Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Auto or manual

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/12, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick shift it is boys, only real men get a stick. I drove passenger to my friend who has a stick, amazing it looks so fun! **** auto, never goin back! I want to control my car!
Old 11/14/12, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrDisney
I have had many sports cars over the years and personally don't like the clutch action on an American car. It's too long and too heavy. (The Acura RSX was the finest shifting car I have ever driven). Therefore, I bought an automatic for my new Mustang last year.
First of all the RSX is not a sports car, second of all the whole "too long and too heavy" comment is for the old muscle, this car's clutch ('13 stang) hooks around 15% of the clutch pushed in, a sports car without a manual seems useless to me UNLESS there's so medical reason behind it. An automatic sounds like a toy when it shifts, mine backfires and you feel the vibrations on the shiftknob, nothing beats manuals. Even with all the technology, you're still in control.
Old 11/15/12, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by michael 20
only real men get a stick.
That is a very awkward statement. I guess it depends on what you classify as a real man.

(Labor intensive low income job, mullet, mom tattoo, calls wife "old lady", jeans have permanent wallet indentation,doesn't hunt but has more than one camouflage hat, gets excited about meat loaf, wears cut off shirts and can't spell gym, frequent violator of "plumbers crack", favorite movie is "overboard", waiting for the band poison to make a come back, thinks work boots are a fashion statement, has extensive collection of jorts, thinks his mustang is suitable for off roading, has his own recliner, gets socks and undershirts for Christmas, has more kids than bedrooms, owns a pet raccoon, uses the phrase "real men drive stick", biggest arch enemy is Chevy, has a plastic ******* hanging from the rear of his pick up truck, calls a creek a "crick", beer accounts for 50 percent of his refrigerator. Has a DUI, knows the difference between DUI and DWI, practices field sobriety tests while drunk, cops know you by name.)
Old 11/15/12, 07:21 AM
GT Member

Manual

Last edited by michael 20; 3/19/13 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11/15/12, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

@mikeyt03 wtf dude ur an idiot, u just described a complete hick, gtfo with ur serious bull**** dude. What made u come on here to talk **** on mustang owners
I own a mustang Michael 20. Im not talking ****, just pointing that your comment is very rude and open for interpretation. Come on...you just said anyone with an auto isn't a real man, and I'm talking ****? Grow up.
Old 11/15/12, 10:35 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
@mikeyt03 wtf dude ur an idiot, u just described a complete hick, gtfo with ur serious bull**** dude. What made u come on here to talk **** on mustang owners
hey guy... this forum doesnt support personal attack.. that will get you banned very fast.
Old 11/15/12, 06:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mopar?
First of all the RSX is not a sports car, second of all the whole "too long and too heavy" comment is for the old muscle, this car's clutch ('13 stang) hooks around 15% of the clutch pushed in, a sports car without a manual seems useless to me UNLESS there's so medical reason behind it. An automatic sounds like a toy when it shifts, mine backfires and you feel the vibrations on the shiftknob, nothing beats manuals. Even with all the technology, you're still in control.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I ever owned an RSX, just drove one. I did test drive a 2012 Mustang manual and didn't like it. As I stated, for me the clutch travel was too long and too heavy, felt like truck. I have owned two Corvettes and two Mazda RX7s. The Corvettes were automatic and the Mazdas manual.
Old 11/15/12, 11:44 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I ever owned an RSX, just drove one. I did test drive a 2012 Mustang manual and didn't like it. As I stated, for me the clutch travel was too long and too heavy, felt like truck. I have owned two Corvettes and two Mazda RX7s. The Corvettes were automatic and the Mazdas manual.
I have driven most american sports cars. I think the mustang clutch isnt that bad and is on par for american muscle.
Old 11/16/12, 07:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, shifting in a manual transmission Japanese car, is very smooth. I've even messed up while shift and the car just shuttered a bit but didn't turn off( I had let off the clutch and Gas completely, while in neutral). European cars, some are better then others(If I remember right, shifting in an Audi S4 was smoother, then in the M3)
Originally Posted by Flagstang

I have driven most american sports cars. I think the mustang clutch isnt that bad and is on par for american muscle.
Agree, granted I haven't had a chance to drive a 11-13 mustang, the shifting was smoother in a 99-04 GT, then in my brother in laws 06 GTO.

Back on topic, I would get a manual transmission, they just offer alot more control then an automatic tranny could.

Last edited by shurtual86; 11/16/12 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11/16/12, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I went from a Audi TT to my Mustang and my Mustang Clutch is more refined IMO.. But in fairness to the TT is was a 2000 and the Mustang is a 2013. I did not like the heaviness of my friends 2006 Mustang so if that was the comparison I understand.
Old 11/16/12, 08:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GreenCars
I went from a Audi TT to my Mustang and my Mustang Clutch is more refined IMO.. But in fairness to the TT is was a 2000 and the Mustang is a 2013. I did not like the heaviness of my friends 2006 Mustang so if that was the comparison I understand.
The Audi's I drove were 07+ , the only TT I have driven was an automatic :/ but it was a 2nd gen ( had different headlights but I'm no Audi expert).
Yup haven't had a chance to drive a 2011+ mustang yet, so I wouldn't know how it compares to the 05-10
Old 11/16/12, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
That is a very awkward statement. I guess it depends on what you classify as a real man.

(Labor intensive low income job, mullet, mom tattoo, calls wife "old lady", jeans have permanent wallet indentation,doesn't hunt but has more than one camouflage hat, gets excited about meat loaf, wears cut off shirts and can't spell gym, frequent violator of "plumbers crack", favorite movie is "overboard", waiting for the band poison to make a come back, thinks work boots are a fashion statement, has extensive collection of jorts, thinks his mustang is suitable for off roading, has his own recliner, gets socks and undershirts for Christmas, has more kids than bedrooms, owns a pet raccoon, uses the phrase "real men drive stick", biggest arch enemy is Chevy, has a plastic ******* hanging from the rear of his pick up truck, calls a creek a "crick", beer accounts for 50 percent of his refrigerator. Has a DUI, knows the difference between DUI and DWI, practices field sobriety tests while drunk, cops know you by name.)
Man, I qualified for about half of that statement... My old lady's meat loaf is the BOMB!
Old 11/16/12, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Stick shift it is boys, only real men get a stick. I drove passenger to my friend who has a stick, amazing it looks so fun! **** auto, never goin back! I want to control my car!
Sorry, but it don't work that easy. You won't qualify to be a "real man" around here until you buy a V8.

FWIW, that's not my sentiments, just the general flow of threads around here.

Good luck joining the "real men" club. The bar moves around here a lot!
Old 11/16/12, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by chessmanmark

Sorry, but it don't work that easy. You won't qualify to be a "real man" around here until you buy a V8.

FWIW, that's not my sentiments, just the general flow of threads around here.

Good luck joining the "real men" club. The bar moves around here a lot!
Ok dude, I'm 17 and getting a v6 and I'm happy, now I just have to decide black or white any one wanna help?
Old 11/16/12, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok dude, I'm 17 and getting a v6 and I'm happy, now I just have to decide black or white any one wanna help?
Oh god. please tell me this isn't your first car
Old 11/16/12, 04:10 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6
Oh god. please tell me this isn't your first car
lol - didn't we go through something like this a few months ago with a different new driver?
Old 11/16/12, 04:37 PM
Banned

I have to say if anyone finds the mt82 hard to drive, then you've clearly never driven anything sporty.

Try the Tremec T-56 first, then come back and complain. If you want to go retro, try a 454, behind a close ratio Muncie M22. Suddenly the Getrag will feel smooth as butter. It's part of having a car that isn't a buzzy 4-cyl.

For you automatic only types because a manual is too hard.. I'm a 29 year old female, and given equal cars, I will out shift you, and laugh at yor inability to work something so basic. If I can take an LS2 GTO to 11's, cam only on DRs, I think I know how to drive

I've personally have had extended seat time behind a Borg-Warner T5 thirdgen fbody, and a S10. a Tremec T56 in a LS2 GTO, and seat time in two different muscle cars with te Muncie M22, and by far, the Getrag MT-82 has had the best feel.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 11/16/12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11/16/12, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

For you automatic only types because a manual is too hard.. I'm a 29 year old female, and given equal cars, I will out shift you, and laugh at yor inability to work something so basic. If I can take an LS2 GTO to 11's, cam only on DRs, I think I know how to drive
I'm laughing at your inability to form sentences : ) j/k

But seriously...What does age and gender have to do with anything? It's not physically hard to shift fast. Why do you think that everyone will be so impressed that you're a 29 year old female that can shift fast? I don't get it, or maybe I missed half of this thread.
Old 11/16/12, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't get the whole "this" is better than "that" equations that go on here. "This" is better if that's what YOU like. "That" is better if that's what YOU like.

If you like to shift gears, then go for it. If you like the convenience of an automatic, then enjoy that. Each one has a consumer base or it wouldn't be sold.

I think for some people buying a Mustang is the first time they have had the opportunity to drive a manual so it's exciting for them.
Old 11/16/12, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
I'm laughing at your inability to form sentences : ) j/k

But seriously...What does age and gender have to do with anything? It's not physically hard to shift fast. Why do you think that everyone will be so impressed that you're a 29 year old female that can shift fast? I don't get it, or maybe I missed half of this thread.
im saying that it's not hard at all to learn and be proficient with a manual transmission. I do apologize about my sentences. I was on my iPad.

Quick Reply: Auto or manual