Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gear griding problems

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/12 | 10:37 PM

Gear griding problems

Been reading and looking on youtube about people having problems with the gears on the 2011+ mustangs. I havent expirienced any problems yet. Im wondering has anyone expirienced this problem yet?
Old 3/12/12 | 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I did - it was fixed with a TSB for fluid - also the clutch action is much smoother.
Old 3/12/12 | 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kinyodas
I did - it was fixed with a TSB for fluid - also the clutch action is much smoother.
So theres no clutch problems with the cars anymore?
Old 3/13/12 | 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by chipsboy
I had the same issue and the TSB resolved the grinding during cold weather but it was still a little hard at times getting into first when the car is cold and you can still feel the hesitation going into second at times.

The shifting got dramatically better once I installed a better shifter bracket under the car. Many people have installed the MGW shifter and said that it shifts so much better even eliminates the issue completely. My plans are to get a short throw shifter and change the fluid to Redline MTL or equivalent because there has been success with those as well. Personally I think that the Transmission is excellent despite the problems I've had. It seems to be an issue that only happens when the car first starts up. After its warmed up it shifts awesome!
Old 3/13/12 | 08:12 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Been reading and looking on youtube about people having problems with the gears on the 2011+ mustangs. I havent expirienced any problems yet. Im wondering has anyone expirienced this problem yet?
If you are not having any problems with yours, don't even worry about it. The few that have had problems put it all over the net making it seem like a widespread problem.
Old 3/13/12 | 10:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I can't believe this is actually a thread.
Old 3/13/12 | 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well believe it or not this was actually a problem for some people. Not everyone took it to the hills crying about it. I took my car in and it was verified by the dealership. Now it seems that anytime anyone claims to have had the issue they are branded as the "boy who cried wolf" so to speak. If your car didn't have an issue, good for you. Mine did, and it's been handled. Its not your problem so don't worry about it. No use in getting your feelings hurt for something that isn't your problem. It was very real for a few folks that paid $30000 plus dollars for an automobile and wanted it to be right.

I heard a few folks "cry" about the owners complaining about this issue bringing the resale value of the cars down. Guess what genius, no car has good resale value, they all depreciate. I own a Mustang because I love Mustangs. It has nothing to do with what I will get for it when I sell it. I've kept quiet too long and read too many threads where other owners try to minimize a very real issue that is documented. All under the guise of protecting their precious cars name and resale value. All cars have issues, not just ours. Thankfully this one has a solution in place. Now I will get off this soap box and if you're offended by what I'm saying then so be it. I won't apologize because it's the truth.

The OP asked a very real question that deserved a very real answer and not criticism about whether the issue is "real" or not. Either your car shifts perfect, or it doesn't. And if you own an automatic or don't even have a 2011+ Mustang then all you offer is your opinion. And we all know how opinions work.....

To the OP, if your car is shifting perfect then great. I wouldn't worry about it. If it isn't then take to your dealership and get it seen about. There are even Ford Reps (Deysha) on this site to help you.
Old 3/13/12 | 03:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Welcome to the forum - search "transmission" in titles-only and you'll find more discussion than you'll ever want to read. It's been summed up well by others but, again, it was a problem with a low percentage of cars but blown up into a big deal thanks to a vocal minority. Ford's addressed it and most everyone is now happy. Don't worry about it and if you want some extra peace of mind, buy an extended powertrain warranty. Cost me $500 to extend mine from 5/60,000 to 7/100,000. Cheap insurance, IMO.
Old 3/13/12 | 07:09 PM

Ok ty for the info. I was just a bit worried when i read it online. So far my car is running like a champ. So i guess i wont worry about it
Old 3/14/12 | 09:45 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by RobDis
There are even Ford Reps (Deysha) on this site to help you.
Welcome to the forum, chipsboy!! Like RobDis mentioned, I'm here if you need help. Now, go continue to enjoy your ride!

Deysha
Old 3/15/12 | 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Clutch? Not for me anymore. The shifting tends to get notchy when it gets cold down here around 40 degrees, but it's 80+ today and the yearly average is 72 so I'm good.