Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Help V6

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/13, 07:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Help V6

2011 V6 auto.
Car gets driven 3 days a week on average and is parked in a garage when not driven.

Scenario: I turn the engine on and put the car in reverse. Nothing happens.
I put it back into park, restart the engine and the car will reverse fine.

This happens occasionally and no the parking brake is not on! Lol

Should I be concerned? I'm approaching warranty end in 3k.
Old 6/27/13, 07:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I certainly would be. What you described is not normal behavior and I would get it into the dealer. Recognize that they will probably need to have it there for a while so they can duplicate the problem.
Old 6/27/13, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by tukatz
I certainly would be. What you described is not normal behavior and I would get it into the dealer. Recognize that they will probably need to have it there for a while so they can duplicate the problem.
Thanks. Any ideas? I thought maybe I was throwing it into reverse too quickly...

This problem only occurs when the car sits for a long period of time. I haven't been driving much these days because I started working from home.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 6/27/13 at 07:52 PM.
Old 7/1/13, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Thanks. Any ideas? I thought maybe I was throwing it into reverse too quickly...

This problem only occurs when the car sits for a long period of time. I haven't been driving much these days because I started working from home.
Do you have backup sensors as an option?
Old 7/1/13, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As with the manuals, the shifter merely controls a cable to shift the gearing on the transmission. I have experienced but not able to duplicate this on my wife's Ford Fiesta. That's where I would start looking.
Old 7/1/13, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Will it go forward right away? back into the garage next time. And yes I would have it checked out too. just to be clear after sitting a few days you start it put it in reverse and no matter how long you sit there with it in reverse it will not move?
Old 7/1/13, 12:21 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2011 V6 auto.
Car gets driven 3 days a week on average and is parked in a garage when not driven.

Scenario: I turn the engine on and put the car in reverse. Nothing happens.
I put it back into park, restart the engine and the car will reverse fine.
This happens occasionally and no the parking brake is not on! Lol

Should I be concerned? I'm approaching warranty end in 3k.
Hello Getportfolio,

I agree with the other members. You should bring it in and have your dealer check it out. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 7/2/13, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Will it go forward right away? back into the garage next time. And yes I would have it checked out too. just to be clear after sitting a few days you start it put it in reverse and no matter how long you sit there with it in reverse it will not move?
I've been trying to replicate the problem but haven't had much luck. The times it has done this is when I pop the shifter into reverse immediately after crank. Once it does this it won't reverse for anything. I put it back into park, restart and then it's fine.

It happens about 25 percent of the time.

Never had issues with forward.. Parked on the street to test it out.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 7/2/13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 7/2/13, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ArtU

Do you have backup sensors as an option?
No sensors.
Old 7/2/13, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello Getportfolio,

I agree with the other members. You should bring it in and have your dealer check it out. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Uggh I spoke too soon. It did it again. I'll be taking it in after the 4th. I'll keep this thread posted.

Deysha,
Question: If Ford advises me to "just keep an eye on it" , doesn't perform any repairs, and something happens down the line after 36k even when I brought it in early, will it be covered?

I'm within 3k of my warranty exactly.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 7/2/13 at 03:23 PM.
Old 7/3/13, 07:05 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Uggh I spoke too soon. It did it again. I'll be taking it in after the 4th. I'll keep this thread posted.

Deysha,
Question: If Ford advises me to "just keep an eye on it" , doesn't perform any repairs, and something happens down the line after 36k even when I brought it in early, will it be covered?

I'm within 3k of my warranty exactly.
It all depends on the parts needed for the repair, Getportfolio. This is why I recommend you bring it in as soon as possible and keep me posted.

Deysha