Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Anti Theft System error--will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/13, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti Theft System error--will not start!

Today I tried to start my car, and the Anti Theft Device is preventing me from doing so. I tried another key and got the same issue.

I have a 2012 V6 Mustang with the COA package. It only has 9k miles on it. Before this issue, my voice command just stopped working out of nowhere (I'd press the button for voice command, then nothing would happen).... and now I just noticed my horn sounds odd/quiet/short when I press my lock button twice on the remote key.

I've tried a few of the "fixes" listed on this forum but thought I'd open up my own.

I have a video, but it won't let me upload it here.
ATS Error when I try to start:
Horn issue:
Attached Thumbnails Anti Theft System error--will not start!-fuses.jpg  
Old 7/28/13, 10:27 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You already try unplugging the battery for a little bit?

Did you do anything significant before this happened?

Still under warranty?
Old 7/28/13, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Your car is under warranty. A trip to the dealer is free.
Old 7/28/13, 10:46 AM

problem is I live in Germany so if there is a fix I can do, then I need to do it... I tried unplugging the connectors from the battery posts for 15 mins and same problem. Also tried holding down the lock button while switching from off to on.
Old 7/28/13, 10:46 AM

I did not do anything significant that I can recall. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 7/28/13, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
You already try unplugging the battery for a little bit?

Did you do anything significant before this happened?

Still under warranty?
problem is I live in Germany so if there is a fix I can do, then I need to do it... I tried unplugging the connectors from the battery posts for 15 mins and same problem. Also tried holding down the lock button while switching from off to on.

I did nothing out of the ordinary that I think would cause this except drive to and from work.
Old 7/28/13, 11:09 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a wild thought... while cleaning/checking under the hood did you by accident unhook one of the horns? Since they are part of the alarm system maybe if one is unhooked it causes a problem?
Old 7/28/13, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

I would hit up Deysha with Ford customer service because I recall a post by her saying there was places people overseas could go to get warranty service. Seems like the simple things like unplugging the battery and trying different keys aren't working. Seems like an issue that doesn't have a quick fix. Bad sensor somewhere?
Old 7/28/13, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Couple of things I would check--- Load test battery; Clean and check battery posts and connectors; Check at BJB {battery junction box} for loose terminal connections; Check the Hood Switch to make sure it's grounding correctly when the hood is down; You might want to check for loose connectors at the SJB {smart junction box} as my wiring diagrams show your troubled circuits run through it.
Old 7/29/13, 12:56 AM

I had a fun weekend putting in a CS grill, lower fog lights, and illuminating sills.
Fun until it wouldn't start when it was all together. I disconnected the battery several times today during the sill lights install - it looks like the VSP security system went **** up. Every thing works except the starter. I had it towed to the dealer. No service guys there on Sundays - I'll post an update when they find the problem.
Old 7/29/13, 10:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by matt0718
Today I tried to start my car, and the Anti Theft Device is preventing me from doing so. I tried another key and got the same issue.
I have a 2012 V6 Mustang. It only has 9k miles on it. Before this issue, my voice command just stopped working out of nowhere (I'd press the button for voice command, then nothing would happen).... and now I just noticed my horn sounds odd/quiet/short when I press my lock button twice on the remote key.

I've tried a few of the "fixes" listed on this forum but thought I'd open up my own.
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I would hit up Deysha with Ford customer service because I recall a post by her saying there was places people overseas could go to get warranty service.
Hello matt0718,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. As Ajcruz1 mentioned, we’ve made arrangements with the Overseas Military Sales Corporation (OMSC) to assist with service-related issues. OMSC can help you find a participating service center, which will be able to assist you in administering warranties, Ford Extended Service Plans, recalls and customer satisfaction programs. Please contact them at 1-800-669-6183 or 9-011-49-6173-704-256. I hope this helps.

Deysha
Old 7/31/13, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lime GT
Couple of things I would check--- Load test battery; Clean and check battery posts and connectors; Check at BJB {battery junction box} for loose terminal connections; Check the Hood Switch to make sure it's grounding correctly when the hood is down; You might want to check for loose connectors at the SJB {smart junction box} as my wiring diagrams show your troubled circuits run through it.
Just wanted to let everyone know that the problem was just simply a "dead" - ish battery. The German Ford Mechanic told me that the ATS needs alot of power in order to do its checks, and since I had a bad battery (even though the car was under 9K miles), that is was it was looking like there was an ATS error. Replaced the battery, car is fine....for now.
Old 8/7/13, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by tezz
I had a fun weekend putting in a CS grill, lower fog lights, and illuminating sills.
Fun until it wouldn't start when it was all together. I disconnected the battery several times today during the sill lights install - it looks like the VSP security system went **** up. Every thing works except the starter. I had it towed to the dealer. No service guys there on Sundays - I'll post an update when they find the problem.
Forgot to update - problem was the security VSP - it took their alarm guy about 10 minutes to fix it - but the service rep wasn't sure what it was. At least it didn't cost me anything but inconvenience.