Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

After Rear Bumper Replaced, Doesn't Appear to Sit Right

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/15, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Rear Bumper Replaced, Doesn't Appear to Sit Right

About one year and one month ago, a drunk driver drove their vehicle into my (closed) garage during the night. Photo 01 shows the damage that night, and photo 02 shows my 2013 Mustang, and some of the damage it sustained.

The driver's insurance covered everything. I took my friend here to the Ford dealership where I bought her (new car, I had ordered her built from the factory - not one I drove off the lot), and their body shop purchased new OEM parts, they removed parts of the body, redid all of the paint... they really did a good job. For the most part.

It took months for the insurance to allow me to get those fixes done, and by that time it was Fall. I noticed something at this time. The rear bumper cover, which was completely replaced, didn't appear to sit right. There is a gap between the bumper and the trunk of the car, and the groove of the taillights do not sit properly on the bumper.

I took the vehicle back to the Ford dealership, and showed them the issue. They suggested that the plastic clips that hold the bumper cover weren't tight enough. A little while later, I got the vehicle back. The gap was smaller - but still there.

By this time, it was nearly winter, and I was fed up, so I put the vehicle away for the winter like I normally do.

This spring, I was out of town for work quite a bit, and as soon as I was back consistently (the past few weeks), I took the Mustang back to the dealership and asked them again to fix the issue.

After a day of holding onto it, they told me that this is normal, and that other 2012 and 2013 models on their lot had the same gap. I strongly disagree with them, as I have friends with 2012 and 2013 models, and no one has this issue.

At one point, I mentioned beyond the aesthetics, that rainwater can drip into here as well, just as a demonstration that this is not how the vehicle should look - so while the dealership had the vehicle, they put some weather stripping on the inside of the bumper. So now the water will pool there instead of dripping through. I probably should have never mentioned that.

I'm not sure what to do. My vehicle is still under the original warranty (until August), and the body shop does cover repairs for "the lifetime" of the vehicle supposedly. But they're saying that in their eyes, the work is done. Maybe I'm crazy, but that looks incomplete to me. Maybe the bumper isn't properly built. Maybe the clips underneath holding it in place can be adjusted. But clearly, it's not fitting together, and that is not how it should look.

What can I do about this?
Attached Thumbnails After Rear Bumper Replaced, Doesn't Appear to Sit Right-01.jpg   After Rear Bumper Replaced, Doesn't Appear to Sit Right-02.jpg   After Rear Bumper Replaced, Doesn't Appear to Sit Right-03.jpg   After Rear Bumper Replaced, Doesn't Appear to Sit Right-04.jpg   After Rear Bumper Replaced, Doesn't Appear to Sit Right-05.jpg  

Old 5/26/15, 09:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh my word! Someone would be slapped if I had the same thing happen.

And yes, your bumper was not fitted correctly. Not a biggie just annoying if your a working soul.

Take it back to the shop and let them realign it. Those sloppy bastids.
Old 5/26/15, 09:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
P.s ask yourself..did my car have that gap before the accident? I think not.

That body shop needs a slapping to insult your intelligence that they are factory made that way. You need raise hell.

Bring photos of cars or direct them to cars on the lot. Put it back on them.

How sloppy!!
Old 5/26/15, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
P.s ask yourself..did my car have that gap before the accident? I think not.

That body shop needs a slapping to insult your intelligence that they are factory made that way. You need raise hell.

Bring photos of cars or direct them to cars on the lot. Put it back on them.

How sloppy!!
You are right on.

I never understood just because they put the part on and it is bolted up does not mean that it is right. The cover just might be bad.

I would leave it with them and let them know you are not picking it up till it is right.

Call Ford Customer service and lodge a complaint. PM Deysha for assistance. She will help.

Good Luck Why do we have to keep bringing our cars back!!

Last edited by Jazzman442; 5/26/15 at 09:47 PM.
Old 5/27/15, 01:23 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dontOverSteer
About one year and one month ago, a drunk driver drove their vehicle into my (closed) garage during the night. Photo 01 shows the damage that night, and photo 02 shows my 2013 Mustang, and some of the damage it sustained. ...
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
... Call Ford Customer service and lodge a complaint. PM Deysha for assistance. She will help.

Good Luck Why do we have to keep bringing our cars back!!
Hello dontOverSteer,

You should address this with the body shop manager at your Ford Dealer. Also, as Jazzman442 mentioned, I’m happy to document this experience for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Thanks for the mention, Jazzman442!

Deysha
Old 5/29/15, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone. I'll be following the advice posted here.