Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

MT-82 6th gear issue.

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/14, 06:58 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MT-82 6th gear issue.

Well I had 7,700 trouble free miles when I stopped for gas last night. Got back onto the freeway in 3rd-4th to about 70 mph, and then I tried to shift 4th-6th and there was a loud grind and it refused to go into gear; tried 5th and that was smooth as butter, pushed the clutch back in and tried 6th again and nothing but grinding and refusal to go into gear. So rationlized that the 6th gear synchro has a problem and decided to try double clutching, which allowed it to go into 6th gear without a problem. There are no problems when it was in gear, but now it won't go into 6th without double clutching like there is no synchro. I have never slammed 6th, and all of the other gears are fine and have smooth engagement, even cold.

Still on the stock shifter and trans fluid, but it is totally acting (to me) like the 6th gear synchro is gone; totally out of the blue as it went into 6th fine on the trip to the gas station just ten minutes prior.

Anyone else have this issue? I tried searching through the known lock out issues with the MT-82, but this is occuring at standard shift speed, low RPM, highway engagement attempts. I already scheduled an appointment to have it looked at; but just thought I would put it out there to see if this is just a bad luck malfunction with our new car (original owner).
Old 4/20/14, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time I've heard of a 6th gear only issue on the MT82. Do you hear any whining or notice any recent increase in backlash from the transmission?

If the issue persists, get it into the shop ASAP to avoid further damage to the transmission.
Old 4/20/14, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
First time I've heard of a 6th gear only issue on the MT82. Do you hear any whining or notice any recent increase in backlash from the transmission?

If the issue persists, get it into the shop ASAP to avoid further damage to the transmission.
I couldn't find anything in my limited research about just 6th gear either. Probably just one of those random mechanical issues. There is no slop, no grinding in engaging any other gear (like the cold transmission fluid issue common to the MT-82), and no new NVH/whining while in gear. Matter of fact 6th gear feels fine as I just drove home from San Francisco to Stockton and cruised in 6th most of the way. I even left my music off to listen for any new sounds from the transmission. The only thing I noticed was the creaking from the seatbelt guide (never noticed it before).

*shrug*

Last edited by Azrael; 4/20/14 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 4/21/14, 01:14 PM
GT Member

So 6th gear synchronizer is done, my diagnosis was pretty much what Ford found. Sadly, I will be without the Mustang for approximately a week, and the rental car they are dumping me into is a Dodge Charger... Oh well, stuff happens, things break...
Old 4/21/14, 02:24 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Azrael
So 6th gear synchronizer is done, my diagnosis was pretty much what Ford found. Sadly, I will be without the Mustang for approximately a week, and the rental car they are dumping me into is a Dodge Charger... Oh well, stuff happens, things break...
Glad to learn your dealer is taking care of this for you, Azrael. Keep me posted with the outcome.

Deysha
Old 4/21/14, 04:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Glad to learn your dealer is taking care of this for you, Azrael. Keep me posted with the outcome.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha, will do.
Old 4/22/14, 07:15 AM

Thanks Deysha, will do.
No problem, Azrael!

Deysha
Old 4/29/14, 06:55 PM
GT Member

Final Update (6th Gear Synchro in the MT-82): Just picked up the Mustang from the dealership and returned the rental. The transmission is going into 6th gear again without complaint although, now it seems like it is "notchier" on gears 1-3, but that sounds typical for the MT-82; despite never having the issue before.

Other than that, the car seems fine, and I am glad to have it back!
Old 4/29/14, 07:12 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Final Update (6th Gear Synchro in the MT-82): Just picked up the Mustang from the dealership and returned the rental. The transmission is going into 6th gear again without complaint although, now it seems like it is "notchier" on gears 1-3, but that sounds typical for the MT-82; despite never having the issue before.
Glad to hear that you got your car back.
Sucks to hear about your troubles with the transmission though. Only 7,700 miles too? These cheap *** transmissions, really suck! Hopefully this isn't a recurring issue.
Good luck man.
Old 4/30/14, 06:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Did they repair the trans or replace it?
Old 4/30/14, 06:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 88lx50
Did they repair the trans or replace it?
They repaired it, replaced the 5-6 synchro and cone and reassembled it.
Old 5/2/14, 09:33 AM

Glad you have your baby back, Azrael! Keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 6/21/16, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MT82 Grinding into 6th

I am original owner of a 2013 Mustang 5.0 which now has 103K miles on it. Lately I've been noticing that the stock clutch was starting to slip so I ordered a McLeod RXT clutch and new flywheel. Also, the stock shifter had been giving me grief from day one under high-torque, so I ordered a Ford racing short-throw shifter to complete the upgrade.
A week before getting all the parts in the transmission started grinding trying to go into 6th gear! At that point I assumed due to the clutch failing.
Just picked up the car this afternoon after having the new clutch & shifter installed and as soon as I got on the freeway, once again, it grinds going into 6th!!! Ugh!
Just read these posts and just wanted people to know that it IS AN ISSUE! Now, after dropping some good money on the clutch and shifter I'll be making calls tomorrow to find how much this is going to set me back!
This baby is my 5th and final Mustang, so I'm trying to it right. .....things break, right?!