Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

5.0 with a whistle under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/11, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed a whistle under my hood about a week ago, it happens when I turn my AC on and it stops when RPM is at 1000 and starts at about 1500-2000. It doesn't seem to get that much loader with higher Rev but is noticeable. Has anyone had this problem? I took it to my dealer and set an appointment for Thursday

Last edited by hahnsolo78; 6/8/11 at 09:26 AM.
Old 6/8/11, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A> Vacuum Leak
B> AC compressor whine

Solution.. let ford deal with it..
Old 6/8/11, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not worried but I haven't heard of this issue so just wondering if I'm the only one I guess
Old 6/8/11, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I have heard similar noises on my boss. Dealer couldn't reproduce the sound and therefore did nothing.
Old 6/8/11, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by atrain1975
I have heard similar noises on my boss. Dealer couldn't reproduce the sound and therefore did nothing.
I took my car to the dealer Monday and they said we could not reproduce the sound. So I drive me car around the next two days until it started again and then drove it to the dealer while it was doing it, two suits were under the hood looking everywhere while I held the throttle at about 2000 rpm and they couldn't say what it was so I am dropping it off for further inspection. I do not have any modifications done to my drivetrain other then a gt500 axel back

Last edited by hahnsolo78; 6/9/11 at 08:51 AM.
Old 7/12/11, 10:15 AM

Whistling Noise under hood 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

Hello All;

YES, YES, YES... i've had the same issue. Once the car gets to operating temp, a slight whistling noise (almost sounds like a vacuum leak, OR pressure relief valve whistle)... I brought the car to the dealer AFTER i got the car to replicate the noise. Once i brought it in, they started it, and the noise began immediately. Just received a phone call, and the noise was traced down to the ALTERNATOR.

The noise tricks most...at first it is constant, but disappears when RPMS go under 1000, or when you accelerate. Definitely doesn't sound like a Metal on Metal (Bad Pulley) noise.

I went to the dealer, and they put the car in the air...the noise is coming from the alternator; But sounds like it's coming from the top of the motor when the car is on the ground.

I hope this helps anyone with this same issue; hopefully, it isn't going to be a trend with the new mustangs...
Old 7/12/11, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you very much, I have brought my car in a few times now and they haven't been able to replicate it once, sounds like the same thing I have been dealing with
Old 7/12/11, 02:30 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_Sarge
Hello All;

YES, YES, YES... i've had the same issue. Once the car gets to operating temp, a slight whistling noise (almost sounds like a vacuum leak, OR pressure relief valve whistle)... I brought the car to the dealer AFTER i got the car to replicate the noise. Once i brought it in, they started it, and the noise began immediately. Just received a phone call, and the noise was traced down to the ALTERNATOR.

The noise tricks most...at first it is constant, but disappears when RPMS go under 1000, or when you accelerate. Definitely doesn't sound like a Metal on Metal (Bad Pulley) noise.

I went to the dealer, and they put the car in the air...the noise is coming from the alternator; But sounds like it's coming from the top of the motor when the car is on the ground.

I hope this helps anyone with this same issue; hopefully, it isn't going to be a trend with the new mustangs...
Hey Rocket_Sarge,

Glad to hear you are working with your dealer. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 7/14/11 at 02:32 PM.
Old 7/12/11, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

If the noise is coming from the alternator then it's a failed positive diode in the alternator, should be covered under warranty.
Old 7/13/11, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by hahnsolo78
I took my car to the dealer Monday and they said we could not reproduce the sound. So I drive me car around the next two days until it started again and then drove it to the dealer while it was doing it, two suits were under the hood looking everywhere while I held the throttle at about 2000 rpm and they couldn't say what it was so I am dropping it off for further inspection. I do not have any modifications done to my drivetrain other then a gt500 axel back
Thank you very much, I have brought my car in a few times now and they haven't been able to replicate it once, sounds like the same thing I have been dealing with
Hi hahnsolo78,

Glad to hear you are bringing your vehicle in to your dealer. Could you please message me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer so I can escalate this for you?

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 7/13/11 at 07:26 AM.
Old 7/13/11, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Hi hahnsolo78,

Glad to hear you are bringing your vehicle in to your dealer. Could you please message me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer so I can escalate this for you?

Deysha
I will be contacting you soon with the info, I just wanted to say I didn't wan to imply that I was upset with ford in anyway, it's an intermitten problem and I it's not happening when the tech is looking then there is nothing that can be done. I thank you for your concern in this matter
Old 7/13/11, 05:35 PM

Whistling noise 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

Just wanted to update you all.... The car is now like new. I just picked it up this evening...drove it all over the place, and now NO WHISTLING NOISE. Talking with the service advisor, i had to ask him how they located it.....a stethescope. There is absolutely no noise; and i drove it for about 45 minutes in town, and on the highway; more than enough time/mileage for the noise to start. I'm very satisfied with the dealer. It IS difficult if the dealer can't replicate; frustrating to say the least.

One other thing i'd like to share.....do NOT change your oil before hitting the 5000 mile mark AT LEAST. i believe the book calls for 7500. I HATE going that long...5000 is my usual interval (i use full synthetic). But talking with the service advisor, there was a customer that changed his oil at 3500 miles. it was on a 2011 BOSS... Well, it turned out for the worst. What he didn't realize was that the factory puts the "break in" additive...so when he drained the oil, the engine wasn't properly broken in. It caused major engine damage. FORTUNATELY, the dealer acknowledged that the customer was only trying to PROTECT his car, not HURT IT. The dealer covered the full repair under warranty.

As far as the customer service rep that has replied to these posts: I am impressed!!!! What an awesome way to keep tabs on customer satisfaction, and/or potential issues...

I'm glad i joined this forum.... thank you all.
Old 7/14/11, 07:30 AM

I will be contacting you soon with the info, I just wanted to say I didn't wan to imply that I was upset with ford in anyway, it's an intermitten problem and I it's not happening when the tech is looking then there is nothing that can be done. I thank you for your concern in this matter
I definitely understand hahnsolo. I in no way thought you were upset with your dealer, I figured this was an intermittent concern and wanted to help you and them get it resolved. I'll wait on your info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 7/14/11, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_Sarge
Just wanted to update you all.... The car is now like new. I just picked it up this evening...drove it all over the place, and now NO WHISTLING NOISE. Talking with the service advisor, i had to ask him how they located it.....a stethescope. There is absolutely no noise; and i drove it for about 45 minutes in town, and on the highway; more than enough time/mileage for the noise to start. I'm very satisfied with the dealer. It IS difficult if the dealer can't replicate; frustrating to say the least.

One other thing i'd like to share.....do NOT change your oil before hitting the 5000 mile mark AT LEAST. i believe the book calls for 7500. I HATE going that long...5000 is my usual interval (i use full synthetic). But talking with the service advisor, there was a customer that changed his oil at 3500 miles. it was on a 2011 BOSS... Well, it turned out for the worst. What he didn't realize was that the factory puts the "break in" additive...so when he drained the oil, the engine wasn't properly broken in. It caused major engine damage. FORTUNATELY, the dealer acknowledged that the customer was only trying to PROTECT his car, not HURT IT. The dealer covered the full repair under warranty.

As far as the customer service rep that has replied to these posts: I am impressed!!!! What an awesome way to keep tabs on customer satisfaction, and/or potential issues...

I'm glad i joined this forum.... thank you all.
I'm very happy to hear about this and thank you very much for your kind words!

Deysha
Old 7/17/11, 11:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

So what repair did Ford do to fix your problem?
Old 8/9/11, 04:52 PM

I'm having the same issue with my '11 GT. The noise isn't present at start-up; it takes ~ 20 mins of driving and then it's a whistle (high-pitch noise, almost like disc brake squeal but not as loud) and is only when I have my foot on the gas (rpm >1500). Pitch and amplitude of sound doesn't change with rpm. Noise is present when vehicle is stopped or in motion. Dealer tech said it was "normal"; said it was due to air intake (but it didn't get louder, or quieter when we opened the airfilter box!)...then said it was due to the plastic intake manifold and was "normal." But I asked why it took 20 mins of driving to show up; airflow wasn't changing. Service manager agreed to drive another 5.0 home tonight to see if it has the sound too (i.e., is it normal)...and then will schedule my car for analysis if it's not a normal sound. THANKS for sharing the info on the Alternator!

Has anyone experienced a similar sound that was due to anything else? (such as the electronic throttle-by-wire electric motor?)
Old 8/11/11, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 11GTBlu
I'm having the same issue with my '11 GT. The noise isn't present at start-up; it takes ~ 20 mins of driving and then it's a whistle (high-pitch noise, almost like disc brake squeal but not as loud) and is only when I have my foot on the gas (rpm >1500). Pitch and amplitude of sound doesn't change with rpm. Noise is present when vehicle is stopped or in motion. Dealer tech said it was "normal"; said it was due to air intake (but it didn't get louder, or quieter when we opened the airfilter box!)...then said it was due to the plastic intake manifold and was "normal." But I asked why it took 20 mins of driving to show up; airflow wasn't changing. Service manager agreed to drive another 5.0 home tonight to see if it has the sound too (i.e., is it normal)...and then will schedule my car for analysis if it's not a normal sound. THANKS for sharing the info on the Alternator!

Has anyone experienced a similar sound that was due to anything else? (such as the electronic throttle-by-wire electric motor?)
Hi 11GTBlu,

I’m not sure what the outcome was for this concern. If it was not resolved, I’d like to escalate this for you to help get it resolved. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, current mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 8/12/11, 04:39 PM

Thanks, Deysha. It's good to know you're monitoring the issues we're trying to get resolved. My dealer agrees to take the car in for a closer look to resolve the noise; I'm in the process now of scheduling a day next week when I can live without my car. I'll keep you posted.
Old 8/12/11, 04:46 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Does the whistle go "WOOOOO WOOOOOOOOO!"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JtoW7GrdY

Sorry, the title of the thread just reminded me of that.
Old 8/12/11, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's crazy because my 5.4 has a whistle too. The more I throttle it, the louder it gets.

Quick Reply: 5.0 with a whistle under the hood