Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

5.0 ripped apart faulty cylinder no.2 knocking

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/15, 02:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
oh hey cdynaco so does this mean the new short block will be from the 2014 production batch? (i.e from the short blocks made for 2014s)
That is a possibility/probablity. I'm pretty sure the 2011-2012 supply would be exhausted by now.
However, there were some 2012 owners that had engine issues (#8 piston) during the changeover to the newly redesigned engines for 2013 forward, that were still receiving 2012 short blocks. Didn't make much sense for Ford to replace an engine under warranty with the 'older' design that had a number of failures, but there are threads here that reported that is what happened. The owners were not happy.
Old 1/16/15, 02:20 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I've wondered about that. Does the engine warranty start over with a full 5/60 or do they simply continue on from the point where the original engine gave out? And in his case where they only replaced the short block if the warranty does start over with a full 5/60, what about the heads, cams, chains, valves etc. that weren't replaced? Are those parts still under the original warranty and will expire before the warranty on the short block? And if that is the case, what happens when the top end is out of warranty but the bottom end is still under warranty, and a valve breaks or something in the top in lets go and ruins a piston or ruins the bottom end with shrapnel in the oil, what happens there? Are you on the hook for a whole new engine? Kind of confusing to me.
IIRC from the threads on the #8 failures, the original warranty ran its course 5/60 - so no extension for the new engine or new short block.
I think the only change was if the warranty replacement was nearing the end of your warranty. Seems like then it was 12mos/12k on the new engine.
I could be wrong but that's what I remember off the top of my head. Probably need a lawyer to get the real answer .
Old 1/17/15, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im pretty sure 5/60 doesnt start over just because of new motor because warranty starts when you transfer ownership from ford to us.. Thats like saying my heated seat doesnt work therefore 3/40 should start fresh when its fixed

I hope ill get a 2014 short block i dont think they have 12 anymore
Old 1/17/15, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I cannot speak for Ford... But the manufacturer I work for would warranty the new engine for 12 months or the remainder of the power train warranty. Which ever is longer. I am sure Ford has a mileage limitation also.
Old 1/17/15, 08:04 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I cannot speak for Ford... But the manufacturer I work for would warranty the new engine for 12 months or the remainder of the power train warranty. Which ever is longer. I am sure Ford has a mileage limitation also.
Just guessing as well but I think this would be more in line?
Old 1/21/15, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

I got the weekly update that my short block arrived!! considering im in canada and it took only a week to get here im super excited!
Old 1/21/15, 12:47 PM
Post *****

I got the weekly update that my short block arrived!! considering im in canada and it took only a week to get here im super excited!
Old 1/22/15, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

Does he need to disconnect the transmission to replace that short block?
Old 1/22/15, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Here's a great article on the 5.0 Coyote with lots of engine pics. You might find it interesting to learn about.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...e/viewall.html
Thanks for that link! very interesting.
Old 1/22/15, 06:04 PM
Cobra Member

updated the first post with pictures was a good time to get these coil covers, didnt buy em in time

Last edited by HizliBullet; 1/22/15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 1/22/15, 06:41 PM
Post *****

Does he need to disconnect the transmission to replace that short block?
If you mean disconnect the engine from the trans... but shouldn't have to unbolt the transmission mounts or driveshaft unless that helps them angle the engine to pull it forward and out.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/22/15 at 06:46 PM.
Old 1/22/15, 06:57 PM
Cobra Member

If you mean disconnect the engine from the trans... but shouldn't have to unbolt the transmission mounts or driveshaft unless that helps them angle the engine to pull it forward and out.
yeah what do you think of the work so far? lookin good?
Old 1/22/15, 07:40 PM
Post *****

yeah what do you think of the work so far? lookin good?
Looks great! Everything is laid out neatly and clean.

Now remember... many reported excessive oil usage out of the 5.0 for the first 1000 miles or so (usually from guys that were babying it too much ). Many didn't check their oil and ran 2 qts+ low.

So check your oil often!
Old 1/22/15, 07:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Change the motor mounts, install long tube headers..... Dang good thing that's not my car lol I'd be paying extra at this point to void the new warranty!
Old 1/22/15, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

Looks great! Everything is laid out neatly and clean.

Now remember... many reported excessive oil usage out of the 5.0 for the first 1000 miles or so (usually from guys that were babying it too much ). Many didn't check their oil and ran 2 qts+ low.

So check your oil often!
wait...so do you mean at first it runs with excessive oil then it leaks somehow and becomes 2 quartz less than its required?
Old 1/22/15, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

wait...so do you mean at first it runs with excessive oil then it leaks somehow and becomes 2 quartz less than its required?
Nah. Some Coyotes are known to eat a bit of oil when they are breaking in, and when this happens and people don't check the oil level regularly, they end up running low on oil. Just check the oil on a regular basis as it breaks in to make sure you don't run low.
Old 1/22/15, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SplitSecond
Nah. Some Coyotes are known to eat a bit of oil when they are breaking in, and when this happens and people don't check the oil level regularly, they end up running low on oil. Just check the oil on a regular basis as it breaks in to make sure you don't run low.
will do. but more importantly, does this fiasco mean my odometer will reset or continue? if continue, what are the parameters that contribute to mileage counter ticking if this isn't enough to reset it?
Old 1/22/15, 08:18 PM
Post *****

Nobody reported leaks around the engine or puddles on the garage floor. Which means the oil had to be burned.

So the assumption is it takes a bit longer for piston rings to 'seat' (wear in so they make a good seal in the cylinder under the compression stroke) in the 5.0 compared to other engines. After 1000 miles or so, or after guys finally ran them hard, the oil consumption went away. There's a number of threads here for the 2011 forward GT and Boss. And sadly, it shows many guys don't lift their hood and check their oil and other fluids.

Whereas the previous engine - the 4.6L3V didn't have that issue. Mine never used hardly any oil, and this last change (at 30k miles) used 1/2 qt after 5500 miles.

So I'd check that oil every 100 miles or so until you are confident it's not using excessive oil.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/22/15 at 08:20 PM.
Old 1/23/15, 12:28 PM
Cobra Member

Nobody reported leaks around the engine or puddles on the garage floor. Which means the oil had to be burned.

So the assumption is it takes a bit longer for piston rings to 'seat' (wear in so they make a good seal in the cylinder under the compression stroke) in the 5.0 compared to other engines. After 1000 miles or so, or after guys finally ran them hard, the oil consumption went away. There's a number of threads here for the 2011 forward GT and Boss. And sadly, it shows many guys don't lift their hood and check their oil and other fluids.

Whereas the previous engine - the 4.6L3V didn't have that issue. Mine never used hardly any oil, and this last change (at 30k miles) used 1/2 qt after 5500 miles.

So I'd check that oil every 100 miles or so until you are confident it's not using excessive oil.
okay i will monitor it every 100 miles, what do you think of my comment 2 posts above?
Old 1/23/15, 12:42 PM
Post *****

will do. but more importantly, does this fiasco mean my odometer will reset or continue? if continue, what are the parameters that contribute to mileage counter ticking if this isn't enough to reset it?
I assume you mean the oil change monitor? My 08 Bullitt doesn't have that gadget so I don't know. Even if it did I wouldn't use it. lol
I like checking in on my engine and I keep a written maintenance log of dates and mileage. Old school stuff.

If you mean the mileage odometer, it's illegal to change that.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/23/15 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.0 ripped apart faulty cylinder no.2 knocking