Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Extreme oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/11, 11:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreme oil Consumption

I changed my oil last Sunday and just 250 short miles later I'm low 1/2 a quart. I've been smelling oil for a few weeks, while driving, but dismissed it as the junker in front of me as my car is new. I know that I should check my oil regularly, but hell this car is new and it shouldn't be using/burning oil this soon in ownership.

Regardless I set up a service appointment to have it looked at but wanted to see if anyone else is noticing extreme oil consumption issues.
Old 10/30/11, 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You mentioned you changed the oil...don't be insulted, but did you check the filter to make sure it was tight and not leaking. That could account for the smell of oil.
Old 10/30/11, 08:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
You mentioned you changed the oil...don't be insulted, but did you check the filter to make sure it was tight and not leaking. That could account for the smell of oil.
Not insulted at all, it's good to mention. Yes, the oil filter is tight, I checked that and the entire underside if the engine for leaks prior to making a service appointment. The burning oil smell has been happening for a while prior to the oil change.
Old 11/6/11, 05:28 AM
V6 Member

I would buy a oil separator most of that oil is Probley going into your manifold. Just an option to narrow down your reasons.
Old 11/6/11, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jefframrod
I would buy a oil separator most of that oil is Probley going into your manifold. Just an option to narrow down your reasons.
^^^^This...

First of all, these engines seem to be using some oil during break in. Some have reported a huge amount of loss of oil. Some have reported using very little. I have had to add 1/2 qt and that is all I have burned. My oil level has remained level now.

There is also reports that the factory is underfilling SOME of these cars from the factory. There have been several posts where guys have had to replace their entire engine under warranty because the engine burned up due to oil starvation.

I put a JLT oil seperator on my car within the first 200 miles and it caught a lot of oil at first. Not that I have some miles on the car, it catches about 1/2 a tea spoon every 1k miles.

Just check your dip stick every week or everytime you fill your car up and you will be fine.
Old 11/6/11, 12:48 PM

Oil Loss

I have a little over 14 hundred miles on my 2012 GT. I just put in a half qt of oil and had about 3/8" in my JLT oil seperater. I put it on with less than 100 miles on it.
Old 11/10/11, 01:21 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
wow im glad its not just me i have just under 900 miles on mine ..its a 2012 5.0...and ive caught that oil smell too -just faintly.at first i thought maybe i piked up somethng on my shoes ,cause you only smell it on occasion briefly ,ive checkd it a coupl times looks to b just under the first dot on stick ,,not even touchng dot one ..my 09 gt came that way and so did alot of s197s..but the 5.0 is a whole different beast. do they use oil like this ,,wow
Old 11/10/11, 01:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dlc1
wow im glad its not just me i have just under 900 miles on mine ..its a 2012 5.0...and ive caught that oil smell too -just faintly.at first i thought maybe i piked up somethng on my shoes ,cause you only smell it on occasion briefly ,ive checkd it a coupl times looks to b just under the first dot on stick ,,not even touchng dot one ..my 09 gt came that way and so did alot of s197s..but the 5.0 is a whole different beast. do they use oil like this ,,wow
Ive started to notice the oil smell as well, normally right after I go WOT then come to a stop. I tell you man if its not one thing its another with this **** car.

I have almost 7k miles and bought it Oct last year.
Old 11/11/11, 09:36 PM

Those of you that have put an oil separator on your car, what brand did you get?
Old 11/12/11, 06:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bad Boss 302
Those of you that have put an oil separator on your car, what brand did you get?
JLT all the way!

My Mustang used a fair amount of oil it's first 2,800 miles. No smoking, minimal smell. I changed over to full synthetic and put on the JLT oil separator and haven't had to add oil in between oil changes again since then. I also no longer have the oil smell.
Old 11/12/11, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Im goin to order the jlt oil separator today and see if it helps.
Old 11/14/11, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you've lost 1/2 quart in 250 miles I can assure you it's not because of lack of an oil seperator. That service appointment is a great idea. let us know what you find.
Old 11/14/11, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

Well I took it in and the car sat for 5 days without being looked at. They claimed that the oil level was full, but when I asked they claim that it was checked after letting it run for about 15 minutes. Not satisfied with that I requested they let it sit for a day and check it first thing in the morning. WHen they did they claim the oil level hadn't moved, and it was still just below the top hole. Fast forward 3 days I returned, from my trip, went to dealership and picked my car up at 6am (was left outside), and I checked the oil first thing and it and it was right where it was when I brought it in (1/2 quart low).

Irritated with the dealership's inability to properly check my oil I took the car and left. I put 500 miles on it over the next week. I haven't driven the car in 3 days, but will check it first thing tomorrow and report back. I'm curious to see where it's sitting myself.

I've read that with the 5.0 having higher compression there tends to be more blow by, but this still seems to be a bit excessive to me.
Old 11/14/11, 07:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just wondering....what is the level on the dipstick that you read it at compared to the dealers saying it is just below the top hole...
Old 11/15/11, 09:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-331-29psi
Well I took it in and the car sat for 5 days without being looked at. They claimed that the oil level was full, but when I asked they claim that it was checked after letting it run for about 15 minutes. Not satisfied with that I requested they let it sit for a day and check it first thing in the morning. WHen they did they claim the oil level hadn't moved, and it was still just below the top hole. Fast forward 3 days I returned, from my trip, went to dealership and picked my car up at 6am (was left outside), and I checked the oil first thing and it and it was right where it was when I brought it in (1/2 quart low).
Hey 93-331-29psi,

I'd like to escalate this for you. Please PM me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha