Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Ford trying to make me pay for a destroyed clutch at 2800 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/11, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford trying to make me pay for a destroyed clutch at 2800 miles

Hello to all,

I've lurked around this site for a long time, lots of great stuff here. I wish my first post wasn't about something like this but I'm getting nowhere with ford and need to vent.

I bought my 11 GT in February of this year. It has 2800 miles on it. While driving this past Sunday night, I made a routine 2-3 shift and the clutch pedal sank to the floor and stayed there. Not having such a great feeling, I didn't want to pull the car out of gear. When I had to stop at a light a couple of miles from home, I put the car in neutral, and was unable to put it back in any gear so I parked it and had it towed the next day. Since the dealer I bought it from is nowhere near here, I had it towed to another one nearby. I call there this afternoon and I am told by a service rep that I have a "destroyed clutch," and that the clutch is not warranteed and that if I called Ford customer service that they might be able to approve the repair. Called FCS and they contacted the dealer who told them that the clutch was destroyed due to driver abuse, which is complete BS, and they couldn't help me any further.

This is my eighth Mustang, six of which had a stick. There is no way in hell I burnt a clutch at 2800 miles due to "abuse."

It's really upsetting that Ford is trying to do its customers this way especially when there are known tranny and clutch issues with these cars. I love the car, but if I'm paying out of pocket to fix this, the car will sit for the winter and as soon as the weather warms up, it will be traded in for something else, and I'm done with Ford for good.

Just needed to vent, any advice is welcome.
Old 10/12/11, 04:00 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Pm Deysha your info. She is our resident Ford Angel / customer service rep. She makes miracles happen. Unless you need a track key program released.
Old 10/12/11, 04:09 PM

Should we really have to grovel to anyone? NO ! many many people have posted the same issues over and over. I wonder how sympathetic Ford would be if I was a little short this month and could only pay part of my payment. I think everyone knows the answer fix the mans car honor the warranty!
Old 10/12/11, 04:14 PM

Clutches are one of those parts usually not warrantied. But with the mileage, it should be covered. The fact that the pedal stayed to the floor makes it sound more like a master/slave issue. Hard to believe that the clutch was destroyed unless the plate completely came apart. Sounds like it could have been one of those loose clutch bolt issues.
Old 10/12/11, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
le sigh.
Old 10/12/11, 04:29 PM

From what I've read it sounds like that too. I saw a bunch of threads about this here and on other forums with people having almost the exact same issue.
Old 10/12/11, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine sinks to the floor and stays there on a HARD 2-3 shift
Old 10/12/11, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So some details:

Is the car stock?
has it had any sort of rough driving/

If you can, get some pictures of the clutch assembly and flywheel surfaces, I'd love to see what it looks like.
Old 10/12/11, 06:06 PM

The car is bone stock down to the filter. I baby this car. Never any sort of rough driving or beating on it. I'll try to get pics of it if I can.
Old 10/12/11, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get deysha involved.. she can help out..
Old 10/12/11, 08:10 PM

Sent her a PM a couple of hours ago. Hopefully will hear from her tomorrow morning...
Old 10/13/11, 01:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, was able to drive the car after letting it sit for a few hours. Took it in to the dealership and they replaced the pedal assembly. They said there was absolutely no damage to the clutch, time will tell.
Had a Vette owner tell me to replace the fluid with some good full synthetic to really fix the problem.
Old 10/13/11, 06:32 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by and1976
...Sunday night, I made a routine 2-3 shift and the clutch pedal sank to the floor and stayed there. ...I had it towed to another one nearby. I call there this afternoon and I am told by a service rep that I have a "destroyed clutch," and that the clutch is not warranteed and that if I called Ford customer service that they might be able to approve the repair. There is no way in hell I burnt a clutch at 2800 miles due to "abuse."
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Pm Deysha your info. She is our resident Ford Angel / customer service rep. She makes miracles happen.
Originally Posted by ShaneGT
get deysha involved.. she can help out..
Originally Posted by and1976
Sent her a PM a couple of hours ago. Hopefully will hear from her tomorrow morning...
Thank you for the kudos, guys!! I got your PM, and1976. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I am a little slammed, but I should get to you today.

Originally Posted by slostang
Mine sinks to the floor and stays there on a HARD 2-3 shift
You should bring yours in to your dealer as well, slostang. Than PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info if you'd like me to escalate this for you as well.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 10/13/11 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10/15/11, 08:05 AM

I PM'd Deysha and she got back to me yesterday and needed some more info. I was at work and couldn't get back to her until later in the afternoon so hopefully she can look into this on Monday...

So I spoke to the dealer yesterday and these clowns are going to try and hit me for $1800 bucks for the clutch repair. They claim that the OEM clutch is $700 and that the cylinder also needs to be replaced too along with some other small parts too. I know that they can try the BS line about the clutch lining/disc not being under warranty, but these other parts too?

I'm not feeling good about Ford making good on this. I think the service manager at this dealer screwed me by blaming me for burning the clutch and that eventually I'll be paying for it out of pocket one way or another...
Old 10/15/11, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think its the dealer screwing with ya to try and get some money out of you..
Old 10/15/11, 02:48 PM

Sounds like the slave blew out. What I was getting at in my earlier post. It probably blew fluid all over the disk. The slave caused the fail and should be warrantied.
Old 10/15/11, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Sounds frustrating, almost seems just as cheap to get a second hand babied GT500 with the tremec tranny
Old 10/15/11, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Give Deysha a chance to look into this. If you get no satisfaction, hire an independent mechanic to look at the damaged parts and give you his "expert" opinion for the failure. Same thing a Home Inspector would do for your house.

Photograph all the parts involved. Then contact the BBB in Dearborn (Ford Corporate) and file your complaint with them. Keep it factual and leave the emotion out of it. You can do this on line. Attach the photos and the mechanics report, if possible. Include the cost of the inspection in your complaint.
Old 10/16/11, 06:21 PM

@ALscobra

That's exactly what I think happened. If it were just a burnt clutch disc then why would those other parts be destroyed too?

@ShaneGT

I absolutely think this slimebucket dealer is trying to rip me off. Unfortunately for him, if I do end up having to pay, it won't be at that dealer.
Old 10/16/11, 06:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just from what you've posted, it sounds more like the dealer than Ford itself. Hopefully contacting Deysha helps get the problem resolved, especially if the car hasn't been abused and no mods are present.

Quick Reply: Ford trying to make me pay for a destroyed clutch at 2800 miles