Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Did I make a mistake placing an order for a 2013 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/12, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I make a mistake placing an order for a 2013 GT?

Hi. I placed an order for a 2013 GT Premium w/ recaros and track pack yesterday. However, the more I am looking at forums, the more mt82 and blown motor issues I see. This car will be my DD and I will put 33k miles/year on it, so reliability is of huge concern. I am wondering if these cars are a pile or if I am just seeing the usual Internet phenomena that only those with problems post on the forums. Thanks for your help.
Old 4/29/12, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I just picked up my 2013 vert 5.0 - I do around 25,000kms a year, I'm not worried....nether should you, ford makes a great product.
Old 4/29/12, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jakk
Hi. I placed an order for a 2013 GT Premium w/ recaros and track pack yesterday. However, the more I am looking at forums, the more mt82 and blown motor issues I see. This car will be my DD and I will put 33k miles/year on it, so reliability is of huge concern. I am wondering if these cars are a pile or if I am just seeing the usual Internet phenomena that only those with problems post on the forums. Thanks for your help.
As long as you didn't order a Boss 302 you'll be fine.
Old 4/29/12, 07:46 PM
Cobra Member

You have nothing to worry about
Old 4/29/12, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I'm really hoping everything will be fine. It's just that I see a number of posts on forums regarding MT82 and engine issues, and it seems like there is a higher volume of those posts then there are in Camaro, etc. forums.
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
What is wrong with the 302's?

Last edited by jakk; 4/29/12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 4/29/12, 07:49 PM
Banned

Yeah, I'm really hoping everything will be fine. It's just that I see a number of posts on forums regarding MT82 and engine issues, and it seems like there is a higher volume of those posts then there are in Camaro, etc. forums.

What is wrong with the 302's?
You haven't heard?
Old 4/29/12, 07:55 PM

You haven't heard?
Nope
Old 4/29/12, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford does make a good product, however the mt82 built in china is not the best they could have done. I purchased anyways, but it's not my daily driver. If ur worried get an extended warranty (only if u plan to not tune her). Don't want to spend more money if you plan on voiding the powertrain warranty. In the end do what you want.
Old 4/29/12, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

The motor and tranny issues are blown out of proportion. 95% or the posts about these I have seen are people warning other people that it may happen. These issues are few and far between and usually happen within the first 10000 miles IF they occur at all. Ford makes a great product and I would be very surprised if you had any issues at all!!
Old 4/29/12, 08:35 PM
GT Member

You're going to love the car, unless you get unlucky and receive a GT with issues. Then you'll be angry beyond belief. Coming from someone who is currently in lawsuit with Ford, if they refuse to fix it the right way, sue them. I'm looking at getting back more than what I have into the car. Thank God for laws that govern these companies and have the customer's best interest in mind, because Ford sure doesn't.

Still a great car, enjoyed every second of it when it wasn't giving me issues.
Old 4/29/12, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by TwistedKarma
You're going to love the car, unless you get unlucky and receive a GT with issues. Then you'll be angry beyond belief. Coming from someone who is currently in lawsuit with Ford, if they refuse to fix it the right way, sue them. I'm looking at getting back more than what I have into the car. Thank God for laws that govern these companies and have the customer's best interest in mind, because Ford sure doesn't.

Still a great car, enjoyed every second of it when it wasn't giving me issues.
That's what I'm afraid of, although I realize that every car company is going to procedure lemons and will not want to take the initiative to fix them. I was just wondering if the 5.0s have a higher incidence of this than other cars.
Old 4/29/12, 08:49 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe just has Boss envy!

I haven't had any issues with the transmission in mine, only 2,300 miles on it right now, but think a lot of the threads complaining about these things are blown up.
Old 4/29/12, 08:49 PM
GT Member

That's what I'm afraid of, although I realize that every car company is going to procedure lemons and will not want to take the initiative to fix them. I was just wondering if the 5.0s have a higher incidence of this than other cars.
I couldn't answer that for you, because, well, I've only owned one. However, I will tell you that if you do get a lemon, you'll be frustrated and angry beyond belief.

Truth be told, when you purchase or make an investment this large you shouldn't have to worry about these things. If the purchase turns out bad, you should be reimbursed or wrongs should be righted to YOUR satisfaction. It seems that Ford has lost sight of this. They seem to think a warranty is put in place to fix issues that may arise as a result of poor manufacturing rather than wear and tear or failure of parts after a set amount of time. I'm sure the odds aren't against you for receiving a car without issues, but just understand it's not impossible by any means.

With that being said, I'm sure you'll end up with a great car and you'll love every second of it.
Old 4/29/12, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boss 1409

Joe just has Boss envy!

I haven't had any issues with the transmission in mine, only 2,300 miles on it right now, but think a lot of the threads complaining about these things are blown up.
How about the paint E?
Old 4/29/12, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In 21000 miles, driven all year in temps ranging from 110 to -25, the only problems I have experienced involved the fluid change (MT-82) TSB for cold weather, and I didn't get that done until 10,000 miles. At 19,000 miles the rear axle vent upchucked fluid after a 1300+ mile trip at 75, for three days.
The dealer looked at the vent, ordered parts and replaced everything, the tech cleaned the axle housing and underbody and replaced the differential fluid in 45 minutes. Thats it. No squeaks, rattles, leaks , engine ticks, and whatever other assorted problems have been posted.

Stop worrying, you will get an ulcer. Enjoy the car. I look for excuses to drive, even in snow (with 4 Blizzaks on 18" SVT wheels), and so will you.
Old 4/29/12, 08:54 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about the paint E?
How about you suck Joe, always bringing up old ****, lol

Last edited by Boss 1409; 4/29/12 at 09:01 PM.
Old 4/29/12, 08:58 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I have almost 7,000 miles on my 2012 and trans and motor are fine..

The motor problems early on were from tuners and tunes that were not correct. I still havent seen a stock 5.0 blow yet. Every time someone claims they had a motor failure it turns out to be a after market tune issue.

They had a few problems with the mt82s but they seems to be fixed and getting better. just search the forum and you will find ford has stepped up everytime it wasnt track or after market caused.
Old 4/29/12, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
Ford does make a good product, however the mt82 built in china is not the best they could have done. I purchased anyways, but it's not my daily driver. If ur worried get an extended warranty (only if u plan to not tune her). Don't want to spend more money if you plan on voiding the powertrain warranty. In the end do what you want.
The MT-82 is a getrag. It's from the Ford-GETRAG joint venture based in Germany and made in a Getrag operated factory in China. Getrag has most of their parts made in house. The bearings are probably the weak link, but if you buy GM you're getting bearings throughout the car from the same supplier.

This is not your average made-in-china product. Would I feel better if it were made in Germany and would pay for it? Yeah, I probably would. But I don't feel the risk in the end is much different than if had been made in UAW factory in MI. Because in both cases there are worker horror stories to fear impacting quality. But that's all it should amount to either way. I wouldn't expect Getrag to be slip-shod in their operation.
Old 4/30/12, 08:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Remember, there are somewhere between 80K and 100K Mustangs sold per year. There are 34,000 members of this board total. You're getting a very narrow, very enthusiast-biased review of the car. We, in general, are more critical, **** and are harder on our cars than the general public, but we probably maintain them better than the general public too. However, almost no one comes onto this board to talk about things that work correctly; you just see the stuff that people complain about. Yes, there's been some teething issues with the new transmission and a couple tuners blew up new 5.0 motors, which you can't blame Ford for.

There are TSBs out there for every single car in existence - you can't produce this complex of a product, involving hundreds of different people, machines and suppliers, all working with a limited budget, without some issues that will pop up. But overall, these cars are reliable and devoid of problems and you'll enjoy the hell out of it. Go order your '13 and quit paying attention to the .005% of people who have this problem or that problem.
Old 4/30/12, 08:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
This car will be my DD and I will put 33k miles/year on it, so reliability is of huge concern.
Do you have a reliability benchmark car in mind? Just curious...

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake placing an order for a 2013 GT?