Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/13, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrell Lee
Quit complaining? Really? Do you really believe someone shouldn't complain about a new $40,000 car in its' 4th or 5th year (?) of production with the same basic engine having these issues which involve multiple owners? And with the vast resources of Ford MOCO not having a handle on what to do? Many veteran Ford Techs chiming-in here and elsewhere say that a new PCM will likely fix it, yet Ford doesn't try this? Is this too expensive because too many folks are having this issue? One guy on another forum started having this exact problem in November 2012, and they just finally fixed it in March 2013. Quit complaining? Really?

I have had mine back to the dealership 3 times for the same problem.

Last edited by Mike's GT; 3/31/13 at 06:26 AM.
Old 4/3/13, 09:34 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I spoke too soon. It started missing yesterday morning about 2 miles from home. Engine temperature was up to about 165 degree (head temp) and I had just hit 3rd gear. It acted like it was running on 7 cylinders for about 30 seconds. Was fine the rest of the day and today.
I know this is frustrating, Darrell Lee. Please continue to work with your CSM.

Originally Posted by Mike's GT
I have had mine back to the dealership 3 times for the same problem.
Hello and welcome, Mike’s GT! I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager of your area. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 4/6/13, 06:33 AM

They replaced the crank position sensor last week, one week without a problem, fingers crossed.

Question: I read somewhere that transmission had to be dropped to replace this part and rear main seal is also replaced. Is this true? What is involved in replacing this?
Old 4/6/13, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They replaced the crank position sensor last week, one week without a problem, fingers crossed.

Question: I read somewhere that transmission had to be dropped to replace this part and rear main seal is also replaced. Is this true? What is involved in replacing this?
The sensor itself doesn't require the trans to be pulled, but if they replace the trigger wheel at the same time it would. The trigger wheel is behind the flywheel:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_23.html

They replaced the CKP sensor and trigger wheel on my car 500 miles ago, and misfire has not returned since.
Old 4/18/13, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This awesome light came up today. I am not a happy camper right now. I literally bought this car on Saturday. Have not even had the thing for a week and it does this.

Pretty much my light started to blink this morning going to work (around 4k rpms). It blinked for about 10 seconds. On my way home from work, the check engine light began to blink again. However after about 45 seconds it stayed on. I'm at the dealer right now. Keep you guys posted!

Btw It's a 2013 mustang gt premium.

Update: the dealership uploaded another "tune" to the engine and the car appears to run fine. All in all it took about 30 minutes.

Last edited by dave07; 4/18/13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 4/19/13, 08:28 AM

Dave, this WILL NOT fix it. The problem is the crank position sensor, but the techs have a protocol by Big Ford that they have to follow. Ultimately the CPS fixed mine.
Old 4/19/13, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Dave, this WILL NOT fix it. The problem is the crank position sensor, but the techs have a protocol by Big Ford that they have to follow. Ultimately the CPS fixed mine.
Awesome. So I just have to keep going back until it is fixed?

This is very disappointing, especially for being such a new car.
Old 4/19/13, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by dave07

This awesome light came up today. I am not a happy camper right now. I literally bought this car on Saturday. Have not even had the thing for a week and it does this.
Pretty much my light started to blink this morning going to work (around 4k rpms). It blinked for about 10 seconds. On my way home from work, the check engine light began to blink again. However after about 45 seconds it stayed on. I'm at the dealer right now. Keep you guys posted!
Welcome to the forum, dave07! Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate yours as well.

Deysha
Old 4/19/13, 08:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's exactly what I was saying earlier about Ford learning from past experience... Why don't apply the fix right away instead of going trough all those useless steps...
Old 4/19/13, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Welcome to the forum, dave07! Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate yours as well.

Deysha

Thanks Deysha!! I Pm'ed you.
Old 4/21/13, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

You were right!! I was at a stoplight and my check engine started blinking for ~10 seconds. I PM'd Deysha. So hopefully i'll hear from someone this week. How long does replacing the crank position sensor take?
Old 4/22/13, 09:37 AM

Thanks Deysha!! I Pm'ed you.
You were right!! I was at a stoplight and my check engine started blinking for ~10 seconds. I PM'd Deysha. So hopefully i'll hear from someone this week. How long does replacing the crank position sensor take?
Thanks, dave07! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 4/22/13, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've driven 1,000 miles since CKP replacement without any misfiring, this looks to be the fix.
Old 5/1/13, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Update: The check engine light came back on this past weekend. The dealership pulled the codes today and it was the misfire again. The service guys said they uploaded a new tune (different from the first one). If this doesn't work then they will replace the Crank Position Sensor. So we will see. It has been interesting...
Old 5/1/13, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update: The check engine light came back on this past weekend. The dealership pulled the codes today and it was the misfire again. The service guys said they uploaded a new tune (different from the first one). If this doesn't work then they will replace the Crank Position Sensor. So we will see. It has been interesting...
You better schedule your appointment now for your next visit......

Tune updates and relearn have worked more than a week so far

Only solution that seems to resolve this issue is Changing the "O ring" or the CKP itself.

Last edited by Dineau; 5/1/13 at 05:23 PM.
Old 5/3/13, 12:58 PM

I'm getting these, too. Look up TSB 13-01-11. I haven't made an appointment yet but I will very soon. It's quite frustrating with a brand new car and less than 3000 miles on it! It seems to do it only when it's cold.
Old 5/17/13, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Update: After the second tune Ford put on my car, the check engine light started flashing again. In my state of Pennsylvania, I can claim a lemon law if it goes back in the dealership for the same issue (ford has 3 chances to fix the same issue). So, hopefully replacing the Crank Position Sensor will fix the problem.I have no idea why Ford doesn't recommend replacing the Sensor first. Money I suppose.

The only bright side of this whole ordeal is Ford has been excellant with the Customer Service.

Last edited by dave07; 9/12/14 at 12:01 PM.
Old 5/20/13, 07:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I know have mine back from dealer, new PCM and crank shaft sensor, they also ran numerous diagnostics and so far it is running fine no false cel and no issues.
I hope this last trip has fixed the problem.
We have not heard anything from you since 3/22 and was wondering how your car is running since they replaced the PCM and the Crank Case Sensor. Please update us.
Old 5/20/13, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Sent you a PM WAJM, and just as a followup, I have put about 3000 miles on the car since the PCM/CCS fix without a hitch.
I believe the problem has been solved, keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 5/21/13, 06:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Sent you a PM WAJM, and just as a followup, I have put about 3000 miles on the car since the PCM/CCS fix without a hitch.
I believe the problem has been solved, keeping my fingers crossed!
Got your PM, Thanks.

Quick Reply: Misfire