Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

First Service 2014 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/14, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation First Service 2014 Mustang

Hi All, I am a first time car owner and need your valuable suggestions. I ve got a new Ford Mustang'14 last November and the dealer mentioned I should have my first maintenance/Service at 5000 miles. When I went through the owners manual it said the first oil change should be at 10k miles or after one year.I am now around 6000 miles.

So my query is when I goto the Maintenance center should I just ask for an oil change or ask for service, bcoz my car got out of a body shop a month ago and I would assume they did checked all the other maintenance stuff;any help is appreciated!!
Old 6/24/14, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bohemian
Hi All, I am a first time car owner and need your valuable suggestions. I ve got a new Ford Mustang'14 last November and the dealer mentioned I should have my first maintenance/Service at 5000 miles. When I went through the owners manual it said the first oil change should be at 10k miles or after one year.I am now around 6000 miles.

So my query is when I goto the Maintenance center should I just ask for an oil change or ask for service, bcoz my car got out of a body shop a month ago and I would assume they did checked all the other maintenance stuff;any help is appreciated!!
This will start a debate however, I don't wait for 10k to change oil, I do mine every 5k. Not sure what other maint you are talking about. If you take it to a dealership they will rotate tires check fluids etc as part of the oil change.
Old 6/24/14, 09:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
The manual says 10,000 miles under certain circumstances, which is basically just highway driving and light city driving. If you drive your car hard at all, or do a lot of city driving or your highway driving is more dynamic then just setting the cruise at 65 until you exit, you should change it sooner. Ambient temperature also plays a roll, and cold weather can also reduce oil change intervals, especially if the engine never full warms up very often (typically 30 minutes of driving does it).

Most folks (especially with a Mustang) need to change their oil according to the "severe" guidelines, which is 5000-7500 miles.
Old 6/25/14, 11:00 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bohemian

Hello bohemian,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. There’s nothing wrong with early oil changes. Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ (IOLM) system which displays a message in the message center at the proper oil change service interval; this interval may be UP TO one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the message center display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 km) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ must be reset after each oil change. Therefore, it still learns between time and mileage.

You can find this info and your oil requirements/specifications in your Owner’s Manual Printing 3, on page 439. Also, be sure to check out our coupons here before your next service appointment.

Deysha
Old 6/26/14, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Most folks (especially with a Mustang) need to change their oil according to the "severe" guidelines, which is 5000-7500 miles.
This is completely untrue. The majority of owners are just fine following the oil life monitor as Deysha outlines below.