Notices
Warranty and Service Issue

Anyone with the shaker 500 system getting a rattle in the door?

Old 12/31/11, 03:29 PM
  #1  
Bullitt Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 12, 2011
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with the shaker 500 system getting a rattle in the door?

I have a 2012 mustang gt with the stock shaker 500 system. In the sound settings I have the bass and treble turned up to max with the balance and fade in the middle, it is set to "driver seat". I made a thread about a week ago about a blown subwoofer in my front passenger door. I tried figuring out the problem just an hour ago and I realized that when the door is opened the door rattles below the arm rest. The woofers in the doors make the doors vibrate and this causes a rattling noise. I think when the doors are closed it is a little better but I still hear it. It is not a "farting noise" that the woofer is making so I guess it's not blown. Is that how you tell if a woofer is blown? Any solution to this rattle? I looked at the shelby kicker woofers to replace, but I'm afraid if I replace them and I still get the rattle.
Will3212 is offline  
Old 12/31/11, 04:35 PM
  #2  
Cobra Member
 
AzPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 7, 2010
Location: Panama City, Fl.
Posts: 1,124
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Remove the door panel and start applying any one of the sound deadening products. Many post all over the net about them and the quality, price, and application.
AzPete is offline  
Old 1/1/12, 10:56 AM
  #3  
GT Member
 
linelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 3, 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I covered the back of my door panels with dinomat. It helped a lot.

Ill never understand how Ford engineers thought that mounting a 8" woofer on a plastic door panel instead of the steel door framing was a good idea. And did they never turn the system over 70 db in testing?
linelock is offline  
Old 1/4/12, 11:01 AM
  #4  
Cobra Member
 
CHDS PNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 9, 2004
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,077
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
funny story, i was driving on the interstate on sunday and i had a horrible rattle going on...and thought of this thread...turns out my coat's zipper was pushed up against the sub (had the coat on the pass footwell)

moral of the story...make sure you dont have your coat near your sub
CHDS PNY is offline  
Old 1/4/12, 11:32 AM
  #5  
Cobra Member
 
AzPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 7, 2010
Location: Panama City, Fl.
Posts: 1,124
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My wife left a candy wrapper in the passenger door pouch......sounded nasty.
AzPete is offline  
Old 1/4/12, 02:15 PM
  #6  
I Have No Life
 
FromZto5's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 24, 2011
Posts: 10,107
Received 168 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
My wife left a candy wrapper in the passenger door pouch......sounded nasty.
Ewwww you allow food in your car??? Hehehe...
FromZto5 is offline  
Old 1/4/12, 02:15 PM
  #7  
Bullitt Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 12, 2011
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
My wife left a candy wrapper in the passenger door pouch......sounded nasty.
I used to put my cd's in that door pouch and the rattling was unbearable lol, matter of fact, I'm going to try cleaning out the door pouches of debris and see if the rattling gets better at all

Last edited by Will3212; 1/4/12 at 02:16 PM.
Will3212 is offline  
Old 1/5/12, 05:34 PM
  #8  
Bullitt Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 12, 2011
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linelock View Post
I covered the back of my door panels with dinomat. It helped a lot.

Ill never understand how Ford engineers thought that mounting a 8" woofer on a plastic door panel instead of the steel door framing was a good idea. And did they never turn the system over 70 db in testing?
is it possible to just stick dynamat outside of the door panel or outside on the circular woofer trim? I'm uncomfortable opening up the door panel myself.
Will3212 is offline  
Old 1/5/12, 06:16 PM
  #9  
Cobra Member
 
AzPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 7, 2010
Location: Panama City, Fl.
Posts: 1,124
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
is it possible to just stick dynamat outside of the door panel or outside on the circular woofer trim? I'm uncomfortable opening up the door panel myself.
Be kinda like wearing you underwear outside the jeans....might function but looks like crap.

Door panel is childs play to remove......
AzPete is offline  
Old 1/5/12, 06:25 PM
  #10  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!
 
houtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 2, 2004
Location: Insane
Posts: 5,698
Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts
In case this matters to anyone...

I've yet to find the bass induces rattle from the right rear window area (I think it's in the trunk) that is caused by Tron Legacy Track 11, Nocturne, about the 30 second mark...

But I *DID* find them in my doors, and that was the little covers going behind the latch pull and the grab bar.

My solution was to get a couple of small squares of velcro, attach the fuzzy (not the bristly) side to the door panel (NOT the covers) and... voila. Solved.

/Among the other things I gotta do, I still gotta crawl around the trunk to find that one last rattle...
//Oh, oops... another 10-14 thread. Well, maybe it'll help anyway.
///I keep forgetting to look where they're posted... Meh.
houtex is offline  
Old 1/5/12, 08:34 PM
  #11  
Bullitt Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 12, 2011
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
In case this matters to anyone...

I've yet to find the bass induces rattle from the right rear window area (I think it's in the trunk) that is caused by Tron Legacy Track 11, Nocturne, about the 30 second mark...

But I *DID* find them in my doors, and that was the little covers going behind the latch pull and the grab bar.

My solution was to get a couple of small squares of velcro, attach the fuzzy (not the bristly) side to the door panel (NOT the covers) and... voila. Solved.

/Among the other things I gotta do, I still gotta crawl around the trunk to find that one last rattle...
//Oh, oops... another 10-14 thread. Well, maybe it'll help anyway.
///I keep forgetting to look where they're posted... Meh.
I want to try that. I'll buy some velcro and put the fuzzy part on the doors. Can you be more specific and possibly take a picture of where exactly you put the fuzzy part of the velcro. Did you put them like below the door pouch or where?

Last edited by Will3212; 1/5/12 at 08:36 PM.
Will3212 is offline  
Old 1/5/12, 08:50 PM
  #12  
Cobra Member
 
AzPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 7, 2010
Location: Panama City, Fl.
Posts: 1,124
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
On the 05-09 body style, the small panels under the interior door handles tended to rattle. My '07 GT did the same. Had to pull the door panels (I think) to fix it all. Not sure if that area is an issue on the 10+ (never read that it was). Easy to check.....turn the radio to where you hear the vibration....then put a finger on the panel and press tighter to the door and see if the vibration stops.

If you just pull the door panels and do the suggested fixes, you will most likely solve your problems. Seems you are looking for a simple, stick this here on the door type fix. when there is not one.
AzPete is offline  
Old 1/6/12, 07:23 AM
  #13  
Ford Customer Service Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 25, 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 5,279
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
I have a 2012 mustang gt with the stock shaker 500 system. In the sound settings I have the bass and treble turned up to max with the balance and fade in the middle, it is set to "driver seat". I made a thread about a week ago about a blown subwoofer in my front passenger door. I tried figuring out the problem just an hour ago and I realized that when the door is opened the door rattles below the arm rest. The woofers in the doors make the doors vibrate and this causes a rattling noise.
Hey Will3212,

Id like to escalate this for you. Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
FordService is offline  
Old 1/6/12, 05:23 PM
  #14  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!
 
houtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 2, 2004
Location: Insane
Posts: 5,698
Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
I want to try that. I'll buy some velcro and put the fuzzy part on the doors. Can you be more specific and possibly take a picture of where exactly you put the fuzzy part of the velcro. Did you put them like below the door pouch or where?
Don't think pics will matter, but the little panels pop off with very little prying with a small screwdriver, or maybe even a plastic knife.. whatever feels safer.

The panels are the one behind the door pull. It just pops off.

The other one is the one behind the door panel grab bar, just above the map pocket (if you wanna call that small area that.. Teeny thing.)

When you get the panels off, it becomes obvious how the velcro dots/squares would be put in there... they would just be 'bumpers' for the small panels to rest against.

When you put the panels back on, they'll be a little more firm and should not move about like they did before, hence, no more rattles. Yay and stuff.

Oh, yeah, they sell these velcro squares everywhere. Dots would also work. No more than about a thumbnail in size or so. They come in pairs, but you'll just be tossin' the bristly sides, and they come pre-adhesived. Just peel and stick. You COULD put the velcro on the panels themselves, but I chose the other way. Easier to determine where NOT to put them, after all, for screw/bolt access needs.

Now, this IS on a 2006 Mustang, so your 10+ might have a slightly different idea on the panels. But that's all there is to it.

Last edited by houtex; 1/6/12 at 05:24 PM.
houtex is offline  
Old 1/10/12, 06:40 PM
  #15  
GT Member
 
TwistedKarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 23, 2011
Posts: 114
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford knows about it, theres nothing they will do. Oh and by the way, Deysha, your escalation did nothing for my sound issue. They were just concerned with the squeaking coming from my axle. I can't say I am surprised though. I'm left with getting a custom sound place to fix the mess Ford made.
TwistedKarma is offline  
Old 1/11/12, 01:02 AM
  #16  
Bullitt Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 12, 2011
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
Don't think pics will matter, but the little panels pop off with very little prying with a small screwdriver, or maybe even a plastic knife.. whatever feels safer.

The panels are the one behind the door pull. It just pops off.

The other one is the one behind the door panel grab bar, just above the map pocket (if you wanna call that small area that.. Teeny thing.)

When you get the panels off, it becomes obvious how the velcro dots/squares would be put in there... they would just be 'bumpers' for the small panels to rest against.

When you put the panels back on, they'll be a little more firm and should not move about like they did before, hence, no more rattles. Yay and stuff.

Oh, yeah, they sell these velcro squares everywhere. Dots would also work. No more than about a thumbnail in size or so. They come in pairs, but you'll just be tossin' the bristly sides, and they come pre-adhesived. Just peel and stick. You COULD put the velcro on the panels themselves, but I chose the other way. Easier to determine where NOT to put them, after all, for screw/bolt access needs.

Now, this IS on a 2006 Mustang, so your 10+ might have a slightly different idea on the panels. But that's all there is to it.
thanks for the post. I decided to buy dynamat and have my local shop put it in. hopefully this takes care of the problem
Will3212 is offline  
Old 1/11/12, 04:36 AM
  #17  
Mach 1 Member
 
Indystang's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 16, 2004
Location: Greenfield In.
Posts: 851
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=AzPete;6215312]On the 05-09 body style, the small panels under the interior door handles tended to rattle. My '07 GT did the same. Had to pull the door panels (I think) to fix it all.

Mine is loose too. Hope to fix it without doing all that though.
Indystang is offline  
Old 1/11/12, 07:19 AM
  #18  
Ford Customer Service Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 25, 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 5,279
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TwistedKarma View Post
Ford knows about it, theres nothing they will do. Oh and by the way, Deysha, your escalation did nothing for my sound issue. They were just concerned with the squeaking coming from my axle. I can't say I am surprised though. I'm left with getting a custom sound place to fix the mess Ford made.
Thank you for the update, TwistedKarma. I see here your CSM is waiting on you to make another appointment with your dealer to address both of your concerns and has a call back to you set up for Friday. Things will get resolved for you. Please continue to work with your CSM.

Deysha
FordService is offline  
Old 1/11/12, 07:47 PM
  #19  
GT Member
 
TwistedKarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 23, 2011
Posts: 114
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Thank you for the update, TwistedKarma. I see here your CSM is waiting on you to make another appointment with your dealer to address both of your concerns and has a call back to you set up for Friday. Things will get resolved for you. Please continue to work with your CSM.

Deysha
I see your notes aren't updated. Let me go ahead and fill you in. I dropped my Mustang off at a local dealership two days ago. When asked about the sound system they questioned me, then when on to explain the squeaking was the only issue they were informed about. Customer Relations authorized me to get a rental car which they covered for the time I was to be without my car. I went ahead and did that. Yesterday I received a phone call stating my car was ready and they'd like me to come in and test drive it with a tech. Due to work I couldn't go until today. This morning I woke up, dropped off my rental car and got a ride to the dealership. They told me they found a gas tank strap loose which they believed to be causing the rattle. So, willing to accept that, me and the technician hop in the car for a spin around the block. The second I turn out of the dealership the noise happens. The tech said, and I quote "What the hell is that" as he rolled down my window to get a better understanding of where it was coming from. My ride around the blocked turned into a 5 minute drive in an attempt to pinpoint the issue. I left the dealership with no car, unanswered questions and more frustration. They said they'll call me once they know something. The customer relations manager - Mario - called me an hour later to say the same thing. So now I have a mechanical issue, as well as my unaddressed shaker 500 rattle.
TwistedKarma is offline  
Old 1/12/12, 09:43 AM
  #20  
Ford Customer Service Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 25, 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 5,279
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TwistedKarma View Post
I see your notes aren't updated.
You're correct, TwistedKarma. The system gets updated by your CSM when he speaks to you or your dealer. He will make sure you're taken care of.

Deysha
FordService is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with the shaker 500 system getting a rattle in the door?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.