Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Losing power while accelerating...

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/14, 10:31 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing power while accelerating...

Hi guys/girls of TMS, I've been having an issue with my car for the past month or so, I'll just get right into it. Whenever I accelerate either from a dig or shift from about 3rd-4th or 4th-5th etc the rpms would rev about 2,000 rpms higher from whatever the current rpm would be the engine would "race" but the car will not make any power to the wheels. What do you think the issue may be? I thought when the issue first surfaced that it might be the Bama tune so I went ahead and got a nice Lund tune. For the first two runs the car felt better but I still noticed I wasn't getting the acceleration and power it used to. No check engine lights are currently on so I'm hoping this isn't a major problem, I wanted some input before I take her in to the ford service station. Thanks for the help.
Old 8/4/14, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
If your engine is revving high between shifts, to me it sounds like your clutch is slipping. How many miles do you have on the car? A worn out clutch will do that. And how high is the clutch engagement? Usually as clutch wears engagement point lowers. I am pretty sure you will need a new clutch. Good luck.

Last edited by Wild5.0; 8/4/14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 8/4/14, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Wild5.0
If your engine is revving high between shifts, to me it sounds like your clutch is slipping. How many miles do you have on the car? A worn out clutch will do that. And how high is the clutch engagement? Usually as clutch wears engagement point lowers. I am pretty sure you will need a new clutch. Good luck.
OP are you adding gas during the shift or not fully lifting of the gas when depressing the clutch?
Old 8/4/14, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Yes it's revving extremely high between shifts I have 25k miles right now. I'm not sure what u mean by clutch engagement. I was afraid that it might be the clutch. Thank you for ur reply.
Old 8/4/14, 12:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6
OP are you adding gas during the shift or not fully lifting of the gas when depressing the clutch?
I'm pretty sure that I fully let go of the gas engage the clutch shift and then gas, but now you have me second guessing myself
Old 8/4/14, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BKStyles
Yes it's revving extremely high between shifts I have 25k miles right now. I'm not sure what u mean by clutch engagement. I was afraid that it might be the clutch. Thank you for ur reply.
Wow that is way to early for the clutch to go out unless it was abused. It could be a mechanical problem though, maybe the pressure plate is not providing enough clamping force. Your under warranty I hope they cover it for you and not blame it on abusive driving. Btw By clutch engagement I mean the point on the clutch where you hold it for a second which is about the half way point for most cars. Usually as it wears the engagement point raises, (I said lowers on my previous post i meant raised).
Old 8/4/14, 02:19 PM
GT Member

Wow that is way to early for the clutch to go out unless it was abused. It could be a mechanical problem though, maybe the pressure plate is not providing enough clamping force. Your under warranty I hope they cover it for you and not blame it on abusive driving. Btw By clutch engagement I mean the point on the clutch where you hold it for a second which is about the half way point for most cars. Usually as it wears the engagement point raises, (I said lowers on my previous post i meant raised).
Yeah I mean I don't really have a hard time shifting or have the gears grind or anything so a mechanical problem is plausible just hope it's not the tranny. I hope warranty covers it I have the CAI, tune and xpipe so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Sorry if I didn't understand what u meant by the clutch engagement, I have about a 10% mechanical knowledge (took me two days to install the intake, lol) but the clutch feels the same from when I first got the car no real difference.
Old 8/4/14, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I mean I don't really have a hard time shifting or have the gears grind or anything so a mechanical problem is plausible just hope it's not the tranny. I hope warranty covers it I have the CAI, tune and xpipe so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Sorry if I didn't understand what u meant by the clutch engagement, I have about a 10% mechanical knowledge (took me two days to install the intake, lol) but the clutch feels the same from when I first got the car no real difference.
I don't think its your tranny. But i don't want to diagnose without having seen the car. Also your tune and x-pipe should not void your warranty, tune has nothing to do with the clutch slipping. If you had engine problems then they could blame it on the tune. Most likely they will pull it apart and tell you if there is any evidence of racing or improper shifting they wont cover it. Good luck and let us know what they say.
Old 8/4/14, 04:21 PM
GT Member

I don't think its your tranny. But i don't want to diagnose without having seen the car. Also your tune and x-pipe should not void your warranty, tune has nothing to do with the clutch slipping. If you had engine problems then they could blame it on the tune. Most likely they will pull it apart and tell you if there is any evidence of racing or improper shifting they wont cover it. Good luck and let us know what they say.
I'm gonna take it in for service on Wednesday morning hopefully it won't be too bad maybe I just need an oil change lol. Thanks a lot for the great input I'll definitely give an update.
Old 8/6/14, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor

Hi guys/girls of TMS, I've been having an issue with my car for the past month or so, I'll just get right into it. Whenever I accelerate either from a dig or shift from about 3rd-4th or 4th-5th etc the rpms would rev about 2,000 rpms higher from whatever the current rpm would be the engine would "race" but the car will not make any power to the wheels. What do you think the issue may be? I thought when the issue first surfaced that it might be the Bama tune so I went ahead and got a nice Lund tune. For the first two runs the car felt better but I still noticed I wasn't getting the acceleration and power it used to. No check engine lights are currently on so I'm hoping this isn't a major problem, I wanted some input before I take her in to the ford service station. Thanks for the help.
Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6
^These are the first two things that come to mind. I don't think this is related to the tune. I've done this before if I was feeling lazy when shifting and didn't completely get off the gas when shifting. That sounds like what you're experiencing.

I would take it for a ride and be super careful shifting and see if it still happens! After that, I'd look into the clutch.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 8/7/14, 05:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
^These are the first two things that come to mind. I don't think this is related to the tune. I've done this before if I was feeling lazy when shifting and didn't completely get off the gas when shifting. That sounds like what you're experiencing. I would take it for a ride and be super careful shifting and see if it still happens! After that, I'd look into the clutch. Hope this helps! -Dan
Thanks for the input. I still haven't had the chance to take her into the shop. After seeing the great reviews of the Mach stage 3 I might just get them installed just because.
Old 8/11/14, 06:57 PM
GT Member

Well a bit of an update, driving on the highway today doing about 70 in 5th gear, attempted to down shift as I was slowing down clutch not engaging and I can no longer shift. The car luckily was in a gear so I was able to pull over to the shoulder. She's getting towed to Ford in the morning so wish me luck guys. I'll update soon.
Old 8/12/14, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Well a bit of an update, driving on the highway today doing about 70 in 5th gear, attempted to down shift as I was slowing down clutch not engaging and I can no longer shift. The car luckily was in a gear so I was able to pull over to the shoulder. She's getting towed to Ford in the morning so wish me luck guys. I'll update soon.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck to you, I am actually really interested in what caused this.
Old 8/12/14, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ugh. That sucks man. Hopefully it's a simple and quick fix, and you get her back quickly.
Old 8/14/14, 09:29 AM
GT Member

Well looks like it was the clutch, service manager told me that they are waiting for authorization from ESP whoever that is.
Old 8/14/14, 09:43 AM

Well looks like it was the clutch, service manager told me that they are waiting for authorization from ESP whoever that is.
ESP stands for Extended Service Plan. That just means that they are getting it covered under the warranty and need approval from the warranty administrators at Ford.
Old 8/14/14, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Amuzed3437
ESP stands for Extended Service Plan. That just means that they are getting it covered under the warranty and need approval from the warranty administrators at Ford.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Why didn't he just say that when I spoke to him? He said it like I knew what that was supposed to mean, lol
Old 8/14/14, 03:04 PM
GT Member

Looks like the clutch isn't covered under warranty like I hoped, they wanna charge me $1280 for the parts and install. I don't think I'm gonna be doing that. Any suggestions on an aftermarket?
Old 8/14/14, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the clutch isn't covered under warranty like I hoped, they wanna charge me $1280 for the parts and install. I don't think I'm gonna be doing that. Any suggestions on an aftermarket?
McLeod MXT is what I see a lot of racers use at the strip on the MT-82 trans.
Old 8/14/14, 03:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Amuzed3437
Originally Posted by KushBandit
McLeod MXT is what I see a lot of racers use at the strip on the MT-82 trans.
I have yet to put my car on the strip, it's primarily just a street car.

Quick Reply: Losing power while accelerating...