Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

I broke an imput shaft...WTF

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/11, 01:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I broke an imput shaft...WTF

A week ago I overtook someone on the freeway and heard a funny noise. After letting off the gas I noticed my speed was decreasing awkwardly but my RPMs were stuck as if I was still at WOT.

I had it towed to a Ford Dealer and it's being repaired under the powertrain warranty but is this a normal occurrence for a car owned for only 15months. Granted, I have 40k miles cause of my commute but Ive never had a transmission issue before.

Two months ago, my traction control started turning off on its own while displaying service advancetrac, that was repaired right before my basic warranty expired...something about a faulty restraint module the dealer explained.

At the rate I'm going I'll be out of all warranties soon, should I be concerned that my baby is going to be a problem child?
Old 11/2/11, 09:57 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by super6stang
At the rate I'm going I'll be out of all warranties soon, should I be concerned that my baby is going to be a problem child?
Hey super6stang,

Please don’t become concerned. I recommend you make sure you keep your dealer “in the know” of everything going on with your vehicle at all times. If anything happens later on, speak to your Service Manager and PM me to see how I can help.

Deysha
Old 11/2/11, 11:14 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That kind of a silly question... If it was a normal occurrence wouldn't you have heard of it before now? Most likely a bad cast on the shaft and it finally gave. But if your worried ill buy the car off of you for a grand
Old 11/3/11, 01:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
That kind of a silly question... If it was a normal occurrence wouldn't you have heard of it before now? Most likely a bad cast on the shaft and it finally gave. But if your worried ill buy the car off of you for a grand
Allow me to rephrase, has anyone ever experienced this issue before not necessarily in a 2011 Mustang but at all? Forgive me for being a novice but I've owned only four cars, all Fords, 3 Mustangs and I've never nor anyone I know has met this issue. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 11/3/11, 01:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey super6stang,

Please don’t become concerned. I recommend you make sure you keep your dealer “in the know” of everything going on with your vehicle at all times. If anything happens later on, speak to your Service Manager and PM me to see how I can help.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha

Hopefully, it never comes to that, just a bit fretful over footing the bill if any other major issues arise.
Old 11/3/11, 04:15 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Input shafts happen. Probably in your case, just a flaw in the casting. Don't think it's a common problem in those models. 03-04 cobras were a big problem for input shafts. Especially when modded. Shouldn't be anything to worry about reoccurring.
Old 11/3/11, 05:44 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Input shafts happen. Probably in your case, just a flaw in the casting. Don't think it's a common problem in those models. 03-04 cobras were a big problem for input shafts. Especially when modded. Shouldn't be anything to worry about reoccurring.
Wheel hop? Lol
Old 11/3/11, 05:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not heard of a sheared input shaft yet. This is the first. I wouldn't be worried about your car.
Old 11/3/11, 07:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Deysha
Hopefully, it never comes to that, just a bit fretful over footing the bill if any other major issues arise.
I definitely understand. If you ever have any questions or need help, just PM me.

Deysha
Old 12/8/11, 09:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Mine went last week. Granted I have mods- but it's nothing serious and ones that haven't been done before. My service guy pulled for me, and found a clause that said aftermarket "might" void warranty and he emphasized the 'might' part, and that the power I gained shouldn't have trashed the trans. I followed up with the tuner Brenspeed and they too said it was extremely UNcommon... and probably a faulty input shaft.

Ford wont cover. Service is advising a whole new trans. 3.5k out the door... Not pleased in the least

I was told it "snapped" and in doing so created metal shards throughout and scuffed up some plates... no pics or visual on my end though...

2010 40K miles. driven with the tune for ~30k.
Old 12/8/11, 09:46 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Mine went last week. Granted I have mods- but it's nothing serious and ones that haven't been done before. My service guy pulled for me, and found a clause that said aftermarket "might" void warranty and he emphasized the 'might' part, and that the power I gained shouldn't have trashed the trans. I followed up with the tuner Brenspeed and they too said it was extremely UNcommon... and probably a faulty input shaft.

Ford wont cover. Service is advising a whole new trans. 3.5k out the door... Not pleased in the least

I was told it "snapped" and in doing so created metal shards throughout and scuffed up some plates... no pics or visual on my end though...

2010 40K miles. driven with the tune for ~30k.
Bad luck...
Old 12/9/11, 03:10 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
super6stang and 2010mustangGT-

are these V6/V8, and auto or manual?

just curious, they used to do a lot of cnc bar/tube stuff at work, they ran input shafts/turbine shafts/output shafts/slipyokes/double-cardan ujoints for the gm transmissions for years...they were all steel/machined, splines were roll formed, etc...anyway, nothing cast except slipyokes and ujoint yokes...just curious if *maybe* theyve gone to powdered metal or cast now on input shafts...

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/9/11 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12/9/11, 03:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Allow me to rephrase, has anyone ever experienced this issue before not necessarily in a 2011 Mustang but at all?
One of my previous car's pilot bearing froze where the input shaft meets the flywheel - twice in about 30k.

It didn't break the input shaft but it did bind it.
So I removed the bearing and used a oil-lite bronze bushing. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT

I was told it "snapped" and in doing so created metal shards throughout and scuffed up some plates...
scuffed the clutch plate? Or did the shaft break inside the trans casing?

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/9/11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12/9/11, 04:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
[COLOR=darkgreen]

scuffed the clutch plate? Or did the shaft break inside the trans casing?
not entirely sure. But i was told it snapped on the connection into the torque converter. It was apparently in a few pieces. And it "bent/scuffed multiple parts", I'm guessing a turbine or so.

It broke in a way similar to this.
Old 12/9/11, 04:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
super6stang and 2010mustangGT-

are these V6/V8, and auto or manual?

just curious, they used to do a lot of cnc bar/tube stuff at work, they ran input shafts/turbine shafts/output shafts/slipyokes/double-cardan ujoints for the gm transmissions for years...they were all steel/machined, splines were roll formed, etc...anyway, nothing cast except slipyokes and ujoint yokes...just curious if *maybe* theyve gone to powdered metal or cast now on input shafts...
Details in my sig. but 2010 GT. AUTO. with bolt ons.