Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

New 2014 with some Minor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/13, 07:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2014 with some Minor Issues

Well I FINALLY pulled the trigger after tossing around the idea of purchasing a stang for a little over a year. 2014 GT Premium, MT82, Brembo. I have had it for two weeks and between work and excessive nighttime cruises, I have 1000 miles on it already. I love the car, but there's a few little things that bug me.

I tried searching for this and couldn't find much, but after decent acceleration I get a noticeable bit of heat coming into the cabin from under the steering column. It's not some intense heat wave or anything, but it ends up feeling like I have a seat heater on. If this is normal I really wouldn't care, but if it's something I can/need to fix then I'd like to take care of it.

My other concerns are with.... the tranny. I have been blocked from neutral to first at a dead stop a couple times, but this doesn't seem to happen much anymore. I would also get a whirring/scraping noise engaging second at low speeds, but a couple hundred more rpms have taken care of that. I hate feeling like I'm going hard on the clutch but I may just be used to driving a four cylinder.

The problem that has persisted a bit however, is notchy shifting first-second past about 2900 rpms. Once again, this isn't a real problem since I try to get out of first as soon as possible, but I don't want to feel like I need to baby a brand new Mustang.

If anyone can share any input on any of these things that would be great. I love the car, but there's room to love it even more.
Old 7/13/13, 07:48 PM
GT Member

I don't remember ever seeing anything about the heat issue you described. I've never experienced it.

Regarding your transmission/shifter issues, there have been extensive discussions on this with different opinions on what to do ranging from it just needing a driver mod all the way to needing to replace the shifter with an MGW unit. I personally don't think its just you. I had similar problems and within a month or so of buying mine, I replaced the shifter bracket with a Steeda unit. It was a good enough improvement for me. I only occasionally still have 2nd-3rd shifting issues but $80 vs $400 still seems like a pretty good trade off.

I may still end up getting an MGW unit. But I'll probably wait and do it next spring if I swap out the driveshaft.
Old 7/13/13, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't hesitate to take it in to the dealer. That's what warranties are for. If you don't get the attention you should, contact Deysha. She's the Ford Customer Service rep who has been a great advocate for Mustang owners.
Old 7/13/13, 08:14 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I do want to get to the dealership, but with work it's going to have to wait until next weekend. I have definitely thought about the MGW, but I don't want to be denied warranty coverage on my tranny because of it.

In the meantime I'm just going to keep driving the car. Like I said in my first post, I'm coming from light clutch, torqueless four cylinders. This car has such a different feel that maybe it will take a bit more getting used to and all the quirks will sort themselves out.
Old 7/13/13, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One of the things I found was being light on the shifter. Older cars took a bit more "force" to shift.....let the shifter float in your hand with a light grip. The tighter you hold it, the harder it is to shift at times. This worked for me....but do see the dealer and don't think any thing is just you.....
Old 7/13/13, 10:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driver mod needed IMO.

This MT82 has such a tight gate to it and the clutch needs to be fully disengaged for a smooth shift that many just can't seem to get the hang of it right off.

My car shifts butter smooth so long as I am attentive, this with the stock shifter and at any rpm or gear position.
Old 7/13/13, 11:06 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the input. I will try to be more mindful of my technique in the future, but don't want to write it off as driver error just yet.
Old 7/13/13, 11:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with AzPete 100% on Shifter technique! Once I started driving this way I became far more comfortable with the Shifter feeling.
Old 7/14/13, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
jmaStang,

Congrats on your new ride, the mustang has been very unique experience for me and I'm sure you will have lots of fun down the road. Assuming this is the first time owning a mustang (at least it is for me), I'd like to share my 2cents with you.

I'd first like to ask you to free your mind from those little things that's been bugging the heck out of you. Do not try to baby your mustang too much, do not try to be picky. This is not to say just drive hard and beat up your brand new car. The more you care, the more damage you will end up getting. Unless this is your weekend warrior or a show car, although I still park mine far far away from everybody trying to avoid things like shopping carts or door dings

THE HEAT ISSUE:
It gets quite warm down there, yes? sometimes you wonder if the heater/heated seat(mine has them, comfort pkg) is left on. I went to dealerships several times, even got ford regional service rep involved trying to figure out what's causing it. Hmm... One of my friends recently got brand new 5.0 and guess what? SAME THING. You might also consider condensation issue on windshield, the fogging.

THE TRANNY:
Pretty notchy eh? Any clunking noise? Do you notice it from 1st to 2nd or is it 2nd to 3rd. Have you missed 3rd yet. I'm sure it shifts better when you give more gas at higher RPM (no, not like when you redline). This behavior has NOTHING to do engine being V8 or someone coming from four cylinder or any other car. I'd Start by slow shifting. Clutch all the way to the floor. Shift in timely manner, yet be precise. I now have Steeda shifter bracket (installed out of pure curiosity) this seems to help better at gear engaging, but such nature still exist. I'm not going to get short throws just yet, maybe after trackday it will be more apparent. Get used to it and you will end up liking it - still not BMW easy smooth or quite.

If these still bug you, take it in. Make sure you tell service guy to watch out where to put the key in the ignition - the position is different, and you don't want any scratches - the interior plastic parts are very easily get scratched. My2cents, enjoy your Mustang!
Old 7/14/13, 07:49 AM
GT Member

PonyMuscletang13, this is my first Mustang and I'd like to thank you for your advice. Your description of the heat issue is dead on. I don't even have the comfort package, but I was looking in my manual to make sure I didn't have a heated seat. And yes, fog on the windshield!

As far as the tranny, you guys seem to be leaning towards it being my fault. I'll definitely try to be more mindful of my technique and see how it goes. My issue is mainly 1-2. I actually look forward to 2-3. A nice little open palm nudge and the centering springs put me right there.
Old 7/14/13, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaStang
PonyMuscletang13, this is my first Mustang and I'd like to thank you for your advice. Your description of the heat issue is dead on. I don't even have the comfort package, but I was looking in my manual to make sure I didn't have a heated seat. And yes, fog on the windshield!

As far as the tranny, you guys seem to be leaning towards it being my fault. I'll definitely try to be more mindful of my technique and see how it goes. My issue is mainly 1-2. I actually look forward to 2-3. A nice little open palm nudge and the centering springs put me right there.
I'm just happy to help, glad we can share experiences as mustang owners

The tranny is not your fault... at all. I've seen some people in this forum having to learn how to drive manual all over again after 40+ years experience, so I'd say the tranny is the weakest link in these cars.

And yes, my main issue was also 1-2 with occasional missing 3rd. I have also tried 'nice open palm' hand trick (actually mine was more like 'fingering' shifts trying not to push in too hard lol). Are you still using that ugly stock shifter ****? If so I highly recommend swapping with 'Pool-ball' *****. I have Barton Industries. Installs in 5mins, they are not just for the looks
Old 7/14/13, 07:01 PM
V6 Member

My other concerns are with.... the tranny. I have been blocked from neutral to first at a dead stop a couple times, but this doesn't seem to happen much anymore. I would also get a whirring/scraping noise engaging second at low speeds, but a couple hundred more rpms have taken care of that. I hate feeling like I'm going hard on the clutch but I may just be used to driving a four cylinder.

The problem that has persisted a bit however, is notchy shifting first-second past about 2900 rpms. Once again, this isn't a real problem since I try to get out of first as soon as possible, but I don't want to feel like I need to baby a brand new Mustang.

If anyone can share any input on any of these things that would be great. I love the car, but there's room to love it even more.
Occasionally blocked out of first at dead stop. Normal on every manual trans car I have owned. Clutch it again and it should go in.

Whirring noise in 2nd, also normal for these transmissions. If you develop a supercharger type whine, well that's something different and a warranty problem.

Is the notchy 1-2 shift when cold? If so that is also characteristic of the MT82. Most drive around it until the transmission warms up by starting in 2nd or doing a 1-3 shift.

You do need to develop a technique in shifting the MT82. Do a search and you will find lots of good advice on this technique.
Old 7/15/13, 04:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes....relearning this shifting is something that helps. I felt like I had forgotten how to shift once I got the '11 GT/CS. Now I have no issues and I test the high speed shifting every time I pull onto the local highway. Been 18,000+ miles without issues now. I do have a larger poolball type **** that makes the stock shifter feel much better.
Old 7/15/13, 05:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with the heat issue. I also have that warm feeling in my 13, and had it in my 08 as well. On a nice warm day when I just want to drive with the window down, it does get a bit warm on the inside. I wish I had cooled seats instead of heated seats! A lot of the times I just find myself riding with the windows down and the a/c on!

I can't say I get locked out of first, but in the spring and fall when it's cold the first 5-10 minutes of driving the 1-2 2-3 shifts can be difficult. Slow and easy does help. Once it warms up it goes away.

Clunking noises too when shifting. I had a friend with me recently and she heard it. She was like, "what was that?".

Just something we deal with so you're not alone!
Old 7/15/13, 05:32 PM
GT Member

On a long highway drive you can feel a bit of warmth near your lower leg on the accelerator foot possibly from the transmission - I wouldn't worry about it unless smoking hot.

This trans will certainly school you about precise shifting. The other posters have given good advise. Do not hold onto the gear shift like it is an axe handle, shift with an open hand. I keep the baby finger side of my hand on the consol and just use finger tips or an open hand with the shift lever between thumb and fore finger for shifts from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th. 3mos later I am just starting to get the hang of it.
Old 7/15/13, 06:32 PM
GT Member

Thanks everyone. Much more input than I had expected. I agree on the "relearning how to drive" aspect of these cars. It's not like anything else I've owned or driven. It even sounds like some of you have more finicky shifters than I do. I just use four fingers on 1-2, palm on 2-3, fingers on 3-4, palm and thumb on 4-5, and a palm facing away from me 5-6.

The heat issue is inconsistent. I thought it was after a burst of acceleration, but just driving around town tonight I started feeling it. Does anyone else feel like the car just gets very hot in general? I mean I am in Florida, but when I put this thing in my garage it's like a sauna.

As long as everything is normal I'm fine with it. It can make whatever heat or noises it wants. I didn't buy it for luxury.
Old 7/16/13, 03:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure the factory rubber plugs that are in your firewall are seated properly. i found a rather large plug was unseated and letting in engine heat.
Old 7/16/13, 07:37 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I FINALLY pulled the trigger after tossing around the idea of purchasing a stang for a little over a year. 2014 GT Premium, MT82, Brembo. I have had it for two weeks and between work and excessive nighttime cruises, I have 1000 miles on it already. I love the car, but there's a few little things that bug me...
Hello jmaStang,

Congrats on your new ride! I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Originally Posted by tukatz
Don't hesitate to take it in to the dealer. That's what warranties are for. If you don't get the attention you should, contact Deysha. She's the Ford Customer Service rep who has been a great advocate for Mustang owners.
Thanks for the mention, tukatz!

Deysha