, so I'm going forward based on the similarity of my experience with that of others here.

I just ordered the end links from BMR. The mechanic I selected to install the links asked me to check if BMR also sold the end bushings for the sway bar; he said that if the links needed replacing, then the bushings likely also needed replacing. BMR doesn't advertise on the web site that the end bushings are available, so I called them up. Their phone people are very helpful and pleasant to speak with. They said they could indeed sell me a set of end bushings. So I got both the links and the bushings.

Just a FYI for others that may find this thread via search.
Old 2/19/16, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by guyr
Jim, thanks. I'm pretty sure this is the issue I'm facing. Getting confirmation from local mechanics is difficult, since the condition is most pronounced for the first 10 minutes or so on cold mornings. The parts are not that expensive, so I'm going forward based on the similarity of my experience with that of others here.

I just ordered the end links from BMR. The mechanic I selected to install the links asked me to check if BMR also sold the end bushings for the sway bar; he said that if the links needed replacing, then the bushings likely also needed replacing. BMR doesn't advertise on the web site that the end bushings are available, so I called them up. Their phone people are very helpful and pleasant to speak with. They said they could indeed sell me a set of end bushings. So I got both the links and the bushings.

Just a FYI for others that may find this thread via search.
Don't blame you, while you have the sway bar off it's a good idea to replace everything. Like my dear old Daddy used to say, "It only cost a little more to go first class."
Old 2/19/16, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have y'all checked the exhaust pipes for clearance? They expand and contract with temperature changes, and might be interfering with some body or suspension part until they change shape after heating.

I don't get a very good idea of what motion conditions the noises occur. Is it associated with going over bumps in the road, or turning, or just sitting still? If replacing all the links seems to cure it, it could be due to improper torquing of the body-end through bolts, which I believe are supposed to clamp a metal bushing inside the body end of the links. If they don't properly clamp the bushing, there is enough clearance between the bolt and the bushing to allow a road bump to produce a chassis bump.

I once cured that condition by removing all lubricants from the clamping surfaces, placing (shim) washers at both ends of the metal bushings and inside the body brackets, to make a firmer connection.

The eventual and final cure was to buy a set of (expensive) aftermarket links that did not have excessive clearance between the bushing and the bolt, and which fit closely between the sides of the bracket.

The photo is of the body-end bracket and bolt; my washers-based "cure" inserted washers just inside the bracket, which without the washers would have to bend to clamp the bushing.

Old 3/6/16, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluestang2187
I've got a 2012, has anyone else had alot of noise in their stock rear suspension? I took it to the dealer and they said it was the bushing in the rear swAy bar. Now its louder than before. Lots of clunking and squeaking when i go over bumps of most sizes and pretty much any speed. Let me know. I know its not a safety issue but it is sooooo irritating.
I joined this forum just so I could reply to this thread. I used threads like this to figure out where the noise was coming from in my 2013 Mustang convertible and sure enough it was the sway bar bushings or rather the sway bar link bushings. I replace them with a set of moog aftermarket swingarm links and the sound went away! No more squeaking over speed bumps or the constant thumping noise over every little bump in the road. I used a video I saw online to analyze the problem by putting the car on the rack and hitting the end of the sway bar links with a rubber mallet and even the mechanics doing the work we're surprised at how different the noises were between sway bars links it was obvious which one was bad and surprising that it was the one on the left side when I heard the sound coming from the right side. Go figure. Anyway just wanted to add my experience to this forum tell you what I did to fix the problem in case someone else is on the fence about what to do but for me problem solved
The following users liked this post:
LoveTrains (11/12/21)
Old 3/6/16, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I joined this forum just so I could reply to this thread. I used threads like this to figure out where the noise was coming from in my 2013 Mustang convertible and sure enough it was the sway bar bushings or rather the sway bar link bushings. I replace them with a set of moog aftermarket swingarm links and the sound went away! No more squeaking over speed bumps or the constant thumping noise over every little bump in the road. I used a video I saw online to analyze the problem by putting the car on the rack and hitting the end of the sway bar links with a rubber mallet and even the mechanics doing the work we're surprised at how different the noises were between sway bars links it was obvious which one was bad and surprising that it was the one on the left side when I heard the sound coming from the right side. Go figure. Anyway just wanted to add my experience to this forum tell you what I did to fix the problem in case someone else is on the fence about what to do but for me problem solved
Ernestson is offline Report Post
Old 3/6/16, 02:18 PM

that is not an answer to ,y question.
stop ducking the question ""IS THERE A TSB FOR KNOWN ISSUE?""
KEVIN
Old 6/27/16, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey eastexsteve,

Welcome to the forum! You should bring it in to your dealer and have them check it out. Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is any work needed, coverages, recalls, or any assistance available. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know the outcome.

Welcome as well. My name is Deysha with Ford Service. You’re more than welcome to bring it to a different Ford Dealer for a second opinion. Let me know if you do and what they say.

Deysha
I just happened to drift back into this discussion. Anyway. My dealer replaced the bushings & sway bar. No questions asked. Seems like some dealers -- are not so generous. About the 2 year - 24,000 mile warranty. Since I take my Mustang off the road for 4-6 months a year, the 24 months will run out well before the mileage does.. Just curious, are the replacement bushings the same or have they been improved? Why change the sway bar itself? Anyway -- no complaints about my dealer. They have always given me excellent service. Freedom Ford in Beacon NY.
Old 7/4/16, 10:36 AM

Now that winter is over the noise in the rear end is gone again. Definitely something that only seems to happen when the weather is cold.
Old 7/8/16, 08:15 AM
MLM

Originally Posted by codeoverride
Now that winter is over the noise in the rear end is gone again. Definitely something that only seems to happen when the weather is cold.
The bushings expand when warm and the noise goes away.

It's been two years since the dealer replaced both sway bar links and the car has been quiet ever since.
Old 2/22/17, 11:28 AM

2012 Mustang Premium purchased end of 2014 (just 14k miles) with clunking noise present (that's on me as I should've pressed the selling dealer harder). Car was born/sold in Michigan.
Anyway, I knew from the deep/solid sound of the "clunk" that this was fairly heavy metal upon metal.
Thanks to this thread I pursued the noise during a regular service visit. Due to this thread I suggested to service rep to have the tech inspect the sway bar. Instead, he focused on rear shocks leaking (only 27k miles now). I OK'd the shock replacement and then I got silence for a day or two.
Punchline: it wasn't the shocks. Noise remained during their test drive post-shock replacement. Further inspection on their part identified faulty sway bar link bushings (as indicated several times earlier in this thread). Dealer did me a solid since I had not authorized the sway bar link replacement. Car now drives/rides/sounds like brand new.
My thanks to everyone in this thread. You were a huge help.

Last edited by NVRAMBO; 2/22/17 at 11:30 AM.