Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Air Bag Problems

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/15, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Air Bag Problems

Just found out Mustangs, including ours, have been added to the list of vehicles with faulty air bags. Called my dealer ship who confirmed this. They told me that owners will get a letter from Ford with instructions. They were not sure when replacement air bags will be available.

News seems to show very low (No death or injury is low) considering the millions of defective air bags out there.

Just a Heads UP
Old 6/2/15, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I read that it will take the manufacturer, using all its resources, two and a half years to source materials and make the necessary parts.
Old 6/10/15, 05:59 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is getting replaced right now.
Old 6/10/15, 06:42 AM
GT Member

So I just got called back to the service desk. So apparently they ordered the airbag. But it's the one that is affected. They told me they have no time frame of when the new ones will be available. He gave me a card and told me that they will give me a free oil change for my inconvenience.
Old 6/11/15, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I have both my Mustangs on the recall. They expect to have the parts in by the end of July and will call me back in then.
Old 6/11/15, 03:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Called the dealer... They had no information, and instructed me to call the 800 number. The rep gave me no new information. When I asked if it was dangerous, she said the car was "drivable." !!!

It turns out the call center is in Manila.

When I buy a Mustang, I do it partly because I know it is a US/UAW-made product. Interesting that Ford is having problems with Chinese transmissions, Japanese airbags... and is now outsourcing customer service.

Not impressed...
Old 6/11/15, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabbi Mike
Called the dealer... They had no information, and instructed me to call the 800 number. The rep gave me no new information. When I asked if it was dangerous, she said the car was "drivable." !!!

It turns out the call center is in Manila.

When I buy a Mustang, I do it partly because I know it is a US/UAW-made product. Interesting that Ford is having problems with Chinese transmissions, Japanese airbags... and is now outsourcing customer service.

Not impressed...
We live in a global economy. Parts are made all over the world and assembly happens all over the world. Cars.com does a ranking every year of all the cars sold here, based on how much of the content is truly from the US. Last year, 7 of the top 10 weren't even American brands and 2 of the 3 top 3 (Camry and Honda Odyssey, with the F-150 at #1) are Japanese: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....op&subject=ami.

My point is, just because something is made in another country doesn't mean it's automatically inferior. Suppliers, no matter where they are located, build stuff to the spec of the company ordering them (Ford) unless there's a deal like this Takata one, which is a pretty extraordinary occurrence. So if you want to curse someone, curse Ford. They spec'd and approved the parts.
Old 6/15/15, 08:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
We live in a global economy. Parts are made all over the world and assembly happens all over the world. Cars.com does a ranking every year of all the cars sold here, based on how much of the content is truly from the US. Last year, 7 of the top 10 weren't even American brands and 2 of the 3 top 3 (Camry and Honda Odyssey, with the F-150 at #1) are Japanese: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....op&subject=ami.

My point is, just because something is made in another country doesn't mean it's automatically inferior. Suppliers, no matter where they are located, build stuff to the spec of the company ordering them (Ford) unless there's a deal like this Takata one, which is a pretty extraordinary occurrence. So if you want to curse someone, curse Ford. They spec'd and approved the parts.
True to a degree. How many cases of Chineese companies changing things from specs do you need? They put poison in baby formula as filler, poison in prescription drugs as filler, and let standards and specs slide so they can maximize profits. Yes we are in a global economy now but if we do business with 1st world countries then we should expect better products and results.
Old 6/15/15, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
When you get your next flu shot be sure to ask it the vaccine was made in China. The WHO just approved it.
Old 6/15/15, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by keltymd
True to a degree. How many cases of Chineese companies changing things from specs do you need? They put poison in baby formula as filler, poison in prescription drugs as filler, and let standards and specs slide so they can maximize profits. Yes we are in a global economy now but if we do business with 1st world countries then we should expect better products and results.
And nothing like that has ever happened anywhere else?
Old 6/15/15, 11:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
And nothing like that has ever happened anywhere else?
It may have but the frequency from China and other third world countries with exceedingly lax oversight is much above the rest of the modern world.
Old 6/16/15, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It may have but the frequency from China and other third world countries with exceedingly lax oversight is much above the rest of the modern world.
...reportedly.
Old 6/16/15, 12:20 PM
GT Member

Let me guess you guys are in your 20s or 30s. Do some research. In the 80s when things were made here and other major countries we didnt have all the recall and other problems they worked and we lived when we ate the food and took the drugs we needed
Old 6/16/15, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked with Ford Customer Service today about my lack of AC and they mentioned that the airbag recall should be sent out to owners very soon (like within the month). They are in the process of accumulating new parts to fill the order.
Old 6/17/15, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Let me guess you guys are in your 20s or 30s. Do some research. In the 80s when things were made here and other major countries we didnt have all the recall and other problems they worked and we lived when we ate the food and took the drugs we needed
Please tell me all about the quality of American-built cars in the 1980's...
Old 7/7/15, 05:16 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just curious; anyone have their air bags replaced recently ?
Old 7/7/15, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Nada man. Not even a letter.
Old 7/7/15, 06:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs down I am ignoring this recall

Just like the last one.
Unnecessary for my situation.
Old 7/16/15, 09:21 AM
MLM

My wife took her 2012 GT in to the dealer for an oil change and they performed the airbag inflator recall. We did not receive any notice in the mail, so it was unexpected. The service advisor told my wife that the recall has not been announced yet. The oil change, a state inspection and the recall work all took less than an hour. I believe all they are replacing is the inflator for the driver side airbag, but not the entire air bag.
Old 7/21/15, 11:11 AM
V6 Member

I am in my 50's and the quality of American made cars were pretty bad in the 80's & just starting to get better towards the end of the 90's, but I will tell you this, all the crap that I buy in stores that is made from China, lasts half the time as things that I have bought that is made in the USA. Even the CFL's that are suppose to last 7 years and all made in China are now breaking at the 2-3 year mark and they are all made there now.
Its all garbage from China..

Quick Reply: Air Bag Problems