Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Accidental Neutral Drop/ Rev Drop - Unexpected behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/13, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accidental Neutral Drop/ Rev Drop - Unexpected behaviour

Car involved : 2013 Mustang V6 automatic - 2100 kms on the clock

Yesterday, was a fine day indeed and i felt like grabbing a big mac, after ages. So i drive into McD drive thru and stop behind a mini van to wait for my turn. Switched from D to N as i normally do when i am parked temporarily. After about 2 minutes, the van moves to the next window and naturally i press the brake to engage D to get the car in motion. BUT what i actually do is press the throttle (significantly), when the car is in N and shift to D the car roars, i figure out my stupidity and slip the car in N immediately (well sort of immediately). Rev the car a bit while in N to identify any weird damage sounds, couldn't hear any. So i engaged D and everything seemed fine.

It may just be my head playing up, but i think the performance has dropped since the incident. Its worth mentioning that when the car was new, the RPM sort of held up at 2000 for a short period of time, while flooring . This 'lag' or the hold up went away, when i put 2100 kms on the car. After which, the RPM shot up without any hesitation or hold up when the car was floored. However:

This lag / hold up seems to have returned after the incident. Any comments on what that could be?
How come the car only roared and remained stationary when i shifted N to D at a high RPM? I have heard stories about tire chirps and heavy clunks when the car is neutral dropped.
Could this incident affect the performance of my car? (its the first time its happened)
is there a way to find out if any damage actually occurred?

Your help is much appreciated. Cheers Guys
Old 3/26/13, 10:56 AM

Anything wrong with my post? :S
Old 3/26/13, 02:35 PM
GT Member

The only thing odd is you putting it in neutral in an automatic.
Old 3/26/13, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very strange indeed

Originally Posted by Numanshahid87
Anything wrong with my post? :S
Are you currently taking any meds?
Old 3/26/13, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your car is learning from you for the 1st 5000, it will adjust and re-adjust for a while. I would not worry about it if you don't hear anything mechanical. But I have to add why are you putting the auto in N while sitting??
Old 3/26/13, 02:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GreenCars
Your car is learning from you for the 1st 5000, it will adjust and re-adjust for a while. I would not worry about it if you don't hear anything mechanical. But I have to add why are you putting the auto in N while sitting??

He probably had someone tell him who had someone tell them who dreamed one night that doing that saves gas or is easier on the transmission or some other nonsensical crap.

sorry he is right though your car is learning shift points drive it how you would normally and it will sort itself.
Old 3/26/13, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteWinged

He probably had someone tell him who had someone tell them who dreamed one night that doing that saves gas or is easier on the transmission or some other nonsensical crap.

sorry he is right though your car is learning shift points drive it how you would normally and it will sort itself.
:headexploded:
Old 3/26/13, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
:headexploded:

INCEPTION lol
Old 3/26/13, 03:10 PM

Thank you for ur reply
Y am i putting it in neutral? No good reason, just to free the brakes (when the handbrake's pulled dat is, sumthing i picked driving stick shift in uk). Currently i reside in saudi, trust me the gas is least of my concerns.

So i m not shifting into N at a stop, i have established that. Just wana know as to why the car remained still even after D was engaged at high rpm, and whether any potential damage may have occurred?
Old 3/26/13, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you for ur reply
Y am i putting it in neutral? No good reason, just to free the brakes (when the handbrake's pulled dat is, sumthing i picked driving stick shift in uk). Currently i reside in saudi, trust me the gas is least of my concerns.

So i m not shifting into N at a stop, i have established that. Just wana know as to why the car remained still even after D was engaged at high rpm, and whether any potential damage may have occurred?
Not sure anyone is going to have a answer for this, I don't see any owners with auto's running out to their new Mustangs and trying it.. Again not sure how the computer looked at this action and what were the results as this is a one off thing. Continue to monitor your car for the remaining time before it hits the 5000 mark and contact Ford if you find a issue. Since this was operator error not sure if things did go bad that they would cover it if posed to them as you did us.
Old 3/26/13, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car just revved instead of clunking into gear and destroying your transmission. Probably some computer nanny doing its job and saving the drivetrain in the process.

Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 3/26/13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 3/26/13, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the computer saved your tranny. I remember reading somewhere that it will not engage over certain rpms.
Old 3/26/13, 05:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Long story short your car is most likely ok
Old 3/26/13, 07:00 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Just wana know as to why the car remained still even after D was engaged at high rpm, and whether any potential damage may have occurred?
Originally Posted by AzPete
I believe the computer saved your tranny. I remember reading somewhere that it will not engage over certain rpms.
I agree. There must be a sensor that reads what the engine speed/RPm range is when the stall converter is engaged and will not go into gear. You're really lucky you didn't do some good damage to your transmission/stall converter.
Old 3/27/13, 10:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
come on.. someone put their car in N, hit the rev limiter and shift to D

i wanna know if the computer will intervene or if the tranny comes though the floor!
Old 4/3/13, 09:18 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car involved : 2013 Mustang V6 automatic - 2100 kms on the clock

Yesterday, was a fine day indeed and i felt like grabbing a big mac, after ages. So i drive into McD drive thru and stop behind a mini van to wait for my turn. Switched from D to N as i normally do when i am parked temporarily. After about 2 minutes, the van moves to the next window and naturally i press the brake to engage D to get the car in motion. BUT what i actually do is press the throttle (significantly), when the car is in N and shift to D the car roars, i figure out my stupidity and slip the car in N immediately (well sort of immediately). Rev the car a bit while in N to identify any weird damage sounds, couldn't hear any. So i engaged D and everything seemed fine.

It may just be my head playing up, but i think the performance has dropped since the incident. Its worth mentioning that when the car was new, the RPM sort of held up at 2000 for a short period of time, while flooring . This 'lag' or the hold up went away, when i put 2100 kms on the car. After which, the RPM shot up without any hesitation or hold up when the car was floored. However:

This lag / hold up seems to have returned after the incident.
Hello Numanshahid87,

My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealer and make sure all is good with your ride. If you need further assistance, please contact our Middle East Customer Relationship Center at +971 (0) 4 3326084.

Deysha
Old 4/3/13, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by cinque35
come on.. someone put their car in N, hit the rev limiter and shift to D

i wanna know if the computer will intervene or if the tranny comes though the floor!
Now that would be a fine thing to see !!
Old 4/3/13, 09:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
As mentioned...computer nanny since 2005. Keeps you from doing stupid things that will destroy your car. If you're doing 100mph and throw it onto first gear, it's not gonna do it.