Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fords starting our new relationship off on a bad foot

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/13, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fords starting our new relationship off on a bad foot

Hey everyone, names Brad. I'm from the toronto area, also a new member, a recent forum scanner, and a potentially new owner of a deep impact blue v6 scheduled to arrive late august(may back out now!)

So back to my subject, I found out today that ford will not allow ANY aftermarket parts on my car (springs, intake to name a few i mentioned to them) without 100% voiding my warranty!! they also havent gotten back to me on the exhaust yet but im assuming its the same deal. Which is now the opposite of what they told me when I bought it. Actually how it went for the most part:
me- are you guys cool with mods?
salesman- what like an intake?
me- yes, among other things. What about exhausts?
salesman- no catbacks, but axle-backs are allowed. And no bama tunes

Now from what I see, nearly every person I see with one has intakes, exhausts, some are lowered, some are slammed. Yet they all seem to have warranties. I know some people have to be sneaky and reset some things to stock when they take it in for service, but i cant see ford making everyone keep em stock for warranty purposes.

You dont buy a mustang to not do anything to it..

So basically what im trying to figure out is what others have done to their cars that were allowed under warranty. Or if ford is just being a dick to me and effin me around.

Anything would be of great help!

Thanks
Old 7/2/13, 09:36 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
That has nothing to do with Ford. That's your dealership. Just take it to a different dealership. No one can void your warranty for modifying your car. But if you tune it and the engine blows, you're gonna be **** out of luck. However, if you add an exhaust and your rear end eats it, then that has nothing to do with the exhaust.

What I'm trying to say is...If you change something, don't expect it to be covered if you have any issues after. But if the issue has nothing to do with the mod, then they can't just void your entire warranty. Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, if you want some reading. Or just tell the dealership how stupid their logic is, if you don't want to read.
Old 7/2/13, 10:46 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
He's in Canada

Magnuson-Moss is US only
Old 7/2/13, 11:23 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
He's in Canada

Magnuson-Moss is US only
Missed that part...
Old 7/3/13, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Actually it does have a lot to do with Ford. Read your warranty papers. Modding will void your warranty if the part is proven to cause the damage... HOWEVER that is never the case. Typically they'll see a certain mod and then say it voids your warranty. In turn you'll have to spend hundreds on a lawyer to get them to budge.

This isn't always the case, but it can definitely happen. Axle backs are safe but tuning definitely isn't. You'll be hard pressed to find a manufacture that isn't the same way.
Old 7/3/13, 07:50 AM

Thanks guys, yea im jus gonna go for it. Cuz really they cant expect me to buy one of these sexy beasts and deny me the right to make it my own.
Old 7/3/13, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr0pbeatsnotb0mbs
Thanks guys, yea im jus gonna go for it. Cuz really they cant expect me to buy one of these sexy beasts and deny me the right to make it my own.
By "jus gonna go for it" you mean you're committed to paying for the damage - if any - while you keep on making payments on the loan and insurance policies. Good.
Old 7/3/13, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which dealer are you getting it from? I can suggest some other dealers for you. Message me
Old 7/4/13, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
That has nothing to do with Ford. That's your dealership. Just take it to a different dealership. No one can void your warranty for modifying your car. But if you tune it and the engine blows, you're gonna be **** out of luck. However, if you add an exhaust and your rear end eats it, then that has nothing to do with the exhaust.
FYI any Ford Dealer can void your warranty by simply noting it in Ford's computer system by your VIN number. This will appear in every Ford dealers computer so taking it to a different dealer won't help. For instance a new car that has had hail damage while it was in dealer inventory will most likely have a voided paint warranty. A dealer can void partial warranty like 'Voided Drive Train Warranty' etc. A friend of mine had a new 2012 GT, made several mods including a tune, set the tune back to stock before he took it in for poor performance warranty work with 2300 miles on it. The tune was read by the dealers OBD/Computer equipment (even the date the tune was done) so the dealer voided the Drive-train Warranty. The tune information stays in the cars on-board computer forever. The Ford Zone Rep agreed with the dealer so he has no recourse. Things like power windows, locks, radio etc where still warrantied.
Old 7/5/13, 07:31 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr0pbeatsnotb0mbs
Hey everyone, names Brad. I'm from the toronto area, also a new member, a recent forum scanner, and a potentially new owner of a deep impact blue v6 scheduled to arrive late august(may back out now!)

So back to my subject, I found out today that ford will not allow ANY aftermarket parts on my car (springs, intake to name a few i mentioned to them) without 100% voiding my warranty!! they also havent gotten back to me on the exhaust yet but im assuming its the same deal. Which is now the opposite of what they told me when I bought it. Actually how it went for the most part:
me- are you guys cool with mods?
salesman- what like an intake?
me- yes, among other things. What about exhausts?
salesman- no catbacks, but axle-backs are allowed. And no bama tunes

Now from what I see, nearly every person I see with one has intakes, exhausts, some are lowered, some are slammed. Yet they all seem to have warranties. I know some people have to be sneaky and reset some things to stock when they take it in for service, but i cant see ford making everyone keep em stock for warranty purposes.

You dont buy a mustang to not do anything to it..

So basically what im trying to figure out is what others have done to their cars that were allowed under warranty. Or if ford is just being a dick to me and effin me around.

Anything would be of great help!

Thanks
Hello Dr0pbeatsnotb0mbs,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Aftermarket parts will not void “all” of your warranties. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info. This is why I recommend speaking with your servicing dealer (service manager) before installing any aftermarket parts to your vehicle, because some of them are very strict.

Ford Racing parts come with their own warranty and if your dealer is a FRPP dealer, they will only honor those aftermarket mods. You are more than welcome to speak to another Ford dealer for a second opinion. You can locate one of our FRPP authorized dealers here. Have a great one!

Deysha