Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

adhesive on back decklid failing?

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/12, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adhesive on back decklid failing?

The middle of the adhesive on back decklid is not sticking. I am going to wait a little while to see what its going to do. It does have two screws that hold it on so i don't think it will fall off. Should i just take it to the dealership? Anyone else notice this?
Attached Thumbnails adhesive on back decklid failing?-007.jpg   adhesive on back decklid failing?-006.jpg   adhesive on back decklid failing?-005.jpg  
Old 6/6/12, 09:01 PM
GT Member

My right side started to come off but I pushed it in and it seems to be staying in place. For now....
Old 6/7/12, 01:53 AM
Bullitt Member

"quality is job 1"
Old 6/7/12, 04:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's still under warranty, then there's no question about it; yes, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. If it continues to fail, keep taking it back. This way you'll have paperwork on it if/when it fails again after the warranty expires, and you'll have a great case to have it repaired after that too.
Old 6/7/12, 07:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The the keyless entry piece on the door pillar of my Taurus has come unstuck at the top also. I was a little surprised to see that it's just stuck on there.
Old 6/7/12, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

Mine is doing the same thing, I will be going back to the dealer to have it fixed when I get time.
Old 6/12/12, 12:51 PM
GT Member

Well i took it to dealer. All 2013s do not have adhesive in the top middle above the GT or pony logo. I don't know why and neither did the service guys. we checked several on their lot and all did the same thing. if you push in at top middle it pops back out and does not stick.
Old 6/12/12, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by erouch
Well i took it to dealer. All 2013s do not have adhesive in the top middle above the GT or pony logo. I don't know why and neither did the service guys. we checked several on their lot and all did the same thing. if you push in at top middle it pops back out and does not stick.
I haven't noticed it on mine yet but as soon as I do it's going to the nearest dealer, probably Pearson... Where did you take it?
Old 6/12/12, 01:08 PM
GT Member

i took it to ray skillman. apparently that is how they are made. Check yours and see if it doesn't stick in the middle. All the ones we checked on skillmans lot did it so i think thats just how they are.
Old 6/12/12, 01:10 PM
GT Member

Also, I ordered my first mod last night. Grabber Pony shift **** in sterling grey.
Old 6/12/12, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Also, I ordered my first mod last night. Grabber Pony shift **** in sterling grey.
Dang, I'll def have to keep a close eye on mine but it looks like it's still stickin! You'll def have to post pics of that shift **** when you get it, I like the looks of the Grabber Pony *****... I've done the GT500 spoiler, Roush side splitters, MGW shifter, painted my rotor hats and vanes, and I think I'm gonna order Roush axlebacks tomorrow! I can't stop finding things to do!
Old 6/12/12, 02:22 PM

Mine is two weeks old and the middle is as you describe. there's definitely some sort of foam backing to the black plastic plate, so there is not a visible air gap between the plastic plate and the trunk lid (but you can see the foam backing). It does push in slightly and pop back out at the top middle like the foam backing is just padding and not double sided tape......if that makes sense.
Old 6/12/12, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, Ford has no "fix" for this? I think I'd be requesting that Ford create a TSB to resolve this issue.

Most likely some of that black, thin, industrial 3M tape, not the white stuff we can buy in a role will hold it. It works great on the other trim and emblem pieces.
Old 6/12/12, 02:48 PM
GT Member

Yes the middle may be foam only and the sides are sticky.
Old 6/12/12, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

fyi since I removed my stock blackout panel&replaced it with a cdc emblemless panel over the weekend.
The 2013 mustangs stock blackout doesn't use any kind of adhesive.
It is simply held in with 12 push in type connectors like the interior panels use and the two t-15 screws on the inner lower sides of the trunk.
That tape you are looking at is there to protect the paint from the blackout rubbing against the trunk and marring your factory finish.
Old 6/12/12, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 3.73-11
fyi since I removed my stock blackout panel&replaced it with a cdc emblemless panel over the weekend.
The 2013 mustangs stock blackout doesn't use any kind of adhesive.
It is simply held in with 12 push in type connectors like the interior panels use and the two t-15 screws on the inner lower sides of the trunk.
That tape you are looking at is there to protect the paint from the blackout rubbing against the trunk and marring your factory finish.
Excellent, thanks for the details. So that makes sense with what I saw....no tape and no worries then for anyone.
Old 6/13/12, 09:14 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the info. I think that makes since. That's why the sides are a bit tighter than the middle because the main screws are on the sides.
Old 10/13/12, 04:14 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

I have what may be kind of a similar problem with the trim along the top of the quarter panel on my '13 convertible (apologies for the terrible picture):

It looks like it was stuck down with some kind of white adhesive which is separating. The 2011 Service Manual that's available online indicates that a lot of trim and weatherstripping was attached with "Trim and Weatherstrip Adhesive TA-14-A." Do you think that the 3M tape mentioned uptopic would be the best way to repair this?

Thanks.
Old 10/13/12, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Who cares? From a few feet away its not even noticeable. Mine looks just like the pics above and it doesn't phase me a bit. I'm too busy driving it.
Old 10/19/12, 05:21 PM

No surprise really, wait till the summer heat gets hold of it.
Black high gloss plastic the best material to show spider scratches.

Quick Reply: adhesive on back decklid failing?