Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Front Suspension Groaning

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/13, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Front Suspension Groaning

I just put my car in the shop for the third time for the front suspension groaning every time I go over a speed bump. I'm tired of living with this noise! The first time they couldn't duplicate....BS!!! The second time I took the Service Manager for a ride and duplicated the noise. The solution to this was they lubed it up and blamed the front sway bar. I'm trying a new dealer this time to take care of this. I hope it works this time.
Old 5/2/13, 07:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Unfortunately that seems to be a fairly common deal with our cars. It's probably the lower control arms which lots of others have had problems with, as evidenced by Ford updating that part 3-4 times since it was released, if I remember right. Pretty sure I have the same problem but I'm out of warranty and it's not dangerous so I haven't gone in and spent the hundreds of dollars to get it right.
Old 5/2/13, 09:44 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uh oh! I just dropped off my car to the dealer. for the same thing. I also posted here this morning in another thread on the same issue. I sure don't want them replacing anything if it does not fix anything.
Old 5/2/13, 01:38 PM
V6 Member

SA called me to say they want to replace both front control arms (CAs) under TSB and do alignment. Before they started the work, I stopped by the dealer and took a test drive with the mechanic who is suppose to install the new CAs tomorrow. We both heard the noises that I heard, but he could not really admit if replacing the control arms would do the trick. Frankly, at that point I decided I did not want them replacing anything now. He also said that lowering springs do impact the center of gravity, which at slow speeds over bumps may cause the noticeable groaning and creaking. Since I have the Brembo package, my OEM suspension may be s somewhat different and tighter (albeit minimal) from the base GT. Therefore, I asked him to simply check and tighten all lower components such as front and rear sway bars, control arms etc... He then checked everything, but everything was tight as it should. He even re-torqued my panhard bar for me. I then asked for a VERY seasoned mechanic, who has replaced many CAs to take a ride with me. The dealer provided a tech named "Vinnie". Vinnie road with me, and at first we did not hear anything. Then we heard the noises again. He initially said it did not sound like the CA TSB noise issue, but then changed his mind as we drove some more and felt it could be the CA bushings creaking. He did say that my Steeda Springs are lined p correctly and he does not feel it has anything to do with the springs. So, as it turned out, I will be having the CAs done on both sides tomorrow and the alignment. Vinnie did say that he's had to even replace the new TSB CAs several times in the same customer's car. That information was not something I wanted to know. However, he did feel at least it's a start to find the issue, and at the very least I'd have the newer CAs on the fronts. I asked him why they do not put the TSB CAs in all newer 2011-2104 Mustangs. Unfortunately, he did not know why Ford still chooses to use the same defective ones. I pray it works out!

Last edited by Pony-Ride; 5/2/13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 5/2/13, 11:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I now have the C series LCA's on my car. When I dropped it off I asked to see any parts they removed from my car. The old B series LCA's they took off looked like the bushings had dry rotted, were deformed and were not doing their job. My car feels tight again like it should. This made a big difference in my cars handling. If these bushings wear out again that soon I'm going to buy some aftermarket bushings and have them installed. Time will tell.....
Old 5/3/13, 05:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
Well, I now have the C series LCA's on my car. When I dropped it off I asked to see any parts they removed from my car. The old B series LCA's they took off looked like the bushings had dry rotted, were deformed and were not doing their job. My car feels tight again like it should. This made a big difference in my cars handling. If these bushings wear out again that soon I'm going to buy some aftermarket bushings and have them installed. Time will tell.....
They will wear again. I have had my LCAs replaced four times now with three different revisions (A, B and Cx2). Most recently, I had the C revision replaced with another C because the bushings were shot. I'm getting kind of fed up with Ford.
Old 5/3/13, 06:11 AM
V6 Member

Wow. I hear ya loud and clear. The Ford tech yesterday told me he's replaced them in the same customer cars several times in a row. Sio I guess it's either I keep the car and put up with terrible quality control, which in my experience with my previous Ford cars is to expected, or sell it. If the '13 Stang didn't fit my kids in the back seat better than the Camaro does, I would have bought the Camaro SS. Oh we'll, the new 'C' version front CA's are going on the car today. ....will update you all later on.
Old 5/3/13, 12:10 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I just put my car in the shop for the third time for the front suspension groaning every time I go over a speed bump. I'm tired of living with this noise! The first time they couldn't duplicate....BS!!! The second time I took the Service Manager for a ride and duplicated the noise. The solution to this was they lubed it up and blamed the front sway bar. I'm trying a new dealer this time to take care of this. I hope it works this time.
Hey Trumpetlon,

I recommend you bring this up to your dealer and make an appointment. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated for you.

Deysha
Old 5/3/13, 12:14 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what dealer are you using???
Old 5/3/13, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey Trumpetlon,

I recommend you bring this up to your dealer and make an appointment. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated for you.

Deysha
Deysha, Did u contact my dealer that has my car today and yesterday? They still have it. I sent you two PMs. Thanks?
Old 5/3/13, 03:26 PM
V6 Member

I picked up my car. They replaced the control arms and performed alignment. Because it's raining very hard outside, I can not confirm if this work fixed it. Will test it tomorrow.
Old 5/3/13, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had mine replaced yesterday but I don't think I'll be lowering her this year.
Old 5/3/13, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey Trumpetlon,

Deysha
Thanks Deysha but the new dealer took care of me and I have no complaints at all!

Originally Posted by Flagstang
what dealer are you using???
First dealer was Peoria Ford and they can kiss my butt!!! Second dealer is Sanderson Ford in Glendale and they took care of me. My front suspension feels wonderful again, well controlled and quiet! They updated my SYNC also so my phone works again like it used to. I'll go back to Sanderson Ford for my service needs from now on.
Old 5/3/13, 09:39 PM
V6 Member

What sync version do u have,
Old 5/4/13, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pony-Ride
What sync version do u have,
TSB 12-8-19 upgrades to version 3.1.4.
Old 5/4/13, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

thanks. I nee to find out what version I have.
Old 5/5/13, 04:18 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Deysha but the new dealer took care of me and I have no complaints at all!

First dealer was Peoria Ford and they can kiss my butt!!! Second dealer is Sanderson Ford in Glendale and they took care of me. My front suspension feels wonderful again, well controlled and quiet! They updated my SYNC also so my phone works again like it used to. I'll go back to Sanderson Ford for my service needs from now on.
Peoria Ford sucks.. so does camel back ford.

I use bell ford.
Old 5/6/13, 09:35 AM

Deysha, Did u contact my dealer that has my car today and yesterday? They still have it. I sent you two PMs. Thanks?
The CSM should contact you today, Pony-Ride.

That's great to know, Trumpleton! I'm here if you ever need me.

Deysha
Old 5/6/13, 06:45 PM
V6 Member

thanks Deysha.
Old 5/7/13, 10:17 AM

thanks Deysha.
You're very welcome!

Deysha

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Groaning