Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

6MT Transmission grinding

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/11, 06:12 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT Transmission grinding

Dropped the 11 off at the dealer last friday to get the transmission grinding looked at. They have verified that there IS a problem but are waiting to talk to Ford after the teardown for next steps. I PM's Deysha yesterday with the particulars in case there was some kind of holdup but i havent heard back (yet).
My car has a Mar 10 build date so it is an early model... Driving my blown 95 Cobra vert makes me appreciate how smooooooth the new cars are.... well, with the exception of the 6mt...
Old 12/7/11, 06:27 AM

You know what is funny? The T-5 in my 39k mile 92 LX 5.0 shifts better than than the M-82 in my 400 mile 12 Boss.
Old 12/7/11, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gobraphil
Dropped the 11 off at the dealer last friday to get the transmission grinding looked at. They have verified that there IS a problem but are waiting to talk to Ford after the teardown for next steps. I PM's Deysha yesterday with the particulars in case there was some kind of holdup but i havent heard back (yet).
My car has a Mar 10 build date so it is an early model... Driving my blown 95 Cobra vert makes me appreciate how smooooooth the new cars are.... well, with the exception of the 6mt...
thats the same build date as my 11. how many miles do you have on it, and has it been an issue the whole time or all of a sudden? good luck.
Old 12/7/11, 12:20 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I got your PM, gobraphil. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 12/8/11, 05:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I got your PM, gobraphil. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
thanks. I know with the forum being down, your response time might be slower than normal.

my t5 in my 100k mile cobra does have a more positive feel than the mt-. Once i get this issue resolved, i will invest in an mgw shifter.

I have only had the car for 4 months (24k miles when i bought it)and the cold weather has brought the grinding to the front...
Sure did feel nice when the dealer asked if i had done any modifications, i could answer "NOPE"!
Old 12/8/11, 09:49 AM

thanks. I know with the forum being down, your response time might be slower than normal.
I sent you a PM, gobraphil!

Deysha
Old 12/14/11, 08:50 PM
GT Member

still no car. Had to order a 2nd gear synchro hub or something and there was none in the US or something. Finally got one monday but they called today and said they werent happy with the results. They did provide me a rental after a week in the shop (i assume with some input from our good friend deysha..) Anyway, i wish they would just put in a new one built with the new specs and be done with it. Friday will be 2 weeks.... Im 100% confident they will get it right though...
Old 12/15/11, 06:45 AM

still no car. Had to order a 2nd gear synchro hub or something and there was none in the US or something. Finally got one monday but they called today and said they werent happy with the results. They did provide me a rental after a week in the shop (i assume with some input from our good friend deysha..) Anyway, i wish they would just put in a new one built with the new specs and be done with it. Friday will be 2 weeks.... Im 100% confident they will get it right though...
Oh my, gobraphil! Don’t worry, you’ll have your ride back before you know it. If you have any questions PM me.

Deysha
Old 12/21/11, 06:53 PM
GT Member

Ok, got the car back and it is definitely "better" but i still have intermittent clunking/grinding into 2nd. It's just not repeatable/predictable. The issue seems to be worse when it get colder. Temps in the 60s this week so ill wait till it gets colder beofer i pass final judgement.
Thanks Deysha for all the help...
Old 12/21/11, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, got the car back and it is definitely "better" but i still have intermittent clunking/grinding into 2nd. It's just not repeatable/predictable. The issue seems to be worse when it get colder. Temps in the 60s this week so ill wait till it gets colder beofer i pass final judgement.
According to Ford its normal. Get used to it and live with it. If you dont believe me then contest it..

Lemon it out and file charges. Ford is full of sh@@.

The MT 82 Chinese debacle is not over just yet despite the nthsb. Stay tuned.

Its quality control out of China. Its so hit and miss that it cant be predicted..
Old 12/21/11, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are they sure that's all that's wrong? Did they inspect all the gears and the bearings?
Old 12/21/11, 11:09 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Mach1
According to Ford its normal. Get used to it and live with it. If you dont believe me then contest it..

Lemon it out and file charges. Ford is full of sh@@.

The MT 82 Chinese debacle is not over just yet despite the nthsb. Stay tuned.

Its quality control out of China. Its so hit and miss that it cant be predicted..
are you chevy?
Old 12/22/11, 06:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
are you chevy?
yes. that would be him. please stay out of my thread unless you have something productive to add.
Ford has handled this better than i could imagine.
they replaced the synchro hub and it still wasnt like they wanted so they replaced something else (?). i have no doubts they will make it right...
Old 12/23/11, 07:22 AM

No problem, gobraphil! That's what I'm here for.

Deysha
Old 12/23/11, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since it warmed up, all the issues I had went away. No harm, no foul - glad I live so far south!!! It doesn't stay below 40 long...
Old 12/29/11, 12:05 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yes. that would be him. please stay out of my thread unless you have something productive to add.
Ford has handled this better than i could imagine.
they replaced the synchro hub and it still wasnt like they wanted so they replaced something else (?). i have no doubts they will make it right...
your mom
Old 1/8/12, 07:15 PM
GT Member

ok, the grinding has gotten worse again with the cold weather. i have an im to deysha to help out where she can...
i'll be taking it back in this week hopefully.
Old 1/9/12, 08:16 AM

ok, the grinding has gotten worse again with the cold weather. i have an im to deysha to help out where she can...
i'll be taking it back in this week hopefully.
Got your PM, gobraphil. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 3/6/12, 06:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Got your PM, gobraphil. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Ok, had the fluid changed and the 1-2 grinding problem is still there. It just isnt repeatable except it seems more prevalent during the 1st couple of shifts in the morning. I dropped it off Monday to see if they can reproduce the issue.

Part of me just wants to say "screw it" and live with it but then i have some friends riding and it goes 'grrrrrrinnndddd' and then have to listen to the "that's a Ford for ya".

Anyway, Ford and the dealer have been extremely helpful and seem to want to fix it.

Thanks Deysha...
Old 3/6/12, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

is there a % of cars that start grinding and having issues? is it the older 2011 models only or some 2012s also?

im assuming 2013 is using the same junk MT82, but i think they have changed the oil thickness or something to improve the grinds, but not so much improve the chines MT82

I figured ford will honor the warranty for 60k on the drivetrain, maybe ill get a couple new transmissions in the next 60k who knows, but i know ill be saving up for a T56 or a TKO600 in the long run.

Quick Reply: 6MT Transmission grinding