Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

No ABS or Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/15, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No ABS or Traction Control

Just had my 2010 gt at the local shop to get two tires replaced. I don't have a local dealership but as soon as I rolled out of there with two tires, my abs and traction control stopped working. They were in a rush to get to other customers so Im taking it in Friday. I've had no issues with it before so I highly think it's an unrelated issue but I'm already hearing that they don't think it's related.... any ideas? I take it back Friday. Two tires were replaced but all four were rotated. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 1/7/15, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
It's possible they knocked an ABS sensor out of line or something, and that could cause it. Hopefully they didn't pop the sensor and kill it, or cut the wire or... :shrug:

It is also possible the two new tires are different diameter than the old tires, and that possibly is throwing off the ABS sensors due to enough rotational differences.

Source for second: Personally asked to temporarily allow my Mark VIII's wheels and tires, all new BFGs to another Mark VIII for testing, which had Goodyears and Michelins mixed. That Mark VIII's ABS and traction control was having an absolute *fit* with those others, but when my all matched set went on, problems solved.

The difference in diameter of the tires of the Goodyears and Michelins, even compensating for wear, was visibly 1/2". I kid y'all not. It took my happenstance visit for IT work there to show the customer that yes, Francis, the tires are the problem, FIX IT YOURSELF.

I'm not saying that's it, and really, I'm sure that the difference in a 1995 Mark VIII and a 2010 Mustang's ABS/Trac is going to be substantial, and they tune them different because of potential difference in overall driving (stately vs spirited), but... just something for thought. Good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 1/7/15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I'm with Houtex, sounds like a wheel speed sensor issue. You could stop by your local car store to have the DTCs read. It will arrow it worn to which WSS sensor it might be.
Old 1/10/15, 05:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
they mustve forgotten to program the tpms
Old 1/11/15, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Ooh. Good point. It probably does read those. Didn't think about that. Makes sense given a low tire will screw up the TCS.