Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Gauge went from quater full to dead empty with 5 miles left?

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/11, 12:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gauge went from quater full to dead empty with 5 miles left?

So the other night I was sitting in my car, with the car on, talking to some of my friends. I look at the odometer to check how many miles I have on the car then I see it saying that I have 57 miles to empty (Which is wierd because it usually starts with 50). Anyway, I didnt think anything of it because it was around a quater full which is uaually when I get the chime to fill up (It didnt chime this time tho). Then 10 mins later I hear the chime so I look at my cluster and the fuel gauge is light up red the needle is dead bottom and it says I only have 3 miles till empty. I shut the car off then turned it back on about another 10 mins later and it says 5 miles left this time.

So I went to the gas station to fill up. I turned the car off but kept the battery on to see what the gauge would do. Sure enough, it jumped from dead bottom back up to a quater full. Usually it cost me in the 40's to fill up but this time it was $37. I heard this problem with the sensor on one side of the fuel tank going bad but wouldnt that make it drop at half empty and not at a quater? And if it just went bad at that very moment shouldnt it have jumped up to half full when I filled up and not back to a quater?

Has this happened to anyone else? Im a bit confused about this. And luckly I was close by a gas station at the time too. It ruined my night because I was gonna hang out with some sexy girls lol, not to mention the gas station attendant spilt gas all over the side of my car (NJ laws so I cant fill up myself). So I had to wash down around the gas cap at 3 in the morning. Im gonna run it to quater empty again and see what happens. Hopefully it wont happen again.

I really dont want to go to the dealership just yet but if it happens again I will. I have a few other problems ill have them check out while its there anyway. I was dumb and forgot check how many gallons it took to fill up too.
Old 11/21/11, 05:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search is your friend.

This is a known issue and ford issued a TSB for it a while ago.
Old 11/21/11, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

This is an ongoing issue with my car. I had this problem right after I got it delivered and there turned out that there is a TSB on the problem. A batch of fuel pumps were defective in that only one side was picking up fuel from one side of the saddle tank. The problem comes from the "computer" comparing fuel from the left and right sensor and eventually when there comes such a wide imbalance of fuel it thinks the tank is infact empty.

I had the pump replaced. This didn't solve it. Then had the level senders and fuel pump changed again to fix the problem, which I thought it did until driving late through SC it went from just over 1/4 to empty with 0 fuel remaining!!

On my return home the dealer after talking to Ford Tech decided that they should replace the whole instrument cluster as this has shown to be a problem on a few SHO's. Cluster changed and again thought problem fixed, but no it started to do the same thing again last week, so it's back to the dealers when I get home from my trip.

The problem is although it will take only about 8 gallons from the 0 no fuel warning you have no guarantee that you can draw fuel from the effected half of the saddle tank. Go get it looked at especially as there is a TSB and you won't be out of pocket.

Last edited by MustangGTPilot; 11/21/11 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11/21/11, 10:31 AM
GT Member

Ill be sending it in ASAP. I knew there was a tsb out for it but I thought it only happened at the half full mark. So I hoped this was just a fluke or something.. **** that its not.
Old 11/21/11, 11:11 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSB 10-19-03 is the one you're looking for.
Old 11/21/11, 11:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Good luck getting it fixed. Hope it all works out.
Old 11/23/11, 11:28 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Karnage541
So the other night I was sitting in my car, with the car on, talking to some of my friends. I look at the odometer to check how many miles I have on the car then I see it saying that I have 57 miles to empty (Which is wierd because it usually starts with 50). Anyway, I didnt think anything of it because it was around a quater full which is uaually when I get the chime to fill up (It didnt chime this time tho). Then 10 mins later I hear the chime so I look at my cluster and the fuel gauge is light up red the needle is dead bottom and it says I only have 3 miles till empty. I shut the car off then turned it back on about another 10 mins later and it says 5 miles left this time.
Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
This is an ongoing issue with my car. I had this problem right after I got it delivered and there turned out that there is a TSB on the problem.
Hey guys,

I’d like to get this escalated for you. Karnage541, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, both you and MustangGTPilot, PM me with your VINs, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 11/23/11, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey guys,

I’d like to get this escalated for you. Karnage541, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, both you and MustangGTPilot, PM me with your VINs, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha I will do next week when I get back from work overseas.
Old 11/27/11, 05:20 AM

I've noticed that mine will go from 1/4 to empty rather quick, then when it has the fuel light on i will go to fill up and it will take about 12 gal, its a 16 gallon tank so i figure something isn't quite right. it should take at least 14 you'd think

anyway if you hold setup and reset when you start your car, you will go into "engineering mode" which will let you look at what a few sensors are seeing as well as other things. use setup to scroll through the options, the fuel sensors are in there. I noticed one of mine is always reading much higher than the other.

just curious if yours is the same way or not, but that might be something you show the service writer and mechanic when you go in so they have a better idea of whats going on
Old 11/27/11, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by atistang
I've noticed that mine will go from 1/4 to empty rather quick, then when it has the fuel light on i will go to fill up and it will take about 12 gal, its a 16 gallon tank so i figure something isn't quite right. it should take at least 14 you'd think

anyway if you hold setup and reset when you start your car, you will go into "engineering mode" which will let you look at what a few sensors are seeing as well as other things. use setup to scroll through the options, the fuel sensors are in there. I noticed one of mine is always reading much higher than the other.

just curious if yours is the same way or not, but that might be something you show the service writer and mechanic when you go in so they have a better idea of whats going on
Maybe you should take yours in too?
Old 11/27/11, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Maybe you should take yours in too?
i'm only on my second tank and the dealer had to put a new battery in before i drove the car, so i'm gonna wait and see how it plays out in the spring. i might be taking it in for a trans whine also
Old 11/27/11, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

i'm only on my second tank and the dealer had to put a new battery in before i drove the car, so i'm gonna wait and see how it plays out in the spring. i might be taking it in for a trans whine also
Change the fluid in your tranny before taking it in and drive on it for a couple hundred and see if it goes away.
Old 11/27/11, 09:02 AM

Change the fluid in your tranny before taking it in and drive on it for a couple hundred and see if it goes away.
thought about it, but i dont want to give them any reasons to try and get out of a warranty repair
Old 11/27/11, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

thought about it, but i dont want to give them any reasons to try and get out of a warranty repair

Valid point. I'm just not a fan of stealerships. Whenever you decide to take it in, make sure and have them check the flywheel bolts and make sure they're all tight.
Old 11/27/11, 08:41 PM

Valid point. I'm just not a fan of stealerships. Whenever you decide to take it in, make sure and have them check the flywheel bolts and make sure they're all tight.
i figure i'll print any tsb that has to do with the transmission and clutch and tell them if they pull the trans then perform the flywheel tsb
Old 11/28/11, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
Thanks Deysha I will do next week when I get back from work overseas.
Ok, no problem! Be safe!

atistang, PM me when you make your appointment with your Ford dealer so I can get this escalated for you.

Deysha
Old 11/28/11, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Ok, no problem! Be safe!

atistang, PM me when you make your appointment with your Ford dealer so I can get this escalated for you.

Deysha
will do, it'll be sometime next spring, probably late spring
Old 11/28/11, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Well I let the tank run down to a quater empty again and seems like everything is fine. I had horrible gas mileage on the last tank of gas (132 when it said to fill up) and this time I was at 187 which is what it normally is before the 50 miles to empty thing chimes on. So seems like a fluke or something. Ill keep an eye on it but for now ill stay away from the dealership. Hate taking my car to those places.
Old 11/29/11, 06:56 AM

will do, it'll be sometime next spring, probably late spring
Cool, no problem. Just keep me posted.

Deysha