Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Mustang GT 5.0 Transmission Question/normal?

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/16, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang GT 5.0 Transmission Question/normal?

Hi Everyone! I recently picked up a 2014 GT a few months ago and I'm loving it! However, after researching general problems regarding the infamous transmission clunk and jerkiness that you learn to live with, I never came across someone describing an issue I had from time to time and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

The problem is when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd after a fair amount of driving (including stop and go traffic). I usually shift around ~2K-2.5K and when I push in the clutch all the way to the floor, the transmission clunks and thuds louder than any other time and it feels as if the clutch is sticking a bit and won't disengage until a second after of holding. It's as if the transmission has rocks in it and that every part sounds extra harsh and is about to fall out of the car. Now this doesn't happen all the time, but it can be quite relevant and mostly happens once as the car is fully warmed up.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? It's the strangest thing.
Old 6/9/16, 09:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingGray41
Hi Everyone! I recently picked up a 2014 GT a few months ago and I'm loving it! However, after researching general problems regarding the infamous transmission clunk and jerkiness that you learn to live with, I never came across someone describing an issue I had from time to time and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

The problem is when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd after a fair amount of driving (including stop and go traffic). I usually shift around ~2K-2.5K and when I push in the clutch all the way to the floor, the transmission clunks and thuds louder than any other time and it feels as if the clutch is sticking a bit and won't disengage until a second after of holding. It's as if the transmission has rocks in it and that every part sounds extra harsh and is about to fall out of the car. Now this doesn't happen all the time, but it can be quite relevant and mostly happens once as the car is fully warmed up.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? It's the strangest thing.
That is definitely not normal and even weirder that it happens after the car is warmed up. Time to visit your dealer!
Old 6/16/16, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input Kylerohde. I'm going to look into getting it checked out and replicated. As a side note, sometimes when I put the car in 1st and take off, there is a grinding noise when leaving from a stopped position. Could that be relevant to all of this or synchro related?

Thanks
Old 6/17/16, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingGray41
Thanks for your input Kylerohde. I'm going to look into getting it checked out and replicated. As a side note, sometimes when I put the car in 1st and take off, there is a grinding noise when leaving from a stopped position. Could that be relevant to all of this or synchro related?

Thanks
If it sounds kind of like marbles rolling around when you take off in 1st it's probably normal, mine has made that sound since new and I'm at 52K miles now. The MT-82 is a noisy transmission.
Old 6/24/16, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know what your dealer finds. I have a 12 GT with the MT82 ordered from the factory. I think the MT82s have gremlins in them. Mine has exhibited an occasional loud clunk, sometimes a grind of a gear. I doubt it will do this when your dealer drives it. I have 31K and despite these occasional oddities, it's been fine. I will add that I have over 100k of driving on other MTs and have never had one quite like this. Mostly it's very good, just that occasional ghost coming up.

Last edited by redneb; 6/24/16 at 07:02 PM.