Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Horn chirp setting for keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/14, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn chirp setting for keyless entry

I've searched through all of the forums here and elsewhere online and can't seem to find the answer to this. I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I recently had body repairs done on my 2012 Mustang V6 and now the horn chirps every time I lock or unlock my doors (on the first press). Prior to taking the car in, the horn only chirped if you pressed the remote twice. Does anyone know how to change this setting? The shop didn't know and I don't want my horn to chirp every time I lock or unlock the doors.
Old 11/30/14, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In the olden days (around 2006) the User's Manual had instructions for making adjustments to the chirps, including eliminating them completely. I don't recall the two-press feature at that time. If you were to go to the Ford site and look at some old manuals, you might find them, and they might actually work on a more modern car. Ford site. Look at the Vehicle Basics dropdown.

For my 2014 I had a little trouble programming an extra key I bought, but Procedure A on the KEYFOBPROGRAM site allowed me to get it done (you can close the door after pushing the Unlock button on the door and inserting the key). You have to have two programmed fobs to make it work.

In your position, I would first try the universal Mustang electronic and electric remedy: disconnect the battery negative cable and let the car sit for a few minutes. You may lose your programmed radio buttons, but everything else will be pretty much reset to original. That may be what happened when your auto-body folks worked on your car. It may be a bit of a bother to reset your radio, and it may take a while for your car to relearn its idle settings (see the Owner's Manual) but it's cheap and relatively easy.

If that doesn't eliminate your concern <--- Service Advisor talk) --- I'd get my two programmed keys and do Procedure B (fewer key-twists required); if not successful, try Procedure A (the one that worked for me).

What A and B do is to re-code (security) the first key and match the subsequent ones to the first one both in code and in program (actions).

There must be a reason the Ford people left out the arcane Procedures A and B out of the more modern Manuals, but the fact that an old procedure no longer in the book worked on my more modern car gives me hope that more old procedures, like those modifying the chirp routine, that were in the older manuals will still work on the newer cars. I do remember eliminating the chirp on my 2006 car, and that the procedure involved the unlikely use of the door-lock button (on the door, not the fob), just as the Procedure A instructions required.

If the problem you are experiencing lies anywhere other than fob-programming, I'm afraid you'll have to go to the dealer for help.

Good luck.
Old 11/30/14, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After re-reading the original complaint and a couple of the Owners Manuals, I've another guess: the body-shop might have disturbed some of the closure sensors and disrupted one or another circuit. I'd ask them to check all the wiring is properly connected and that all grounds are firmly connected.

It might be that the chirps are the car's attempts to communicate an attempt at entry while the system was armed, mistaking an incomplete circuit for a breach.

That's all if the disconnect/reconnect doesn't clear the 'concern'.
Old 12/2/14, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank, thank you so much for the thoughtful and thorough response. I'm currently out of town but will try your original recommendations first and if they don't work, will bring back into the body shop for them to look at the alarm wiring. The body work was on the passenger side door so it seems like a good guess that the wiring may not have been reconnected correctly.