Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Melting wires on positive battery terminal

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/17, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melting wires on positive battery terminal

Need a little bit of help here, I'm trying to figure out why some wires off the positive side of the battery terminal are melting. This weekend i went to do an HID install, and the relay harness provided to was at fault (according to the seller after i brought up issues with him.)

What happened:
With the hid kit installed, they worked fine with the key in the power position, but when i actually started the motor, the lights went out, and one bright bulb was on. I went to back up the car and it stalled... my car is auto. this was a major red flag there so i switched the lights off and it seemed fine, i drove it down the street to my house for the night using only fogs. It seemed that the motor would still try to cut out with them on. The next day i ripped off the kit, and noticed the rubber cover over the positive terminal was melting, and also the tape on a wire that leads directly to the engine bay fuse box. I exchanged the kit for a simpler LED kit as i was going through the relay with the seller at it seemed the manufacturer did not properly cover two wires, and a positive and negative were in contact, which blew the fuse as it should. The LED's i received were plug and play, no harness and are working perfectly. I still feel like there is some melting occurring, i'm going to reinstall the stock bulbs and check if there is heat.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen with an HID or LED kit? Also, what would be a resolution to this issue? I replaced the blown fuse, but what would cause this issue to occur after i removed the faulty product??

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!