Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Front Suspension Groaning

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/13, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same problem on my GT.Took it to 2 different dealerships 4 times.They changed out the sway bar links and tightened everything up.Tried convincing me it was normal because they had a used car on their lot that they claim made the same noise.They seriously expected me to believe a car with 32,000 miles just sounds that way.Babbitt Ford in Flagstaff and Berge Ford in Mesa,i will never visit those dealerships again if i ever do buy another Ford.Love my car but being the price i paid for a GT premium you would think it would hold up better.Hopefully when i start modding the suspension i'll figure it out.Completely stock as it sits.Niceto see the OP got his fixed.
Old 5/8/13, 05:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RezGT
Had the same problem on my GT.Took it to 2 different dealerships 4 times.They changed out the sway bar links and tightened everything up.Tried convincing me it was normal because they had a used car on their lot that they claim made the same noise.They seriously expected me to believe a car with 32,000 miles just sounds that way.Babbitt Ford in Flagstaff and Berge Ford in Mesa,i will never visit those dealerships again if i ever do buy another Ford.Love my car but being the price i paid for a GT premium you would think it would hold up better.Hopefully when i start modding the suspension i'll figure it out.Completely stock as it sits.Niceto see the OP got his fixed.
Yeah, I am hopeful that the same thing does not happen to me... Just curious, when you had the dealerships work on your car, did they do TSB work and replace the lower front control Arms? The reason I ask is because you mentioned they "changed out the sway bar links and tightened everything up". My issue appeared to be related to the control arms (so far).
Old 5/9/13, 11:34 AM

Nope.There was no mention of any lower control arms and now my bumper to bumper is expired.Said they even tested the struts but never took them off the car?Service manager at Berge Ford tried hard to conivince me that that's just how they were with the 19" optional wheels.LOL.Even tho the other car that was making the noise was on 17's.Go figure.Even tried getting them to fix or grease my driver side seatbelt because it wouldn't retract without a few tugs.No dice.That's how they are supposedly.Berge Ford has got to be the worst service dealership.
Old 5/9/13, 11:50 AM

The only TSB work they did was with the sway bar links or bushings.No mention what so ever about control arms.I was surprised they had 3 GT500's,2 Boss 302's and one Boss 302 LS.Boss car's had 8k markup and 500's were at msrp.This was last summer
Old 5/10/13, 08:30 AM
V6 Member

So after a week since the 2 front lower control arms (LCAs) were installed, the car is now making some noise again (weather has really warmed up). It's gotta be the LCA bushings creaking when the rubber heats up. I do not plan on taking it back to the dealer. I think the Ford techs really just replaced the LCAs with the same model number LCAs. I have no choice but to live with the noise or get rid of the car. Disappointed, but not upset at the dealer that serviced the car. It's a poor design of parts that Ford uses.
Old 5/10/13, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Pony-Ride
So after a week since the 2 front lower control arms (LCAs) were installed, the car is now making some noise again (weather has really warmed up). It's gotta be the LCA bushings creaking when the rubber heats up. I do not plan on taking it back to the dealer. I think the Ford techs really just replaced the LCAs with the same model number LCAs. I have no choice but to live with the noise or get rid of the car. Disappointed, but not upset at the dealer that serviced the car. It's a poor design of parts that Ford uses.
Only thing to check is if the ones they installed were the latest version, since they've updated that part 3 or 4 times, I think.
Old 5/10/13, 09:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Only thing to check is if the ones they installed were the latest version, since they've updated that part 3 or 4 times, I think.
Yeah.... you would think since my car was manufactured in 2012, it would already have had the newer version of the LCAs
Old 5/10/13, 09:02 AM
V6 Member

Yeah.... you would think since my car was manufactured in 2012, it would already have had the newer version of the LCAs
they told me it was the newer version "C" model.
Old 5/10/13, 09:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Let me get this escalated for you as well, RezGT. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 5/12/13, 06:43 AM
V6 Member

I thought the noise was fixed when they replaced the LCAs, but the weather this week was unseasonably cool and I did not drive much. Well all, the groaning/clunking noise is back. Nothing Ford did to fix the noise by replacing control arms worked! I really believe the LCA work they did was pointless especially since the car is a MY2013. To top it off, the Ford dealer's senior technician tells me he's replaced multiple sets of the same LCAs on the same customer's car and for me to probably expect that to happen to my car. This is not very comforting or encouraging. I told the dealer and mechanics the clunking noise acts up when the car is warmed up and the under carriage is hot. When the technicians drove in the car with me they heard it too. Both said the noise is the LCA's, but they weren't 100% sure either. The first technician said everything was tight (Springs, shocks, shock mounts all checked and torqued to specs). Sway bars and other components all ok. Bottom line, after the car sits for a good length of time, or is first driven in the morning, there is no noise. As the day warms up, or when the car is driven any length of time, driving slow over any bump produces the MOST ANNOYING GROWNING/CLUNKING NOISE (and is even more pronounced with more than one passenger in the car). I'm completely at a loss and considering trading it in for another non-Ford vehicle.
Old 5/13/13, 06:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I thought the noise was fixed when they replaced the LCAs, but the weather this week was unseasonably cool and I did not drive much. Well all, the groaning/clunking noise is back. Nothing Ford did to fix the noise by replacing control arms worked! I really believe the LCA work they did was pointless especially since the car is a MY2013. To top it off, the Ford dealer's senior technician tells me he's replaced multiple sets of the same LCAs on the same customer's car and for me to probably expect that to happen to my car. This is not very comforting or encouraging. I told the dealer and mechanics the clunking noise acts up when the car is warmed up and the under carriage is hot. When the technicians drove in the car with me they heard it too. Both said the noise is the LCA's, but they weren't 100% sure either. The first technician said everything was tight (Springs, shocks, shock mounts all checked and torqued to specs). Sway bars and other components all ok. Bottom line, after the car sits for a good length of time, or is first driven in the morning, there is no noise. As the day warms up, or when the car is driven any length of time, driving slow over any bump produces the MOST ANNOYING GROWNING/CLUNKING NOISE (and is even more pronounced with more than one passenger in the car). I'm completely at a loss and considering trading it in for another non-Ford vehicle.
As frustrated as you are, finding every post about LCA's and posting the same or a similar message isn't going to get your problem fixed any faster. Get with Deysha and/or talk to the service manager and go through this stuff with him. Make sure he understands that Ford has gone through multiple iterations of that part number trying to fix it. And with that stuff, hopefully they'll help figure it out. But posting here over and over isn't going to do it.
Old 5/13/13, 07:13 AM
V6 Member

As frustrated as you are, finding every post about LCA's and posting the same or a similar message isn't going to get your problem fixed any faster. Get with Deysha and/or talk to the service manager and go through this stuff with him. Make sure he understands that Ford has gone through multiple iterations of that part number trying to fix it. And with that stuff, hopefully they'll help figure it out. But posting here over and over isn't going to do it.
Thank you for the suggestions... I also considered everything you said before I ever posted once about this issue. My goal is not about me...I have given up completely on Ford fixing the issue. Once they replaced good parts with another set of parts that did nothing to fix the issue, I don't let them touch my car! I post in multiple places to let others know about the issue in case they have the same issue, not for my own benefit.

1) Deysha did nothing except take my information and have a low level Ford customer service rep named "Autumn" call me to see how things went at my dealer. Neither ladies had the GM from the dealer, or any regional manager contact me after my LCAs were replaced and the same issue arose. Autumn called me over a week ago right after the LCAs were replaced. We agreed to discuss the issue once the weather heated up and I drove the car to see if the issue returned. When she followed up and called me last Friday in the agreed-upon date, I was very frustrated with the noise returning and told her so. She had no other Ford management call me back to help, so I politely asked her to not call me further.

2) Again, posting in multiple places provides awareness to others who may also be frustrated with similar problems. Others may not see this post, but may see it in another post, which may help them.

3) If this issue does not affect your car, you are a very lucky man. If I were to write here everything I tried to have done to my new 2013 car to try resolve this issue, it would be way to long for me to write.
Old 5/13/13, 02:22 PM

Sorry to hear about that.I'm sure with multiple complaints they would have figured it out by now.I just rolled over my 60,000 mile power train warranty yesterday.Guess figuring out this problem has become all mine.I don't think I'll be spending any money at the dealership to fix a problem that shouldn't be an issue.Thanks for the offer Deysha but I've given them enough of my time with nothing to show for it except a headache and getting the run around.
Old 5/13/13, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thank you for the suggestions... I also considered everything you said before I ever posted once about this issue. My goal is not about me...I have given up completely on Ford fixing the issue. Once they replaced good parts with another set of parts that did nothing to fix the issue, I don't let them touch my car! I post in multiple places to let others know about the issue in case they have the same issue, not for my own benefit.

1) Deysha did nothing except take my information and have a low level Ford customer service rep named "Autumn" call me to see how things went at my dealer. Neither ladies had the GM from the dealer, or any regional manager contact me after my LCAs were replaced and the same issue arose. Autumn called me over a week ago right after the LCAs were replaced. We agreed to discuss the issue once the weather heated up and I drove the car to see if the issue returned. When she followed up and called me last Friday in the agreed-upon date, I was very frustrated with the noise returning and told her so. She had no other Ford management call me back to help, so I politely asked her to not call me further.

2) Again, posting in multiple places provides awareness to others who may also be frustrated with similar problems. Others may not see this post, but may see it in another post, which may help them.

3) If this issue does not affect your car, you are a very lucky man. If I were to write here everything I tried to have done to my new 2013 car to try resolve this issue, it would be way to long for me to write.
I'd be frustrated too. Have you gone to your dealer's service manager, general manager, owner? Have you tried another dealer?

I have occasional squeaking from the front too, though I've never really tried to have my dealer diagnose it, as it's not that bad and I'm out of bumper to bumper warranty. It definitely sounds like this is a product fault Ford hasn't figured out; it's just bizarre that more cars aren't affected.
Old 5/13/13, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

I'd be frustrated too. Have you gone to your dealer's service manager, general manager, owner? Have you tried another dealer?

I have occasional squeaking from the front too, though I've never really tried to have my dealer diagnose it, as it's not that bad and I'm out of bumper to bumper warranty. It definitely sounds like this is a product fault Ford hasn't figured out; it's just bizarre that more cars aren't affected.
honesty am very tired of the battle. Ford Customer service not helping and the SA and GM at the dealer really has no clue what to do when I was there.
Old 5/14/13, 04:51 PM
GT Member

honesty am very tired of the battle. Ford Customer service not helping and the SA and GM at the dealer really has no clue what to do when I was there.
This is why I was lead to sue Ford. Truth is, Ford's customer service is a joke and their dealerships can only do what they're told. Quality and reputation have gone way down when it comes to Ford.
Old 5/14/13, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an appointment with my dealer two days from now. My 6 week old 2013 GT with just over 1700 miles on it, moans and groans when I go over a speed bump. No matter how slow. Very embarrassing !
I hope my dealer knows how to fix it. I am not a happy!
Old 5/15/13, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Plim
I have an appointment with my dealer two days from now. My 6 week old 2013 GT with just over 1700 miles on it, moans and groans when I go over a speed bump. No matter how slow. Very embarrassing !
They will replace the front lca's over and over again until your out of warranty. The lca's they put in last about 6 months until they start making noise again. Some even sooner.
Old 5/15/13, 11:35 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.I'm sure with multiple complaints they would have figured it out by now.I just rolled over my 60,000 mile power train warranty yesterday.Guess figuring out this problem has become all mine.I don't think I'll be spending any money at the dealership to fix a problem that shouldn't be an issue.Thanks for the offer Deysha but I've given them enough of my time with nothing to show for it except a headache and getting the run around.
I understand where you’re coming from, RezGT. I would still like to get this documented, if you’d like.

Originally Posted by Plim
Welcome to the forum, Plim! I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager of your area, as well. Please, make an appointment to have it checked out.

Then, both of you please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 5/15/13, 01:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03

They will replace the front lca's over and over again until your out of warranty. The lca's they put in last about 6 months until they start making noise again. Some even sooner.
6 months if you're lucky..

Deysha can't do anything in regards to solving this, believe me.. Been there, done that, over and over. The fact is Ford failed when engineering our cars and for some reason they've also failed to fix it. Sue them and make some money like I did. Lemon law and magnus loss warranty act.

Or start a class action lawsuit and scare Ford into fixing the problems.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Groaning