Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Left rear tire cupping

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/16, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left rear tire cupping

During my last trip for service I complained of a noise and vibration from the left year. They said the tire was cupping and that is what is causing it. I had the tires rotated while I was there and could definitely tell it WAS a tire problem, the right front was shaking so bad that I could hardly drive it.

I was researching what tires I wanted to put on it and a few weeks later noticed that the problem was clearing up. But then after a few thousand miles, I started noticing the left rear again.

So there is something going on with the left rear that is wearing the tires funny. I have to find the time to be able to take it into the shop again to see what they can find. My big concern is that I am getting close to 36K and warranty expiring. If they say they fixed it, I won't know until I get a couple of thousand miles on it and it starts to show up again. If it is something that was initially addressed under warranty, do they have to keep trying until they get it right?

This one is driving me nuts because with a solid axle, I can't think of what could be causing it and what do I tell them if they say nothing is wrong?
Old 11/17/16, 07:37 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Cupping is usually caused by worn suspension components. Most likely shocks, since it is on the rear of a solid axle car. There isn't much else back there to wear.