Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver Side Pony Projector Problems

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/14, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
no good. after 2 months of replacement. i have distortion again. hate it.
Old 6/12/14, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyyPunk
Just had my 4th one put in last week. The previous one they replaced the whole mirror assembly with it and it lasted several months! They said this time there was a new revision again (but didn't specify if it was the mirror or just the clip in light). I will know once I get my paperwork back after I get my rust fixed
Let us know. I will probably need to buy the new versions but need the part number.
Old 6/20/14, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hadn't posted my reply about my passenger side pony logo being fixed. Awesome, only took about 45 minutes waiting in the sales office area, and it was repaired. The parts came quickly, and it turned out to be only the lamp for me that had to be replaced. Works great now, free warranty service from my local Ford dealership.
Old 6/24/14, 12:16 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Skippy McSilly
I noticed the same on my car couple of days ago. I thought it was just water in and that it will dry and disappear. Apparently not!
Did you get this addressed with your Ford Dealer, Skippy McSilly?

Deysha
Old 6/24/14, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by thomasj61
Part is on order HOUSING AND LENS ASY
Part #: DR3Z13B375A
Port Richey of Ford Rocks!

I was reading this form and noticed you are very close to me. I am in NEW Port Richey.. I went to buy my car there but there sales management were terrible. I have a 2006 mustang that I have had serviced there...

Funny Small world
Old 6/30/14, 01:43 AM

I had both of mine replaced back in January. I was told on here that the part was revised but the replacement on the passenger side is starting to go bad again. It's still under warranty but this is really frustrating. Even more so if it keeps happening after the warranty expires.
Old 7/16/14, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems to me that those mirror covers are letting soap and or comtaminates in light bulb area or it is draining to bottom of projection lights causing distortion. It would seem they need to isolate the light from cover sealment
Old 10/4/14, 05:58 AM

Whoever comes up with an aftermarket fix for this problem is going to make some money. For now, I got an extra set of lamps and if I need perfection for an evening I'll throw them on.
Old 10/7/14, 10:57 AM

I have a 2013 beauty! And both of my ponies look like those in this thread as well. I've had my car for 2 years. Been getting worse for about 2 months. I brought it into the dealership and they said it is covered, they ordered 2 new bulbs. I hope these last! Seems crazy so many people have the same problem!
Old 10/7/14, 05:08 PM

I contacted my dealer in Toronto (Canada) and told him that mine were starting to go (after only 4 months on the road this summer) and was told that he had never heard of or seen such a thing. They are only just starting to look goofy and will take the car and show him in the spring. Mark
Old 10/8/14, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Hone
I contacted my dealer in Toronto (Canada) and told him that mine were starting to go (after only 4 months on the road this summer) and was told that he had never heard of or seen such a thing. They are only just starting to look goofy and will take the car and show him in the spring. Mark
Be sure to bring it in to them as soon as possible, Mark Hone. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to PM our FordServiceCA Rep on this forum.

Deysha
Old 10/10/14, 08:00 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too ARRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Hi Deysha I am have the same problem with my pony light I brought it to Bay Ridge Ford in Brooklyn and they told me they can't do anything about it because as long as the light is working they can't do anything about it.
Old 10/10/14, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by defiance772
Hi Deysha I am have the same problem with my pony light I brought it to Bay Ridge Ford in Brooklyn and they told me they can't do anything about it because as long as the light is working they can't do anything about it.
That's a load of bs. I've had my p/s replaced twice and my d/s once, all with working lights. Ford has corrected the issue and I have no more problems with them.
Old 10/10/14, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by defiance772
Hey defiance772,

Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 11/4/14, 02:49 PM

7k miles and my driver's side is going. My car was built in February '14 iirc.

Add me to the list. My wife and I love the lights. It's definitely different and it surprises people.

I wonder if the water (assuming it's water) is getting up in there or just draining down to it. I haven't seen how it all goes together. Anyone have theirs apart? Pics?

If Ford could implement/approve a home grown fix besides just replacement. Doing so, maybe they could prevent the cost outlay of repeat warranty repairs. It seems like water has to be getting in there. Mine looks just like the second pic posted in this thread. Spotty. I'd hate to look forward to having messed up "pony projection" lamps that don't project a pony after my warranty expires. So I'd have to pay for them as long as they are manufactured (7 yrs) occasionally or disable them. That idea is not appealing since I paid $700 for heated seats and this.

Please don't mistake this as a rant. I'm just thinking it out. I really like the lights and sought out a non totally loaded out '14...just enough to get the comfort package and premium M6.

I'll mention the lights when I go in for the regular oil change.
Old 11/12/14, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

There is no point with getting them replaced until Ford comes up with a solution. I've had both sides replaced 3 times now in 2 years (ALWAYS A HASSLE!). It comes right back, the design is flawed and should not have made it past R&D
Old 11/13/14, 09:42 PM

Same issue with my Mustang purchased new in March 2014. Passenger side pony looks like it's on fire, lol! Driver side is just starting to show scratches and what looks like water droplets. I have an appointment with my dealer for tomorrow morning so they can look at this issue as well as a slow leak in my rear passenger tire.

(By the way, would my Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire be covered under any type of warranty? I know Michelin has a 65,000 mile treadwear warranty and a workmanship/materials warranty, but I would think this would fall under road hazard. Does anyone know if they cover road hazard? I only have about 8700 miles on the car.)

I'll let yall know what happens with the lamps.
Old 11/14/14, 08:43 AM

UPDATE: Dealer replaced projector lamps this morning free of charge.

(Also patched tire free of charge as well.)

Total time was about 1.5 hours. Great experience with the service department.
Old 11/15/14, 12:22 PM

I stumbled across this thread while looking for ways to fix my projectors. Glad I'm not the only one who is experiencing this problem. I LOVE my ponies... except that now they both look like they have been through the war. I have a 2014 v6 that's not even a year old yet. Guess I should try the dealership!
Old 11/22/14, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by jerseagal
I stumbled across this thread while looking for ways to fix my projectors. Glad I'm not the only one who is experiencing this problem. I LOVE my ponies... except that now they both look like they have been through the war. I have a 2014 v6 that's not even a year old yet. Guess I should try the dealership!
Just like you, jerseagal, I stumbled across this thread as well when I got a call today about my car. It's in for routine service for the second time, just over a year old, and my 2014 V6 has the same issue. The passenger side looks like it's all scratched up and the drivers side is fine. I forgot to mention it when I took it in for 6 month service. They called me today to say they had to order a part to replace it. Just hoping they don't plan to charge me or I'll be pissed. Glad to see its not just me.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Pony Projector Problems