Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/13, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change

I just did my first oil change at 2500 miles and switched to Amsoil. It was a very easy change. I was surprised that the oil filter was "finger" and not even "hand" tight.

A question I have is what to do about that plastic access cover that covers the filter area? I removed the 3 bolts, it swung down from the front, and was in the way of the oil running down when I unscrewed the filter. Caused oil to run all over the place. Does it come completely off when changing oil? What can I do besides cuss it or the highly educated mechanical engineer who designed it?
Old 3/5/13, 05:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Basically rest some rags on or under it, and curse like you said.
Old 3/5/13, 07:28 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can fold the plastic back more. Once you unscrew it pull it toward you and it will swing further back if I remember.
Old 3/5/13, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrell Lee
I just did my first oil change at 2500 miles and switched to Amsoil. It was a very easy change. I was surprised that the oil filter was "finger" and not even "hand" tight.

A question I have is what to do about that plastic access cover that covers the filter area? I removed the 3 bolts, it swung down from the front, and was in the way of the oil running down when I unscrewed the filter. Caused oil to run all over the place. Does it come completely off when changing oil? What can I do besides cuss it or the highly educated mechanical engineer who designed it?
Simple solution - wrap a 1 gallon ziplock bag around the filter as you unscrew it - it'll catch most all the oil.
Old 3/15/13, 07:15 PM
V6 Member

Today I did the first change on my 10 GT I recently purchased. My 06 didn't have a cover to deal with. I don't really see the purpose for the cover and thought about removing it entirely but I guess it may help protect something so buttoned it back up. I was also surprised that there is an oil change monitor. The owners manual doesn't even mention it. I thought the Mustang went by mileage only.
Old 3/16/13, 12:49 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
Today I did the first change on my 10 GT I recently purchased. My 06 didn't have a cover to deal with. I don't really see the purpose for the cover and thought about removing it entirely but I guess it may help protect something so buttoned it back up. I was also surprised that there is an oil change monitor. The owners manual doesn't even mention it. I thought the Mustang went by mileage only.
There for wind noise and somewhat a mpg improver by no letting turbulent winds build there and create drag. Mustangs go by date and mileage
Old 3/16/13, 03:31 PM
V6 Member

Thanks, after I thought about it I realized it might reduce turbulence or drag on the bottom, any little thing to eke out a little better mpg. Not too much of a hassle after I found the right socket to remove the two fasteners. After a little research, I think the oil change indicator activates at six months or sooner depending on mileage.
Old 3/17/13, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
Thanks, after I thought about it I realized it might reduce turbulence or drag on the bottom, any little thing to eke out a little better mpg. Not too much of a hassle after I found the right socket to remove the two fasteners. After a little research, I think the oil change indicator activates at six months or sooner depending on mileage.
It's explained in your manual - based on mileage, temperature, driving style, time, etc.