Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Airbag Light on Failed Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/17, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Light on Failed Inspection

Help! My 05 mustang failed inspection for an airbag light. They told me they couldnt do anything & take it to the dealer. So I did. I had gotten letters about airbag recalls so I assumed thats what needed to be fixed. I spoke to a guy at the dealership and he tells me that they don't have the parts for that recall and they can only get them on an emergency basis. Well I am in Virginia and only have 15 days for reinspection seems like an emergency to me. I bring the car in and the guy tells me its not the recall its a seatbelt retractor assembly issue and that its going to cost me $925 bucks to fix it!!! I know that they are trying to scam me hardcore! The seatbelts work and why would the airbag light be on if the seatbelt assembly had an issue? I know afew mechanics and they told me what he was trying to charge me was insane and that it should be under warranty for that airbag light but they won't help me. I dont know what to do now. I hope someone can help me please.
Old 4/22/17, 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Go to another dealer or Buy a cde scanner that does SRS. Get the codes and fix it yourself. I had an 06 and they have had their airbags recalled 2 times. Yours should have been replaced already. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
slayerkillshot (4/22/17)
Old 4/22/17, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
The air bag light has nothing to do with the recall, you have a different issue causing the light. It wont be under warranty unless somehow you are still covered under a bumper to bumper warranty. What did the deal want to replace? Pieces of the system like the clock sping are expensive to replace.
The following users liked this post:
slayerkillshot (4/22/17)
Old 4/22/17, 02:50 PM

The dealer wants to replace seatbelt retractor assembly fore $925 dollars. I dont trust that thats the issue.
Old 4/22/17, 02:52 PM

The dealer wont replace it and i find it very odd like that location is just trying to scam me out of $900 bucks. Thanks. I will see if i can get a code and go from there.
Old 4/27/17, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I had an airbag light on for the longest time in my 06, What fixed it for me is using a VCM II tool and rezeroing and recalibrating the passenger side seat bladder for the airbag turn off. then clearing all DTC.