Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Engine knock? If not what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/13, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine knock? If not what is it?

Hey guys I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to jump in here become part of the community. I know there are some out there that are going to complain because this is my first post, so well... Get over it... Lol gotta have a little fun before being called a liar right? Anyways, I have a 2012 GT with the Brembo package with Roush axle back mufflers, stock AI, NO aftermarket tune, and I've got what sounds like a lower end engine knock. It starts shortly after a cold start and continues indefinitely. I've narrowed it to the drivers side of the engine and it seems loudest at rear of engine, using a stethoscope. My dealership says they don't hear it, yet I don't know how they can't since my phone picks it up and my significant other has heard it over the phone.... I feel like its just another noise they tell me doesn't exist. I've posted a couple videos to YouTube and figured you guys could help me determine if what I'm hearing is in fact real of if I'm going off the reservation and I'm starting to hear things that aren't really there.... Thanks for all if your help in advance.

Old 12/10/13, 09:52 PM

I don't know how I forgot to add this to my orginal post but I just finished an oil consumption test and used 3.5 quarts in 4671 miles and was told by my local dealership's service manager that "Ford" said this was normal.... Somebody is lying... Little did he know I had already seen the coriapondence between him and Ford and knew that Fird told him that one quart was acceptable in 3000 miles. Even though we know its using oil get to endure yet another oil consumption test because the technician did not zip tie my dipstick so I could not check my own oil. During the initial test I found metal on the oil dipstick and no one seemed to be to worried about that, well except for me... At the beginning of the second consumption test, which was today 12-10-13, I asked for the oil filter that was on the car so I could put my fears to rest. They gave me the filter and a quart of the oil from the engine and when looked at with a flashlight, looked like someone took it to the strip club and I came back all glittery! I showed it to the service manager and he told me that this was normal for a car with 36,876 miles. Of course I disagreed and the. Was told I was a problem for the dealership and was asked to leave and find a new dealer..... Needless to say NOT A HAPPY CAMPER at that point.... Someone please correct me if I'm entirely wrong here but for an engine that has 36,876 miles on it with 4671 miles on the oil change, if I remember correctly there should be NO metal floating in the oil whatsoever. If I'm wrong someone please tell me how and prove it to me because I'm not buyin it, just wasn't raised to think that particular of metal floating around in the oil got there on there own or that they are there and nothing caused them to be there.... Thanks again..
Old 12/11/13, 09:56 PM

Anyone? This is driving me nuts!
Old 12/11/13, 10:36 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I couldn't hear anything in the vid, but I'd be pissed just from the oil consumption. That ain't normal, I don't give a **** who says it is.

And they would have had to call the cops to make me leave, because when they told me I was a problem and not to come back there would have been some hell raising going on for sure, they haven't seen a problem like they'd have from me.
Old 12/11/13, 11:08 PM

Yeah I'm not exactly thrilled about how they are treating me but unfortunately it's the closest dealer that is more of a convenience I guess. If you listen to the video starting at 1:10 you can hear a knock/rattle/clatter at about 1500 rpm when I rev it if you listen past the exhaust. I can actually feel the knock in the pedals, the floor, and the shifter. At 1400-1600 I can feel a shake in the engine which corresponds to where I hear the knock the loudest on a cold start. That video is a couple days old and it has gotten worse since then. I'll try to get another video up tomorrow. I have another video up already with the engine warm and it knocks at idle. My favorite statements from the service manager was that there wasn't metal in the oil and that it could just be debris in the oil because even new oil has debris in it.... I almost fell out in the floor laughing at him for that one! I've also been in contact with Ford Customer Service, which honestly isn't helping because I'm getting the standard response of "well they are independently owned and we cannot control how they do business." That's Ford's name on the building and you would think that they would want ensure their name isn't soiled because of a single individual. At least if my name were in the building that is how I would expect them to treat people...
Old 12/12/13, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Brembo5.0
Yeah I'm not exactly thrilled about how they are treating me but unfortunately it's the closest dealer that is more of a convenience I guess. If you listen to the video starting at 1:10 you can hear a knock/rattle/clatter at about 1500 rpm when I rev it if you listen past the exhaust. I can actually feel the knock in the pedals, the floor, and the shifter. At 1400-1600 I can feel a shake in the engine which corresponds to where I hear the knock the loudest on a cold start. That video is a couple days old and it has gotten worse since then. I'll try to get another video up tomorrow. I have another video up already with the engine warm and it knocks at idle. My favorite statements from the service manager was that there wasn't metal in the oil and that it could just be debris in the oil because even new oil has debris in it.... I almost fell out in the floor laughing at him for that one! I've also been in contact with Ford Customer Service, which honestly isn't helping because I'm getting the standard response of "well they are independently owned and we cannot control how they do business." That's Ford's name on the building and you would think that they would want ensure their name isn't soiled because of a single individual. At least if my name were in the building that is how I would expect them to treat people...
Cut the filter open with a filter cutter (Do not use a tool that will leave cuttings behind like saws or “Whizz wheels”!). In a clean bucket using a clean solvent (Paint thinner will work fine) wash the element. Strain the solvent and filtered crud through a clean white cloth (Like tightly woven white linen) and examine the tailings (Use a microscope if necessary). After you've looked at it, drag magnet over it. That will separate out the ferrous from the non-ferrous. Cams, valve train, rings cylinders and piston pins are typically ferrous while bearings and pistons are not.

You have a quart of drained oil from the engine correct? Send a sample of it in for analysis. I use Titan labs in Colorado for other engines I service and like their report.

Regards,
John
Old 12/13/13, 06:56 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brembo5.0
Hey guys I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to jump in here become part of the community. I know there are some out there that are going to complain because this is my first post, so well... Get over it... Lol gotta have a little fun before being called a liar right? Anyways, I have a 2012 GT with the Brembo package with Roush axle back mufflers, stock AI, NO aftermarket tune, and I've got what sounds like a lower end engine knock. It starts shortly after a cold start and continues indefinitely.
Hello Brembo5.0,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and I’d like to get this escalated for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 12/14/13, 12:50 PM
GT Member

I'm not trying to be smart here, but less throttle "blipping" in the next video. raise the rpm's smoothly and hold to say 1200, 1500, 1700, 2200, etc- that would be more useful for evaluation purposes. All anyone can hear is the exhaust.

FWIW I do hear the very slightest amount of what I would consider "extra" clatter- as you describe it at one point for a few seconds. Being these are production engines and tolerances vary it doesn't sound alarming.

The oil consumption IS alarming. Something is clearly not right on that end.